What causes porn addiction???

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

chaz wyman
Posts: 5305
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: What causes porn addiction???

Post by chaz wyman » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:10 pm

bobevenson wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:
bobevenson wrote:Porn addiction is caused by the same thing as potato-chip addiction.

Well you'd know!
Of course, because I'm Bob the Baptist, the new guru, the modern messiah, the wizard of Ouzo!

No because you are Bob the porn addicted wanker.

lancek4
Posts: 1131
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: What causes porn addiction???

Post by lancek4 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:45 am

janetjay wrote:I don't have that addiction myself, but have seen it before.

Is it the act of seeing others genitals go in and out of eachother that is so addicting, or is it that they pretend that person they are seeing is their partner?

Both?

None of them...please explain!
Hi JJ. Wow! People sure have ALOT to say about porn !
I don't know if you are still followinng this thread and I havnt gone through the 15pgs to see if you got your answer. But is seems the topic has gone on a tangent (as they will).

I would like to offer this:

Your question seems to assume porn addiction. I have to ask if it indeed so or are you wondering if what you have come accross if P addiction, or perhaps you are doing a study. ?

The first question must be asked: Is there a Problem?
Who does the issue center upon?

Is it the person observing the behavior or the person itself?

I submit that the causes of any addiction are incidental because if there is addiction it no longer has to do with what happened in the past.
Treating addiction from the symptoms (the past traumas or whatever) is a stop gap. Relapse is a part of This kind of treatment.

The most effective treatment is for the addict to see that indeed they are an addict, no matter what form it takes.

From there the only issue at hand is if they really are done with it. If they can see they are an addict and have not gotten absolutely fed up with it then - God help you, him or her. Its gonna suck.

Usually, though, the problem is more about the other person observing the addict. It is more about the concern and care for the addict and the codependancy thereof.

Of course I am not speaking colloquially of addiction when we are talking about obsession or other mental disurbances.

Philosphically, addiction is the fixation of the subject upon the object. It occurs when the Subject has been so depleted of its self through the seeking of self in the object. When no other solution is offered, and the object is the only route for the subject, the subject moves into 'addiction' where the self has been rejected by its own being, so oriented upon the object of truth, and thus 'reapproaches' the object withe renewed vigor and 'gets lost' in the solution of the object, which does not exist.

bobevenson
Posts: 7349
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 am
Contact:

Re: What causes porn addiction???

Post by bobevenson » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:34 pm

"Porn addiction is caused by the same thing as potato-chip addiction."

"Well you'd know!"

"Of course, because I'm Bob the Baptist, the new guru, the modern messiah, the wizard of Ouzo!"

"No because you are Bob the porn-addicted wanker, who craves potato chips."

User avatar
ForgedinHell
Posts: 763
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:26 am
Location: Pueblo West, CO

Re: What causes porn addiction???

Post by ForgedinHell » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:38 am

It's for the same reason a chicken will hump an aritificial chicken. We never had to deal with porn during our evolution, so we never developed defenses against it.

User avatar
ForgedinHell
Posts: 763
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:26 am
Location: Pueblo West, CO

Re: What causes porn addiction???

Post by ForgedinHell » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:03 pm

Satyr wrote:In the case of the **** porn is his entire love-life.
It's in the works of Steven Pinker. You know, the person whom you claim to have read just days ago? Unlike you, I actually read the books I reference.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests