Should I pay my roommate for me using more electricity?

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Above us only sky

Should I pay my roommate for me using more electricity?

Post by Above us only sky »

Recently we will have a two week long holiday, my two roommates are going home and I 'm the only one who stay at the house we share. The electricity bill and the water bill of us is being calculated by averaging our usage, for example, if the bill says it is 9 dollars, then each of us (3 persons in the house) have to pay 3 dollars. I feel I should pay the extra bills for them because during this two week holiday I'm the only guy who stay in the house and use water and electricity.

But one voice tells me that I don't have to, after all, my roommates do not know that I 'm not going home, and to me they are not my friends. Under this circumstance should I voluntarily tell my roommates pay the extra bills or should I not tell them?
Bill Wiltrack

Re: Should I pay my roommate for me using more electricity?

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Actually sounds like you have TWO voices in your head. One tells you NOT to pay, the other is saying that you SHOULD pay the entire time that you alone stay in the house.

I have found, in cases like these, that you have already made-up your mind on how to act. We come to a forum to see both sides but to actually just listen to the support information that we want to hear upon the direction that we had previously decided.

so, you already know how you are going to act towards your roommates.

Are you going to tell us?

-1-

Post by -1- »

Above us only sky wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:38 pm Recently we will have a two week long holiday, my two roommates are going home and I 'm the only one who stay at the house we share. The electricity bill and the water bill of us is being calculated by averaging our usage, for example, if the bill says it is 9 dollars, then each of us (3 persons in the house) have to pay 3 dollars. I feel I should pay the extra bills for them because during this two week holiday I'm the only guy who stay in the house and use water and electricity.

But one voice tells me that I don't have to, after all, my roommates do not know that I 'm not going home, and to me they are not my friends. Under this circumstance should I voluntarily tell my roommates pay the extra bills or should I not tell them?
Well, it depends on your use of water and electricity in these two weeks. If you use none at all, then that's the cleanest solution. You can always bathe and wash your clothes in rain water, and use candles or LED ligths to read by in the dark.

This would be a good time to invite your girlfriend over.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

What do you mean by "using more electricity"? How are you using more electricity? Even if your roommates were around, would you still be using more electricity?

PhilX 🇺🇸
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

-1- wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:29 pm
Above us only sky wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:38 pm Recently we will have a two week long holiday, my two roommates are going home and I 'm the only one who stay at the house we share. The electricity bill and the water bill of us is being calculated by averaging our usage, for example, if the bill says it is 9 dollars, then each of us (3 persons in the house) have to pay 3 dollars. I feel I should pay the extra bills for them because during this two week holiday I'm the only guy who stay in the house and use water and electricity.

Well, it depends on your use of water and electricity in these two weeks. If you use none at all, then that's the cleanest solution. You can always bathe and wash your clothes in rain water, and use candles or LED ligths to read by in the dark.

:lol: We've been short of a laugh since Harbal skulked off.
vegetariantaxidermy

It would be the decent and honest thing to do. What if it was food? Say you all pitched in for food and you stayed there and ate it all; they would know because it's something obvious you can see. They also might check 'usage' and find that there's no drop in it on the days that they thought you weren't there.
Above us only sky

Post by Above us only sky »

Thanks guys, I have made up my mind to pay one of my roommoates for my usage of water and electricity. But not the other people, because honestly we do not even talk very much.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:32 pm

Where'd Harbal disappear to?
vegetariantaxidermy

Dalek Prime wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:10 am

Not sure. I think he should come back. Funny people are too scarce.
It's always good to see you back Dalek. I noticed you were having a holiday :)
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:20 am

Thanks Veg. It's always nice to hear from you and the other regulars. I have a certain affection for you folks, and this forum, even when we disagree and scream blue murder at each other. Compared to other forums, it feels like family. I do hope he returns.
vegetariantaxidermy

Dalek Prime wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:23 am
Thanks Veg. It's always nice to hear from you and the other regulars. I have a certain affection for you folks, and this forum, even when we disagree and scream blue murder at each other. Compared to other forums, it feels like family. I do hope he returns.
I wonder if he still reads it :D Ok Harbal. If you read this we could do with some of your funnies at the moment. You can't keep hiding forever you know.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:33 am

I wonder if he still reads it :D Ok Harbal. If you read this we could do with some of your funnies at the moment. You can't keep hiding forever you know.
I found him hiding in my closet. Imagine my surprise... :lol:
vegetariantaxidermy

Dalek Prime wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:37 am
Did he come out?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:41 am
Dalek Prime wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:37 am

Did he come out?
Not yet. He'd feel much better if he did though lol. (Just kidding, Harbal.)
wisdomlover

Post by wisdomlover »

I don't see how it could be an obligation to pay the whole thing while they're gone, but it would be a nice gesture.

The thing I would object to is making a "hidden contract." That is, if you are away some other month, getting mad at the other 2 if they want your $3 of a $9 bill instead of them splitting it $4.50 each. Doing something nice doesn't create a contract. As long as you're OK with that, go ahead.