Near Death Experience?

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Belinda

Re: Near Death Experience?

Post by Belinda »

Yes, when I was on a bolting horse. My senses were more alert.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

How is that even possible? Horses have hooves, not hands... so there's no fingers to grasp a bolt.

How was he cranking it? Some kind of wrench attached to his hoof or something?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

promethean75 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:15 am How is that even possible? Horses have hooves, not hands... so there's no fingers to grasp a bolt.

How was he cranking it? Some kind of wrench attached to his hoof or something?
Are you joking? I ask because you omit any smiley or razz emoticon.

I get a lot of that sort of teasing from one of my sons so I don't mind it but sometimes am a little slow on the uptake.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

My selfish B**ch sister and my selfish C**t father both had near death experiences today, little did they know it.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

They didn't die? Dammit man! Hate it when that happens.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

promethean75 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:45 pm They didn't die? Dammit man! Hate it when that happens.
Yeah, and I almost killed myself today listening to as much Gentle Giant as I could bare...stands out as quite the miracle that Derek Shulman signed Tears for Fears - you should jump on to WIKI_P and update it to mention that!
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

It is indeed some of the strangest shit you will ever hear. An acquired taste, especially popular among musicians more so than the consumer public. Very compositional and not much in the way of what Zappa called the 'pedestrian beat'... predictable, uniform and easy to tap your foot to.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

promethean75 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:35 pm It is indeed some of the strangest shit you will ever hear. An acquired taste, especially popular among musicians more so than the consumer public. Very compositional and not much in the way of what Zappa called the 'pedestrian beat'... predictable, uniform and easy to tap your foot to.
So are you a fan?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Hells yeah I'm a fan! Gentle Giant rocks, dude. I'm a total prog-rock geek tho, and I play guitar and drums, so.

Here check out some live stuff. These dudes are like bards straight out of a Tolkien novel.

https://youtu.be/mI8dBOIuG9I
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

promethean75 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:49 pm Hells yeah I'm a fan! Gentle Giant rocks, dude. I'm a total prog-rock geek tho, and I play guitar and drums, so.

Here check out some live stuff. These dudes are like bards straight out of a Tolkien novel.

I actually quite liked that, of all the song I attempted to get through today, that one I actually did. Some of the guitar reminded me of John Williams - I love Sky as far as old 70s stuff goes, to me it's conceivable to consider such music as a catalyst to some of the music in the much later rave scene.

- eg this:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mfgPOn ... 6EtodEA-2U

btw, I was in diapers when that was out!
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Yo I could name ten GG songs nearly identical to that 'sky' song. Yup, that's that old fat analog prog sound that wuz popular when new synthesizer tech became available in the mid seventies. The transition from prog to pop occured when the commercial music industry exploded and as a result, turned utterly mass produced and formulaic... and all the prog musicians were never heard from again.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

promethean75 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:49 pm Hells yeah I'm a fan! Gentle Giant rocks, dude. I'm a total prog-rock geek tho, and I play guitar and drums, so.

What do you like about the music? It sounds like crap, to be honest. I mean, the musicianship may be legendary for all I know but they produced a pile of shit with whatever talent they possessed. It's entirely possible they may not be a pretentious band but I can't imagine anyone listening to that and claiming they like it out of anything but epic pretentiousness.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

promethean75 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:24 pm My ways are strange Gary...
I actually like that piece a little better than the other one. The music is kind of strange but at least seems to fit the theme of the lyrics, I guess. Still, I prefer things that are a little more melodic. When I was younger I listened to a good bit of "experimental" music because all the "cool" kids in school listened to things like that but I didn't really get the point of any of it. Kudos if you do.