Dear Abby: What do I do with this love poem?

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Dear Abby: What do I do with this love poem?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Hanka wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:15 pm
-1- wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:42 am I joined several meet-up groups in my town.

I also have a lover that loves me like a child, and I love her. We get along fine, our relationship is ideal from her point of view, and very livable and optimum-perfect from my point of view.

But I have roving eyes.

I met a woman who charmed me out of my pants, and I wrote her a poem. I was planning to give it to her at a meeting, without any intention of leaving my girlfriend, or becoming two-timing.

I took the poem to a meeting where we played cards. The "other woman" was not having a good time and she left hastily.

Worse yet, the poem I had typed (printed) had fallen out of my pocket and I only noticed that on my way home, walking to the bus-stop.

Now, I don't know who found the poem. It could have fallen out at any point after leaving the house.

What do I do? Retype the poem and give it to the "other woman"? She's a dynamic person, she can get anyone by flicking her fingers, and she is nice on top of that, and good-looking. At least seventy-five hundred men are vying for her attention at any event she goes to. Giving her the poem would be a gesture to celebrate her womanhood, but I intend to stay with my gf.

What if I give her the poem and she had been given it by someone else who had found it? Her name or mine does not appear on the paper.

WTF? Why am I even entertaining the idea of giving her a poem when I am not at all willing to pursue her?
Very interesting post, guys always find themselves in such situations where, you rue a missed opportunity to something that might or might not have developed into anything, i say go for what your gut says. You could end up loosing out on what you've already built man, so stay put!
'Loosing out'. That's an expression I haven't heard. What does it mean?
-1-

Post by -1- »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:28 pm
Vegg, have you ever heard of "spelling mistakes"? Their social acceptance may lead to proliferating bad English, but at the same time accepting them will teach you restraint and humility, inasmuch as accepting the occasional mistakes will teach you to withhold sarcastically-worded superiority statements.

The expression "Zero Tolerance" was coined first by the Nazis. ("Null Gebrachwerbungschliessgenossensbundeswehr.")
vegetariantaxidermy

-1- wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:26 pm
Vegg, have you ever heard of "spelling mistakes"? Their social acceptance may lead to proliferating bad English, but at the same time accepting them will teach you restraint and humility, inasmuch as accepting the occasional mistakes will teach you to withhold sarcastically-worded superiority statements.

The expression "Zero Tolerance" was coined first by the Nazis. ("Null Gebrachwerbungschliessgenossensbundeswehr.")
That one's different. It happens too often for it to be just a spelling mistake. It's Americans being arrogant arseholes over the language (how surprising). They think that because 'choose' is spelt that way then 'lose' should be too. EVen if he's not American, it's still all over the internet and gets absorbed by the vulnerable.
-1-

Post by -1- »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:51 pm

That one's different. It happens too often for it to be just a spelling mistake. It's Americans being arrogant arseholes over the language (how surprising). They think that because 'choose' is spelt that way then 'lose' should be too. EVen if he's not American, it's still all over the internet and gets absorbed by the vulnerable.
If you say what you say were true, then they could spell it also "lhose" on the pattern of "whose". Or they should spell it "lho's" on the pattern of "who's". Or "lwos" on the pattern of "twos." Or "loos" on the pattern of "toos".

And don't tell me "toos" is not a word. "I love her, and Gerry loves her too, and Gary loves her too." Ha menee toos dus dis centens hev?

There are man wrong ways to spell many things. Sticking to one and making fun of it is impoverished cultural expression.

The first person to best illustrate this most intelligently was Sir George Bernard Shaw when he declared that the proper way to spell "fisH" is "ghoti".

gh - f sound from "enouGH"
o - i sound from "wOmen"
ti - sh sound from "naTIon."
vegetariantaxidermy

-1- wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:43 pm

If you say what you say were true, then they could spell it also "lhose" on the pattern of "whose". Or they should spell it "lho's" on the pattern of "who's". Or "lwos" on the pattern of "twos." Or "loos" on the pattern of "toos".

And don't tell me "toos" is not a word. "I love her, and Gerry loves her too, and Gary loves her too." Ha menee toos dus dis centens hev?

There are man wrong ways to spell many things. Sticking to one and making fun of it is impoverished cultural expression.

The first person to best illustrate this most intelligently was Sir George Bernard Shaw when he declared that the proper way to spell "fisH" is "ghoti".

o - i sound from "wOmen"
You are giving them too much credit for logic and consistency. I'm talking about Americans here. They are destroying the English language with their frantic attempts to 'dumb' it down, MAKING it confusing and illogically inconsistent.
-1-

Post by -1- »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:46 pm

o - i sound from "wOmen"
You are giving them too much credit for logic and consistency. I'm talking about Americans here. They are destroying the English language with their frantic attempts to 'dumb' it down, MAKING it confusing and illogically inconsistent.
Hey. England has it too easy. Only their language gets destroyed.

Other countries get the shit bombed out of them by the Amys.

Don't cry for me, Argentina.
vegetariantaxidermy

-1- wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:59 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:46 pm

o - i sound from "wOmen"
Hey. England has it too easy. Only their language gets destroyed.

Other countries get the shit bombed out of them by the Amys.

Don't cry for me, Argentina.
Remember that everything is connected. 'Dumbed-down language', 'dumbed-down people', stupid gullible people who don't question anything, malleable population....
-1-

Post by -1- »

Dumbed down language?

There are two ways of looking at it.

One way is what you say.

The other way is to see that to follow rules of grammar and spelling is a sheepish behaviour; you do what you are told, you never sway from the prescribed way, you are dumbed into submission to always do the right thing, the proper thing, and not think for yourself.

An independent mind will create in its unfettered freedom ways of spelling words that are more intuitive, roll off the tongue or out of the ball-point-pen more easily, naturally and freely.
vegetariantaxidermy

-1- wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:01 pm Dumbed down language?

There are two ways of looking at it.

One way is what you say.

The other way is to see that to follow rules of grammar and spelling is a sheepish behaviour; you do what you are told, you never sway from the prescribed way, you are dumbed into submission to always do the right thing, the proper thing, and not think for yourself.

An independent mind will create in its unfettered freedom ways of spelling words that are more intuitive, roll off the tongue or out of the ball-point-pen more easily, naturally and freely.
Whatever.