The older I get, the smarter I feel, and the stupider I become

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: The older I get, the smarter I feel, and the stupider I become

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Walker wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:06 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:08 am
Walker wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:36 pm
You don't say. I suppose that's why it came after the Hendrix, "original."
Fool. I agree with Frank. 'Cover' is too difficult for fools to grasp so why use it? Probably something the yanks first thought up. Do people really need to have a word for 'singing a song written by someone else'? Or, 'singing a song that someone else released commercially (but not necessarily a song written by someone else if you are the first to release it (or even the second, or all of Elvis' songs would be 'covers', and not if a song is assosiated with one perso, even if that person didn't write the song etc. etc. etc. etc.....)
It's all about the numbers.
All about the math.
About the bridge connecting clarity with your confusion.

Check your dates.

From the link of it:
"Los Angeles 23.05.1984. Los Angeles, CA - Tour Rehearsals"

That number 1984 is the time coordinate.
Like the Orwell novel.

The Hendrix "original" was years before 1984.

That means the original precedes the cover.
Okay so far.

However, seeing as how Dylan wrote the song the question remains ...

Is the 1984 version by Dylan, a cover?
You are too stupid to deal with.
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:09 am You are too stupid to deal with.
Seemed like a flashy style to me, ironically ...

:lol:

The real McCoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQsQ01cffLM

A great video cover. (The video is worth the click, for it finishes with transcending a barrier!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkKh4O1-F8k

A great Dylan cover (My favourite, how about you?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8ojhmyXJA8
-1-

Post by -1- »

Walker wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:21 pm
-1- wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:20 am
Walker wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:07 am This talented artist does a great Jimi Hendrix cover.

Here, covering John Mayer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9L0zAit4_4
She does a great cover all right, by not covering up much.

Walker, is Jess your granddaughter?
It’s about the music, man.

Besides, I’ve learned not to blink or look away from beauty, for it surrounds me always, where I walk.
(Or is it, to not blink?)

Check out this talent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2nMo-Tt9R0

I would definitely support her career with a ticket purchase.
I bet Gary would.

Honestly, how about you?
Honestly? I am now in a relationship with a lady which relationship resembles marriage.

Consequently I've learned to think that honesty is a very bad policy.

The young lady on the screen is certainly one of the most charming and becoming individual I've seen in a while. She's lovely, and her efforts are admirable. This was actually honest, no snow in this one.
-1-

Post by -1- »

"Boogie Woogie Country Girl" by Joe Turner was like a unit made of the following ingredients: 1/3 Little Richard, 1/3 Chuck Berry, and 1/3 Slim Harpo. I really enjoyed it. Piano Riff of Richard, tempo and arrangement of Berry, and cleanliness (discipline lacking in Little Richard) of Harpo.
Walker

Post by Walker »

-1-: Honestly? I am now in a relationship with a lady which relationship resembles marriage.

W: Resemble as in root, or leaves?
The only way it can resemble the root is if public vows have been spoken before God and witnesses, to be etched into both the civil records and the akashic records, if you're hip to that.
:wink:

If it only resembles the leaves of marriage and not the root, then you’re probably shacking up.

-1-: Consequently I've learned to think that honesty is a very bad policy.

W: :) Root or leaves, the boat ride is less choppy with an honest compliment on every sighting, for the rest of your life, if you think it resembles the root.

-1-: The young lady on the screen is certainly one of the most charming and becoming individual I've seen in a while. She's lovely, and her efforts are admirable. This was actually honest, no snow in this one.

W: That’s the beauty that she sees in herself, that she presents for her own reasons; that’s the beauty you see and accept, without wishing otherwise or condemning. That makes you kind.

I have a clear memory from long ago. Daylight, driving, homeless woman dressed in rags walking towards me on the side of the road, pulling a small wire cart filled with her stuff. Snapshot: Late forties. Bright red cheeks from the weather. Kinda narrow at the shoulder and wide at the hip. Scarf around her head to frame her face. Round face like a lighthouse beaming happy, the coo-coo kind.

Side mirror snapshot of the rear view after passing: Tied to the back of her little cart, properly aligned, beamed the same face, her face, looking at me as she walked away, facing the world behind her while she looked ahead.

It was a plastic Halloween mask, a cheap one made of hard plastic, like a kid would wear. It looked much like her. Round face, same bright red cheeks, only these were painted and not chapped into flesh that she may have once softened with expensive creams in the past behind her. Same searchlight eyes. Same coo-coo happy. Janus watching for the spirits. But also, a sense of humor under all that apparent suffering.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Look at how fast attitudes and humour changes, in your own lifetime.

How many un-PC notes does this hit?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M4_Ommfvv0

Now, you got rappers who can’t sing, unremarkable for their humour.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Walker wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:22 pm -1- wrote: Honestly? I am now in a relationship with a lady which relationship resembles marriage.
The only way it can resemble the root is if public vows have been spoken before God and witnesses, to be etched into both the civil records and the akashic records
Isn't "root" a state of mind which is not assured by any particular belief or practice? With so many divorces among people who've done exactly what you suggest, such a claim seems more fanciful than true. Yes?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Make vows for marriage.
Break vows for divorce.

You see the difference, yes?

Marriage is for the benefit of the society.
The society makes the rules for marriage.
The society makes the rules for divorce.

Marriage is a legal act, which is why there’s witnesses, signatures, seals, stamps, and money changing hands for the license.

Lovey dovey is only one of the reasons why people get married.

Divorce is a legal act, which is why there's a judge.
The reasons people get divorced are as common as dirt.
The commonality is primacy of ego over vows, by one or both of the half.

This is why vows are the root.
They take primacy.

Many of the disillusioned divorced were under the impression that Love takes primacy in a marriage *.

It's the vows that are the anchor, not some relativistic, shifting concept of what love is.
It's not some animal hunger to scratch a seven-year itch.

Spoken vows; voice energy.
Thought vows; mind energy.
Physical vows; body energy.

All are required.

If you break the vows and stay in the marriage, then you learn the nature of corruption, self-forgiveness, and redemption ... within any custom or religion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBupia9oidU

* Blame Hollywood, and Hollywood inspired advice. Before Hollywood, blame bodice ripper novels. :wink:
-1-

Post by -1- »

"Resemble" means there are some similarities, and there are some dissimilarities.

Your point is, Walker, that if a relationship is to resemble marriage, then it has to be marriage.

I differ in that opinion.

For instance, a child's facial fetures may resemble his parent's. This does not make him his own parent. ETC.

So I don't know why you insist on a semblance to be an absolutely equal match with no differences allowed. You can't make that ruling, without altering the lingual definition of "resemble".

-----------------

As to your down-playing love in a relationship or in a marriage: how many successful nuptials can you count you've seen in your life where the parties married and entered into a legal, spiritual, social, and personal binding contract, fully disliking each other and completely lacking love for each other?

This may have happened in forced situations, where the family needed money and they married off their beautiful (ie. fuckable) daughter; or in arranged marriages; or in marriages of conquistadors or victorious army head or common soldiers or their supportive society's members. But modern society has no record of those happening any more.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Marriage vows apply to body, voice, and mind.

Speaking the vows before God and witnesses is more than just a performance, if you have more sense than a drunk fool in some Las Vegas chapel marrying a recently-met stripper.

To be a vow, a vow must be taken with sincerity.

Sincere marriage vows cannot be spoken from mutual hatred.
That's an oxymoron.

Sincere marriage vows can only be kept with love, not hatred.

Resemble is like marriage.
It's like the leaves.

The leaves need the sincere love that makes the vow, that does not deny the vow.

So ... when do you buy the ring?
Walker

Post by Walker »

-1- wrote:their beautiful (ie. fuckable) daughter
One wonders if your buyer thinks animals are beautiful.

In reference to your observations about buying a wife: since you're trying to sound “real” by so describing daughters (you do know that every woman is a daughter), then if that’s all a man wants he can buy a whoring wench with much less trouble and expense.

However, if money is no object and the shallow-minded buyer is in the market for purchasing a bride, then I imagine that other qualities would be valued for marriage.

As anyone with a lick of sense knows, which would not include Hollywood agogs, these qualities can be sniffed out by observing the mother of the daughter.

On one side of the coin: Is she Disruptive? Calming? Selfish? Generous? Greedy? Cruel? Kind? Petty? Expansive?
Stupid? Smart? Shallow? Deep? Vindictive? Forgiving? A slob? Tidy? Strong? Weak? Funny? Grim? Musically inclined? Tone deaf? etc.

On the other side of the coin: Can she cook?

:wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbQst5HZj6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xigwtXcrXBA
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Walker wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:25 am...marriage...vows...bodice rippers...
People make and break vows all the time. Why would such an act have any more significance when associated with a marriage? What matters is a person's level of awareness and honor -- and that can be applied in any relationship. A relationship between lovers or friends or siblings can be more solid and meaningful than a vow of marriage. You're talking about roots and trees as if it is some profound symbolism while you mis-apply it to something specific, instead of acknowledging a broader scope.

And there's nothing wrong with bodice rippers, of course! 8) Such playfulness can be enjoyed by those who have awareness and honor.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:51 pm
Walker wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:25 am...marriage...vows...bodice rippers...
People make and break vows all the time. Why would such an act have any more significance when associated with a marriage? What matters is a person's level of awareness and honor -- and that can be applied in any relationship. A relationship between lovers or friends or siblings can be more solid and meaningful than a vow of marriage. You're talking about roots and trees as if it is some profound symbolism while you mis-apply it to something specific, instead of acknowledging a broader scope.

And there's nothing wrong with bodice rippers, of course! 8) Such playfulness can be enjoyed by those who have awareness and honor.
I like your level of insight and powers of critical analysis.
Walker

Post by Walker »

LW wrote:People make and break vows all the time. Why would such an act have any more significance when associated with a marriage?
Vows vary in consequence.
The consequences caused by breakage, vary.
For example: A vow to eat only one chocolate cake a week ain’t the same as a marriage vow.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Walker wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:46 pm A vow to eat only one chocolate cake a week ain’t the same as a marriage vow.
Nonsensical and unconvincing of anything. This only suggests that it's your turn to use the computer.