Silence does not mean the deep sleep, which is total unawareness.

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

dattaswami

Silence does not mean the deep sleep, which is total unawareness.

Post by dattaswami »

REALIZE SIGNIFICANCE THROUGH ANALYSIS

[Shri Guna Darsana from Bali, Indonesia requested Swamiji to give a message for the enlightenment of Hindus in Indonesia, who celebrate NYEPI Day (One Day Silence) this month end. Given below is Shri Swami’s response.]

It is a matter of happiness to note that people are celebrating a specific day as the day of silence. Silence is called as Samaadhi and the person adopting silence (Mounam) is called as the sage (Muni). Silence does not mean the deep sleep, which is total unawareness. The deep sleep involves the unawareness of the awareness of this world and also the unawareness of this world. Silence involves the awareness of your unawareness of the absolute unimaginable God. The deep sleep is the climax of unawareness or ignorance. The silence is the climax of the knowledge, which is awareness. This silence is the next step after concentration (Dhyana) as per the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. Concentration here means the deep analysis about the knowledge of the absolute God.

The Veda also says that there are four stages. The first stage is called as ‘Vaisva’, which is the awareness of the world in the awakened state (Jaagrat). The second stage is called as ‘Taijasa’, which represents the awareness of the world created by mind in the state of dream (Swapna). The third stage is called as ‘Praajna’, which is the total non-awareness involving the non-awareness of awareness and non-awareness in the state of deep sleep (Sushupti). These three states are common to all the living beings and the concept of God does not exist here. The fourth stage is called as ‘Turiyam’, which is the awareness of non-awareness of the absolute unimaginable God. This fourth state is limited to very few people, who are the seekers of God as said ‘Turiyam Brahma’.

This is the final concept of the spiritual knowledge and is the foundation of world peace. If all the universal religions understand that the original God is unimaginable, the conflict between religions disappears. If the religions take the absolute God as imaginable and understood, there will be multiplicity in the concepts. The reason for this multiplicity is that this imaginable creation is constituted by several imaginable items. Each religion selects a specific imaginable item as the absolute God and this results in the multiplicity and conflict of religions. Therefore, the way of silence indicates the awareness through realization of the unimaginable ultimate God, thereby leading to the end of inter-religious wars resulting in the world peace. You may argue that Shankara said that God is the result of deep sleep (Sushuptyeka siddhah).

But, here, you should understand that the word Sushupti here is limited to the unawareness relating to absolute God only. If you argue that Sushupti is the original deep sleep, you cannot conclude that God is the result of deep sleep since you are in total unawareness. The point that you are passing on this statement indicates that you are in the awareness of the concept relating to God. Here, the word awareness should be taken as the process of knowing God or world and should not be taken as the form of energy as an item. By this the word awareness need not be taken as God as per the Advaita philosophers. The process or work is never accepted as God by the Advaita philosopher. In fact, the awareness itself is only a specific work and this is the main reason to deny that awareness is God. Hence, the awareness taken as an item or substratum is only an illusion based on which you are trying to establish awareness is God.

On this day, you are not speaking any word indicating that God cannot be described by any word (Yato Vachah… Veda) due to His actual unimaginable nature. Shankara also defined that the absolute God can be explained only through silence (Mouna Vyakhya…). Your mind and intelligence must be silent indicating that God cannot be thought by mind and that God cannot be discussed by any logic of any intelligence. You should be aware of such unimaginable God, so that this day of silence becomes fruitful. If you think about the worldly issues or sleep without thinking anything, this day is useless. Even though you talk and if your talks are concentrated on this concept, still, you are participating on the day of silence. Therefore, you should realize the significance of anything through the analysis and arriving at the right conclusions of knowledge, to be followed by the practice that gives the fruit.
Iwannaplato

Re: Silence does not mean the deep sleep, which is total unawareness.

Post by Iwannaplato »

dattaswami wrote:
I have the courage to ......
I have the broad mind to...
Do you have the courage to consider that the way you are approaching people here is disrespectful?
To wonder if perhaps lecturing people and starting dozens of threads, often in subforums where they do not belong, might be rude and even counterproductive for your own goals?
Do you have a broad enough mind to consider that your own psychological needs might be determining how you approach people and even seem to not really care about their reactions and interests?
Do you have the courage to focus on discussing your ideas rather than vomiting them out, especially given that this is a discussion forum and not a blog?
How did you decide you had courage?
How did you decide you have a broad mind?
Have you decided that you have courage and a broad mind and will never reevaluate?
Can you take feedback and criticism into account and perhaps adjust or even more deeply change your approach to other people?
Is it possible that you think you are sharing good and lovely truths, but actually for you psychologically it is a way for you to feel special and even dominate others?
Could both be true?
What might be a better way to interact with people, one that would show them that you consider them at least potential equals not just receipients of your knowledge?
Walker

Post by Walker »

- In deep sleep you are without the thoughts required to form a self-concept.
- Without thought there is no self-concept, there is no “I,” thought.

- “I Think Therefore I Am” … references the Am that is self-concept.

- “I Think, Therefore I Am” is not referencing the living body.
- It just references mind machinations.

- Am (existence) precedes I.

- Concepts of existence do not precede existence, although concepts of existence can change action that affect existence.

- Therefore, I requires Am.

- Am, does not require I.

- Therefore: I Am, Therefore I Think.

- Thinking is an aspect of Being.

- Thinking is not a requirement of Being.

- Thinking is a requirement for the thought of Self-Concept.

- Knowledge of existence via thought is not the definition of existence.
- The living body is the definition of existence.

- Thought is a natural quality of existence in the life forms where it exists.

- Without thought, there is no definition of existence, or awareness, or the Self-concept formed by the “I” thought.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:20 pm I Am, Therefore I Think.
Keep at it, Walker; you'll get the hang of it eventually.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

dattaswami wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:57 am REALIZE SIGNIFICANCE THROUGH ANALYSIS

[Shri Guna Darsana from Bali, Indonesia requested Swamiji to give a message for the enlightenment of Hindus in Indonesia, who celebrate NYEPI Day (One Day Silence) this month end. Given below is Shri Swami’s response.]
Merry Christmas, Indonesia.

Regards, Santa Swamiji. 8)
Walker

Post by Walker »

Harbal wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:27 pm
Walker wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:20 pm I Am, Therefore I Think.
Keep at it, Walker; you'll get the hang of it eventually.
Eventually Harbal, you will dare to venture off the coat tails and begin to Think, although you already Are.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:36 pm
Eventually Harbal, you will dare to venture off the coat tails and begin to Think, although you already Are.
I don't know what you mean, Walker, but, fortunately, I don't care what you mean. 8)
Walker

Post by Walker »

Harbal wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:42 pm
I don't know what you mean, Walker, but, fortunately, I don't care what you mean. 8)
That is a great biblical truth that you’ve seen illustrated in life, young Harbal.

I would have to be as dumb as you imagine to not know that.

1 Corinthians 13.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=KJV

I, The Unfair To You, was the uncharitable one, in the causation that the chapter describes.

'Tis a karmic role I bear, knowing the causation.
You need a bit of muck for the lily to bloom, glasshopper.

The bible maps your choiceless way more than you suspect, more than you will admit to the uncharitable one.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:31 pm
That is a great biblical truth that you’ve seen illustrated in life, young Harbal.
I'm not interested in anything biblical, Walker.
I would have to be as dumb as you imagine
Well you haven't let me down so far. 👍
Walker

Post by Walker »

:lol:

You are a role, Harbal.

Your role is a Foil.
(Don't worry, it's a good thing for your purpose.)

Others here are different roles.
Some are inspectors.
You could make a list of the rest that ends with,

A few actually provide the grist by getting closer to the gist.