Near Death Experience?

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Zarathustra

Near Death Experience?

Post by Zarathustra »

Has anyone had near death experience? Or fear of death experience?
What was it like? What was going through your mind when faced with the experience or thoughts?
Gary Childress

Re: Near Death Experience?

Post by Gary Childress »

Zarathustra wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:18 am Has anyone had near death experience? Or fear of death experience?
What was it like? What was going through your mind when faced with the experience or thoughts?
I've had psychoses before where I was convinced I was about to die or an end was coming for me. I mostly felt paranoid and extremely fearful. Although a couple of times I had the delusion that I was being poisoned like Socrates with my meds and I willingly took the pills, thinking I'd go down heroically.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Zarathustra wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:18 am Has anyone had near death experience? Or fear of death experience?
Yes, when I was born.
Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:37 am

Yes, when I was born.
Do you remember your birth?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Zarathustra wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:49 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:37 am

Yes, when I was born.
Do you remember your birth?
No.

Not in any way, shape or form. But logically, I was close to my most recent death.
Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:44 pm
No.

Not in any way, shape or form. But logically, I was close to my most recent death.
How does one die logically, or be close to one's own logical death?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Zarathustra wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:21 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:44 pm
No.

How does one die logically, or be close to one's own logical death?
Apparently, I was running late for work, so I climbed a fence and took a shortcut across a runway...got hit by a Jumbo-Jet.

Then I was reincarnated (apparently).
Walker

Post by Walker »

One night long ago I was driving home. Very late. Dark. A fast highway.

I was on the inside of a long curve. The divider between east and west lanes was a guard rail supported by posts high enough to block the headlights from oncoming traffic.

A car was up ahead on the other side of the guardrail, heading east to my west. High speed, both of us.

Something wasn’t right, then I saw it. The posts were not breaking up the pattern of the headlights from the approaching car. The lights were steady. As I realized this, I changed lanes away from the middle, although because of the curve, the speed, the bright lights, and the fraction of time all this happened, the decision making was more instinct than thought.

The instant I changed lanes the car passed me, inches away, in the lane I had just occupied. My car shook with the speed and the closeness.

The other driver was on the wrong side of the highway, and it was just the two of us.

Instant death passed me by.

Afterwards, I marveled.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

There is no such thing as a, "near death," experience. You are either dead or alive. As a child we used to say, "a miss is as good as a mile." If you are not dead, you couldn't be further from it until it actually happens. When it does, it's an experience you'll never regret or worry about.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

I've previously shared my experience on this forum. Basically, I was internally bleeding to death slowly over 24 hrs while waiting for emergency help to arrive. Near the end, my veins were collapsing and I was told by the doctor afterward, that I was within a few hours of death and it was unusual that none of my organs had been damaged. But (I remember) at the time somehow going into a detached state and knowing that I needed to shut my body down to minimal operation. I laid motionless, feeling the agony of the body, waiting to see if "the humans saved the body, so that I could stay". I don't know where that perspective came from -- I simply had no attachment (in that state) and honestly did not feel a care for one way or the other. All human judgments and needs and desires and fears were absent, and it was as if I was hanging in a vast space of awareness (like space with no stars) -- not thinking about anything... just aware. The experience is fascinating to remember and try to describe in human thought.

The experience of being aware in the absence of human thoughts/judgments left an impression on me that has remained ever since: I do not fear the death/loss of them. Also, I treasure this physical world/life/experience while I'm here, but I do not think it's all there is. I don't claim to know what else there is, but I (at least) experienced awareness (and acceptance) without all the human thoughts and stories... so their importance/truth seems questionable. 8)
Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra »

I did not have near death experience as such, but was thinking wrongly that I might have a terminal illness.
My thought about death was so sure and real, that I was slowly progressing into the dark mixed emotions of fear, sadness and depression and all those negative emotions rolled into one. It was very intense feeling I have never experienced before.

Nothing seemed matter, and really what I was sad and depressed about was from the fact that I will have to give up all the things that I used to liked and loved such as readings (I bought loads of new books that I wanted to read), but thought of I was not going to finish reading was very depressing. And all the things that I have been doing may just end in the middle without completion which was also painful feeling.
At that time, I thought if I could get the health back, and the possible terminal illness will go away, then I would be happy no matter what I have to give up, even the whole world, everything I have and own, it didn't matter. I will start again.

Later I found out the terminal illness scare was just an illusion. I was fine and healthy. I started working out again, and got fit.
But it was a some weird and thought provoking experience of few days.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Zarathustra wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:32 pm I did not have near death experience as such, but was thinking wrongly that I might have a terminal illness.
If you know you are alive, you must also know your dead.

We're all terminally ill, in that we're all dying to live, and living to die, even though we all know, we're neither dead nor alive.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Zarathustra wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:32 pm I did not have near death experience as such, but was thinking wrongly that I might have a terminal illness.
My thought about death was so sure and real, that I was slowly progressing into the dark mixed emotions of fear, sadness and depression and all those negative emotions rolled into one. It was very intense feeling I have never experienced before.

Nothing seemed matter, and really what I was sad and depressed about was from the fact that I will have to give up all the things that I used to liked and loved such as readings (I bought loads of new books that I wanted to read), but thought of I was not going to finish reading was very depressing. And all the things that I have been doing may just end in the middle without completion which was also painful feeling.
At that time, I thought if I could get the health back, and the possible terminal illness will go away, then I would be happy no matter what I have to give up, even the whole world, everything I have and own, it didn't matter. I will start again.

Later I found out the terminal illness scare was just an illusion. I was fine and healthy. I started working out again, and got fit.
But it was a some weird and thought provoking experience of few days.
...which goes to show it's just too easy to jump to conclusions and make oneself unnecessarily miserable. I think this kind of experience happens to most people at some point. Having it once should make one suspicious the next time that feeling comes around. Reality can be bad enough without imagination making it worse.
Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:29 am
If you know you are alive, you must also know your dead.

We're all terminally ill, in that we're all dying to live, and living to die, even though we all know, we're neither dead nor alive.
Life looks very weird that people born, live, struggle, achieve a lot, and then get old and be gone. Even the most famous successful celebrities and powerful rich and intelligent people, there is no exception. All getting old everyday and dying. We hear everyday someone famous has died, and it just never stops. Strange world and surreal life for sure for all living beings on earth.
Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra »

Dubious wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:58 pm
...which goes to show it's just too easy to jump to conclusions and make oneself unnecessarily miserable. I think this kind of experience happens to most people at some point. Having it once should make one suspicious the next time that feeling comes around. Reality can be bad enough without imagination making it worse.
When it happens to anyone, it will be very philosophical experience of life. Trust me. But be calm, and don't rush to any conclusions on anything. Be open minded and optimistic always.