another psychiatric diagnosis under my belt

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

EUncle

Re: another psychiatric diagnosis under my belt

Post by EUncle »

Kayla wrote:KM is useful if you are in a fight who is in a good boxing stance and you cant really get a good upper body or head shot in

then you kick him in the kneecaps or gonads.

i mean why would you want to box a boxer that is dumb

now i am doing mma cause there is no KM in my area, and learning more of the ground fighting stuff - KM does not really get into that much, focusing in just avoiding it

sparring that includes head shots is good in that you find out that if you are punched in the head and see stars and get an instant headache its not actually so bad you can keep going - which can be vital in a real fight

you just dont want to do too much of that cause you will start getting brain damage
My KM is, I guess, non-traditional. We are learning ground fighting (Rolling) and mixing KM w/ Russian Sambo.

Thanks for the info.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

One thing you should clarify if you believe that there is a possibility of a physical confrontation. There is a point in a confrontation where you could turn from the victim being attacked, to the aggressor. The situation that comes to mind is if your attacker goes down and you continue to strike him. There is a legal difference between when you may consider the attacker to no longer be a threat, and when the law has determined that the attacker is no longer a threat, they are not always the same.

another point form personal experience, I used to attend Karate tournaments as a spectator. And it was amusing to watch the Kumite, as the practitioners from various schools would come out and strike a stance at the start. Once the kicks and punches started, they all looked the same, so much for style. Try to observe some actual combat, MMA is good for that, and pick a style that looks like that when they work out.

Myself, I studied Isshin-Ryu, less for the fighting, and more for the philosophical content. I was reading a lot of Buddhism and saw working out as a way of meditating and focusing my mind. It has been said that first you learn the Kata, and then you learn from the Kata. Recently I have applied that principle to the piano, in that I learn to play a piece from memory, and then allow the piece to teach me how to play it.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:Ducking is wasted time, potentially leaving one wide open. ...
Even seen Mike Tyson?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-22RvoxJU_I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KJKKHH49gI

Should have added, bob and weave.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Mon May 05, 2014 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:...

Additionally stretch, is a very big part of the practice sessions, so as to affect being extremely limber, and loose, a natural stress reducer, and speed enabler, speed being the most important part of any block/counter attack, in self defense.
Not much good when you get old and slow. I'd have thought Timing the most important part.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

thedoc wrote:One thing you should clarify if you believe that there is a possibility of a physical confrontation. There is a point in a confrontation where you could turn from the victim being attacked, to the aggressor. The situation that comes to mind is if your attacker goes down and you continue to strike him. There is a legal difference between when you may consider the attacker to no longer be a threat, and when the law has determined that the attacker is no longer a threat, they are not always the same.
Yup, same as over here, its called 'reasonable force', i.e. you can use as much force as you like put you'll have to prove it was reasonable afterwards. Its a tricky and vague area but simply if you are a ten-stone weedy you can use a baseball bat to put down a twenty-stone aggressor but you can't then jump on his head for ten minutes.
another point form personal experience, I used to attend Karate tournaments as a spectator. And it was amusing to watch the Kumite, as the practitioners from various schools would come out and strike a stance at the start. Once the kicks and punches started, they all looked the same, so much for style. Try to observe some actual combat, MMA is good for that, and pick a style that looks like that when they work out.
:) On the kumite.

From the look of it you need wrestling, gracie jujitsu, boxing and muay thai for the complete package. Another thing is that in a real-life one-to-one it normally ends up as wrestling, where upon yo need the Senshido Shredder :)
Myself, I studied Isshin-Ryu, less for the fighting, and more for the philosophical content. ...
Wise words.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

EUncle wrote:My KM is, I guess, non-traditional. We are learning ground fighting (Rolling) and mixing KM w/ Russian Sambo.

Thanks for the info.
dont know that there is such a thing as traditional km - there are a number of KM organizations

i did mine with international krav maga federation - they get a bit into getting up when someone is trying to get you down or sit on you or chocke you or whatever - but they focus on striking and kicking

no KM of any sort in my neck of the woods now so i have been doing mma so learning more about rolling around on the ground

which km organizations are you wtih?
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

on medical advise i tried stopping welbutrin altogether - not a good idea - back on it on doctors advice

without it i need about 4 to 8 hours a day more sleep and will have major crying fits over nothing
EUncle

Post by EUncle »

Kayla wrote:
EUncle wrote:My KM is, I guess, non-traditional. We are learning ground fighting (Rolling) and mixing KM w/ Russian Sambo.

Thanks for the info.
dont know that there is such a thing as traditional km - there are a number of KM organizations

i did mine with international krav maga federation - they get a bit into getting up when someone is trying to get you down or sit on you or chocke you or whatever - but they focus on striking and kicking

no KM of any sort in my neck of the woods now so i have been doing mma so learning more about rolling around on the ground

which km organizations are you wtih?
This is a Krav Maga World Wide school, but the lead instructor deviates from the some of the traditional forms based on his real-life experiences. It's good to learn knife defense from someone who has knife scars :-)
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Kayla wrote:...

without it i need about 4 to 8 hours a day more sleep and will have major crying fits over nothing
Could it be withdrawal symptoms?
madera

Post by madera »

Kayla wrote:my shrink sent me for more testing

according to the testing i also have aspergers in addition to the borderline personality disorder i have had for years

maybe i should start a collection
They find names to apply such as aspergers to someone with an emotional problem that was a result of childhood experiences that were traumatic and not resolved.
That can be overcome by realizing that it is the result of unresolved anger.
The simple solution is forgiveness.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

Arising_uk wrote:

it is possible

however i am on the lowest possible dose of wellbutrin - 75 mg - and part of the symptoms it was prescribed for were major fits of histrionics - and it did help

so there is a good chance that thats just me without wellbutrin
madera

Post by madera »

Kayla wrote:
Arising_uk wrote:

it is possible

however i am on the lowest possible dose of wellbutrin - 75 mg - and part of the symptoms it was prescribed for were major fits of histrionics - and it did help

so there is a good chance that thats just me without wellbutrin[/quote?

I don't know how old you are, but since you have been seeing a shrink have they brought up the cause of your problem while you are on meds or aren't you curious?
They must be talking, do you pay attention?
While you are on meds, please pay heed to what they see, unless you want to remain on meds all your life.
Once you are free of the past, you will be free of what you are suppressing and you will no longer suffer from stress.

has your
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

madera wrote: I don't know how old you are, but since you have been seeing a shrink have they brought up the cause of your problem while you are on meds or aren't you curious?
when i was 13 i was diagnosed with a bunch of psychiatric things and then a few more were added over the years (I am 19 now)

depression, various learning disabilities, borderline personality disorder, aspergers, you name it

the main problem basically was my major fits of histrionics

after trying various meds with varous side effects, i was put on a low dose of wellbutrin which reduced the histrionics to managable level - without any apparent side effects except maybe more weird dreams and a bit of insomnia

this was followed by lots of psychotherapy and eventually anger management classes after i smashed some douchebag's face into his desk in class - dont get me wrong i maintain he was a douchebag but my resposne was entirely inappropriate

oh and just growing up that also happened.

i think all i really have is the depression
madera

Post by madera »

It sounds like your med is doing it's job.
The reason I believe it would wonderful to overcome the cause of your anger.
You are only 19 and one day you may get married and have children and you would'nt
want to pass your anger onto them.
I want to say, I was once in your shoes, perhaps worse.
I had children and I passed my anger onto them, kids can really bring out the truth.

When I realized my mistakes, guilt overtook me and I cried out to God and I realized I needed help. I am not a religious person, but, I began to change. My anger fell away all by itself. I began to took a good look at myself honestly,
I didn't mean to go this far. I realized My anger began by hating my mother.
I realized she could not help herself and when I forgave her my anger fell away.
Anger is a killer.

sorry I went this far, but I thought it could help you.
I meditate now, I receive insight from it.
haveva good night and sleep well.
madera
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

madera wrote:It sounds like your med is doing it's job.
The reason I believe it would wonderful to overcome the cause of your anger.
i think the cause is a chemical imbalance that the welbutrin keeps corrected

and psychotherapy and anger management took care of a large part of htat as well

my twin brother does not have a temper control issue (i cant remember the last time i saw him angry at all) and my other brothers are pretty calm too - so i think its just be
You are only 19 and one day you may get married and have children and you would'nt
want to pass your anger onto them.
i am married

we are in the process of adopting a child

event at my worst i never lost my temper with children

when my peers knew me as the psycho girl parents of little kids knew me as the kid whisperer i could deal with the worst kids, got paid more than twice the going rate for babysitting