I have a highly qualified psychological counselor booked for 12 sessions

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bobevenson

Re: I have a highly qualified psychological counselor booked for 12 sessions

Post by bobevenson »

-1- wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:57 pm I don't want to give up my spot.
You sound like a guy who's found a good parking place.
-1-

Post by -1- »

bobevenson wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:36 pm
-1- wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:57 pm I don't want to give up my spot.
You sound like a guy who's found a good parking place.
Yeah, that's actually sounds right on. It's a good thing I latched on to, except I got no car. When I had a car, I had no good parking space.

I am only hoping that the twain shall eventually meet. The car and the parking space.
iolo

Post by iolo »

The whole point about counselling is to learn to shut up and listen, then be encouraging if you can. The problem about it is keeping out of it emotionally, and not letting the 'counsellee' get at you outside agreed hours. The only kind of 'counselling' I've had that was effective was Reichian, because it reduces muscular tensions, showing it works. Having some other person yack about your problems seems aimless, especially as far too many of them demonstrate very obvious power-urges. When I was about fourteen I got heavily into psychology, until on night I had a dream, and in the course of it a Freudian, a Jungian and an Adlerian kept butting in with alternative explanations, at which point I took up Marxism more seriously and packed the mind-stuff in. My Reichian therapist fell ill and passed me on to a Freudian, but when he started I remembered the dream and got the giggles. I've worked for the Samaritans and with students, and what's wanted is caring listening. I've seen it work over and over again.
-1-

Post by -1- »

iolo wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:18 pm The whole point about counselling is to learn to shut up and listen, then be encouraging if you can. The problem about it is keeping out of it emotionally, and not letting the 'counsellee' get at you outside agreed hours. The only kind of 'counselling' I've had that was effective was Reichian, because it reduces muscular tensions, showing it works. Having some other person yack about your problems seems aimless, especially as far too many of them demonstrate very obvious power-urges. When I was about fourteen I got heavily into psychology, until on night I had a dream, and in the course of it a Freudian, a Jungian and an Adlerian kept butting in with alternative explanations, at which point I took up Marxism more seriously and packed the mind-stuff in. My Reichian therapist fell ill and passed me on to a Freudian, but when he started I remembered the dream and got the giggles. I've worked for the Samaritans and with students, and what's wanted is caring listening. I've seen it work over and over again.
The situation is even worse than you suggest. The counselor's sexual partner is dying. He or she started to die about six sessions into the therapy, and now it is really the shits. I get no benefit out of our sessions, other than killing one hour at a time of my otherwise extremely boring life. I think the honourable thing for the therapist to do would be to transfer me to another therapist, but I can't ask for that to happen.
iolo

Post by iolo »

My deepest sympathies. There are less gloomy ways to reduce boredom, though. Look around for any TA (probably died out now, but what I trained in) or NLP groups around you? A lot depends on who's leading the group, but they can often help.
-1-

Post by -1- »

iolo wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:26 pm My deepest sympathies. There are less gloomy ways to reduce boredom, though. Look around for any TA (probably died out now, but what I trained in) or NLP groups around you? A lot depends on who's leading the group, but they can often help.
Thanks for the tips, Iolo. Any idea what TA or NLP stand for? I haven't the faintest. TA is "teaching assistant" which is a grad student marking papers and leading seminars and study sessions for undergrads, sometimes lab sessions in SMT (science-math-technology) subjects. That does not make sense, to substitute TA into your TA.

NLP stand for National Liberal Party, which has been renamed to Liberal Party of Canada in my neck of the woods eons ago already.

Please don't use abbreviations in communications to me, I beg you.
iolo

Post by iolo »

Sorry - you get used to initials you use. Transaction Analysis and Neuro Linguistic Programming.
-1-

Post by -1- »

iolo wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:22 pm Sorry - you get used to initials you use. Transaction Analysis and Neuro Linguistic Programming.
Thanks!
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I know a number of psychologists that should be booked for 12 years.

Book em, Danno!

(Yeah, I'm being a twit. Sorry. )