A Letter from No One to No One

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

Re: A Letter from No One to No One

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Walker post_id=386799 time=1544006317 user_id=11599]
Us and Them.

The human delusion.
[/quote]

So long as we are embodied beings with distinct positions in space/time, we are individuals. It is no delusion that we have separate salience, perspective, and priority, and that each of those must be accounted for in any viable solution to any problem.

Us means those with which we can identify. Them can mean anyone we don't like, but it can also mean other beings which we grant sentience by grace, knowing nothing of them. "Othering" is how the brain works, it's not something you'll be wanting to get rid of.. or maybe you do.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote="Gary Childress" post_id=475590 time=1602773138 user_id=6477]
[quote=commonsense post_id=475356 time=1602614895 user_id=14610]
[quote="Gary Childress" post_id=387852 time=1544901360 user_id=6477]

Who is betraying the most vulnerable?
[/quote]

It appears to be the ADA (ironically?) because it permits the mentally ill to live independently, ready or not.
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with living independently. As long as disability can meet the basic needs it's better than living in a dorm/hospital. I know many people with varying diagnoses who live independently and I also know some who can't find affordable housing. I don't think we want to go back to the days of locking people in asylums for life.
[/quote]

Why can't an asylum also be a kind park?
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

Dear y'all,

You can't get psychiatric help from anyone who believes participating in this insane world is a good idea. Contact your nearest rebellious philosophy coach. Even if they don't have the right answers, they probably have the right questions.

Sincerely, your nearest rebellious Philosophy Coach.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Advocate wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:04 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:45 pm
commonsense wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:48 pm It appears to be the ADA (ironically?) because it permits the mentally ill to live independently, ready or not.
Nothing wrong with living independently. As long as disability can meet the basic needs it's better than living in a dorm/hospital. I know many people with varying diagnoses who live independently and I also know some who can't find affordable housing. I don't think we want to go back to the days of locking people in asylums for life.
Why can't an asylum also be a kind park?
I suppose it could be, as long as you're not locked up there and have some freedom of movement outside the residence it would be OK. Also I for one don't like sharing a room with another person who I don't know. So individual living quarters would be nice. Otherwise, it's about the same as a prison or military barracks. Few people like those kinds of places.