I have a highly qualified psychological counselor booked for 12 sessions

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
-1-
Posts: 1751
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 am

I have a highly qualified psychological counselor booked for 12 sessions

Post by -1- » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:57 pm

HELP!! HELP!!

It is hard to get a counselor in my town, esp. at a greatly reduced per-visit rate. I get to see a master in social work, who has been counseling individuals and couples for three decades now. Or two, she seems to be in her fifties.

It was a long and grueling fight to get on the waiting list, and it was a long and hard wait to get to the top of the waiting list.

In this interim I lost all neediness. I mean, not all, but all psychological neediness that would call for a professional's help.

I don't want to give up my spot, and this great, excellent opportunity to get the attention and expertise help of a highly qualified professional.

So I turn to you, dear forum participation colleagues: what is a good topic to ask her to explain for my benefit? What psychological (generic or person-specific) problem ought I to bring up to discuss in our sessions?

For the time limit, you should know I have 12 sessions of 50 minutes each reserved.

HELP!!

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 7126
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: I have a highly qualified psychological counselor booked for 12 sessions

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:14 pm

Yanks and your bloody 'therapy'. Every 'psychologist' I have known has been a nutter themselves. You would be better off getting a cat (cheaper too) or a dog.
Just out of curiosity, how much does she charge per session?

User avatar
-1-
Posts: 1751
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 am

Re: I have a highly qualified psychological counselor booked for 12 sessions

Post by -1- » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:46 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:14 pm
Yanks and your bloody 'therapy'. Every 'psychologist' I have known has been a nutter themselves. You would be better off getting a cat (cheaper too) or a dog.
Just out of curiosity, how much does she charge per session?
It would not be cheaper on the long run to get a cat. Plus, curiosity could kill it. I don't think I run that risk with my counselor.

For your own sake, Veg, I hope you are not a cat, either. If you were, this thread could prove fatal to you.

Aside from that, I don't have to disagree with you, Veg, because she is not a psychologist. So I let your opinion stand. True, you put the word in single quotes, but pending further clarification, I am free to apply my own discretion at an attempt to define the hidden meaning.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 7126
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: I have a highly qualified psychological counselor booked for 12 sessions

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:09 am

-1- wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:46 am
she is not a psychologist.
Same thing. Both paid to listen to people drivelling on about themselves, and telling them either what they already know, or what they want to hear. The cost?

User avatar
GreatandWiseTrixie
Posts: 1547
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:51 pm

Re: I have a highly qualified psychological counselor booked for 12 sessions

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:55 am

I wish I could get a job as a psychologist. Easy money and I basically don't have to do anything other than say feel good. Only downside is if there happened to be a client who I fell in love with, I wouldn't be allowed to date them.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 7126
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: I have a highly qualified psychological counselor booked for 12 sessions

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:55 am

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:55 am
I wish I could get a job as a psychologist. Easy money and I basically don't have to do anything other than say feel good. Only downside is if there happened to be a client who I fell in love with, I wouldn't be allowed to date them.
I think anyone can set themselves up in business as one--same as a 'psychic' or 'clairvoyant'.

User avatar
GreatandWiseTrixie
Posts: 1547
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:51 pm

Re: I have a highly qualified psychological counselor booked for 12 sessions

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:52 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:55 am
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:55 am
I wish I could get a job as a psychologist. Easy money and I basically don't have to do anything other than say feel good. Only downside is if there happened to be a client who I fell in love with, I wouldn't be allowed to date them.
I think anyone can set themselves up in business as one--same as a 'psychic' or 'clairvoyant'.
Not sure how long my business would last, if I make incorrect predictions they would close my business very fast.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 7126
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: I have a highly qualified psychological counselor booked for 12 sessions

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:32 am

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:52 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:55 am
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:55 am
I wish I could get a job as a psychologist. Easy money and I basically don't have to do anything other than say feel good. Only downside is if there happened to be a client who I fell in love with, I wouldn't be allowed to date them.
I think anyone can set themselves up in business as one--same as a 'psychic' or 'clairvoyant'.
Not sure how long my business would last, if I make incorrect predictions they would close my business very fast.
When have they ever made correct 'predictions'? Like psychologists, they only tell you what you want to hear. I doubt if any 'psychic' has ever said to someone 'you are going to die tomorrow' (unless they planned to murder them).

User avatar
-1-
Posts: 1751
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 am

Re: I have a highly qualified psychological counselor booked for 12 sessions

Post by -1- » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:28 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:32 am

When have they ever made correct 'predictions'? Like psychologists, they only tell you what you want to hear. I doubt if any 'psychic' has ever said to someone 'you are going to die tomorrow' (unless they planned to murder them).
Life is so full of adversary fights, that it is sometimes very refreshing and even conducive to business to be told precisely what I want to hear.

Prediction value is smafu, I concur. But the NPV is huge.

User avatar
-1-
Posts: 1751
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 am

Re: I have a highly qualified psychological counselor booked for 12 sessions

Post by -1- » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:33 am

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:55 am
I wish I could get a job as a psychologist. Easy money and I basically don't have to do anything other than say feel good. Only downside is if there happened to be a client who I fell in love with, I wouldn't be allowed to date them.
It only sounds easy. But it is one thing to tell someone what they want to hear, and it is another thing to tell someone what they want to hear in an authentic-sounding way. The difference is actually staggering, and that's why the profession relies on extensively and multi-annually trained practitioners.

User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 2586
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: I have a highly qualified psychological counselor booked for 12 sessions

Post by attofishpi » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:49 pm

THERAPY? The rap Y?
THERAPIST? The rapist (of ones mind)

User avatar
-1-
Posts: 1751
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 am

Re: I have a highly qualified psychological counselor booked for 12 sessions

Post by -1- » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:05 am

attofishpi wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:49 pm
THERAPY? The rap Y?
THERAPIST? The rapist (of ones mind)
Psychotherapist

Pscyho, the Rapist

User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 2586
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: I have a highly qualified psychological counselor booked for 12 sessions

Post by attofishpi » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:12 am

-1- wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:05 am
attofishpi wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:49 pm
THERAPY? The rap Y?
THERAPIST? The rapist (of ones mind)
Psychotherapist

Pscyho, the Rapist
Like that one! :D

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 11269
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: I have a highly qualified psychological counselor booked for 12 sessions

Post by Arising_uk » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:35 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:...

Like psychologists, they only tell you what you want to hear. ...
How so?

User avatar
Greta
Posts: 3961
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: I have a highly qualified psychological counselor booked for 12 sessions

Post by Greta » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:13 am

-1- wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:57 pm
HELP!! HELP!!

It is hard to get a counselor in my town, esp. at a greatly reduced per-visit rate. I get to see a master in social work, who has been counseling individuals and couples for three decades now. Or two, she seems to be in her fifties.

It was a long and grueling fight to get on the waiting list, and it was a long and hard wait to get to the top of the waiting list.

In this interim I lost all neediness. I mean, not all, but all psychological neediness that would call for a professional's help.

I don't want to give up my spot, and this great, excellent opportunity to get the attention and expertise help of a highly qualified professional.

So I turn to you, dear forum participation colleagues: what is a good topic to ask her to explain for my benefit? What psychological (generic or person-specific) problem ought I to bring up to discuss in our sessions?

For the time limit, you should know I have 12 sessions of 50 minutes each reserved.

HELP!!
I quite like Veggie's "get a dog" suggestion. Also spend regular time walking around bushland or parkland if possible, amongst the trees and birds. For reasons I don't understand, these things tend to make people happy. They do for me too.

One option is to tell the therapist what you have told us and see what she does with it. Nonetheless, she will want to know what your initial problem was and the circumstances around your relief from it. She will need to ascertain whether your recovery is durable.

Somewhere within this questioning and reliving during the first session, you might gain more ideas as to what you want from the sessions. Any stumbling block in life might be worth discussing with a person who is ostensibly expert with "life hacks".

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest