How to end my computer game addiction?

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Above us only sky

How to end my computer game addiction?

Post by Above us only sky »

I like computer games when I was a teenager and now I found myself still like them. But in my heart I always thought playing computer game is a waste of time even though I really like it. On the one hand I want to stop playing those games so I will not waste so much time and to do something really useful, but on the other hand I really enjoy it.

In my real life I do not have many friends. My addiction pattern is to play games for a whole week and then getting really depressed for wasting a week's time on gaming, then I usually will delete those games and promise I will never touch them. after this I can focus my mind on doing something useful for one week. But after one week or two I will install those games into my computer again.

I realize I have no other real options to relax myself when I feel anxious or tired inside; I have no friends to talk to... Computer games is the only option. If so then how to get out of this computer game addiction?
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Above us only sky wrote:I like computer games when I was a teenager and now I found myself still like them. But in my heart I always thought playing computer game is a waste of time even though I really like it. On the one hand I want to stop playing those games so I will not waste so much time and to do something really useful, but on the other hand I really enjoy it.

In my real life I do not have many friends. My addiction pattern is to play games for a whole week and then getting really depressed for wasting a week's time on gaming, then I usually will delete those games and promise I will never touch them. after this I can focus my mind on doing something useful for one week. But after one week or two I will install those games into my computer again.

I realize I have no other real options to relax myself when I feel anxious or tired inside; I have no friends to talk to... Computer games is the only option. If so then how to get out of this computer game addiction?
I would say that I have an addiction too if that were a problem for me XD (I've had days were I played 8 hous when I was a kid). But in my case, I don't feel that I'vewasted my time more than in other things. I'd say more, when I go out with some people and have the same clonversations (How is your life, what are you doing blabla) I usually feel like I've wasted my time (I only do it because I like to go out from time to time). Also, nowadays videogames are a good option to make friends.
I don't know, it didn't stopped me from doing anything else.I never spent a whole week just playing.And when I saw hoe many hours did I spent in a game, I found it interesting XD. I have more than 1000 hours in smash bros multiplayer and I didn't even play in my own house. And, with time, the hobby was replaced and lost time in my life. Now I play simple games mostly, except in holidays... thinking about it, I probably just played videogames in the time that most of people are usually seeing tv.

But, for every addiction, I'd say that you should ask for help to people in real life (how old are you, do you live with your parents?), and find something to replace that time. Sports, this is a good time to begin. Reading books. Go for a walk. Write... and... the typical things, I don't know, give you rewards if you accomplish some time without videogames etc.

Bofre start that, I recomend to analyze the word "useful": Why would be going with frineds be more useful than playing videogames? What is your final goal? etc.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Christ, if you wanna play World of Warcraft, then play!

If you aren't livin' offa the other guy's dime, that is.

If you are: go get a job, work, then play WoW in your off time.
duszek

Re: How to end my computer game addiction?

Post by duszek »

Above us only sky wrote:
In that case the computer games are therapeutic and serve a useful purpose.

You could of course try to find some other ways of feeling better.

How about sports ?
Jogging or riding a plank with rolls (what is it called ?) work for many.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Above us only sky wrote:I like computer games when I was a teenager and now I found myself still like them. But in my heart I always thought playing computer game is a waste of time even though I really like it. On the one hand I want to stop playing those games so I will not waste so much time and to do something really useful, but on the other hand I really enjoy it.

Ultimately all human activity is fruitless. We'll all be dead in 100 years, and few of us shall make anything or do anything of lasting value. Of those few that do, they will depend on a whole network of interdependencies of which any element could be replaced, including the person at the top, and still the result would be the same. If Isaac Newton had an addiction, some other person would have invented Calculus.
So what is it exactly that you think you would rather be doing, that is of more benefit than enjoying a good computer game?
Do you have some specific activity in mind? Surely if it were important to you - you would have tried it?
Why not start by having a computer game free day. Unplug the thing for a day, and try something else.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

The thing about CGs is that they offer you a certain world in which all the parameters are known; results predictable within certain random limits. They also provide a safe challenge and massage your ego by giving back successes along the way.
Some games let you collect honours, others get you deeper into the dungeon, and others let you pile up the bodies. They are always progressive. The best games have jeopardy, but not so much as to cause you any real problem more than inconvenience.
In fact they simulate what people might want out of life, but rarely get; achievement without risk, and progress with few setbacks that cannot be immediately attempted again.

That is how they are addictive.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:The thing about CGs is that they offer you a certain world in which all the parameters are known; results predictable within certain random limits. They also provide a safe challenge and massage your ego by giving back successes along the way.
They have less parameters than life, that's obvious, but there are many games where "parameters" are unknown from time to time, and every time you defeat a boss you have to think how (Or going to the boss, you have many puzzles). The challenge and "massage to your ego" can be said about nearly everything, like sports.
Some games let you collect honours, others get you deeper into the dungeon, and others let you pile up the bodies. They are always progressive. The best games have jeopardy, but not so much as to cause you any real problem more than inconvenience.
In fact they simulate what people might want out of life
, but rarely get; achievement without risk, and progress with few setbacks that cannot be immediately attempted again.
Ok, there are many shity videogames were you use a supermodel and in some of them, you don't have even to move the fucking character (like LOL), but in most of more old games falling means usually start the game from the begining, and the difficulty is progressive, but the achievments through the way are...
That is how they are addictive.
How they can be addictive. Nearly everything can be addictive. Food, sex, sport, chess, work, TV series... videogames have evolved to have a lot of variety.
Hobbes' Choice

Re:

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

TSBU wrote:The challenge and "massage to your ego" can be said about nearly everything, like sports.

. Nearly everything can be addictive. Food, sex, sport, chess, work, TV series...
Not relevant.
Above us only sky

Post by Above us only sky »

i found most game addicts are guys, why is that?
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Above us only sky wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:06 amHow to end my computer game addiction?
Uninstall all of them, and the game provider platforms like Steam, Battle.net etc tec!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Above us only sky wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:06 amI have no friends to talk to... Computer games is the only option. If so then how to get out of this computer game addiction?
Then find some enemies to talk to. The internet is awesome for that - in fact right here on this forum i have loads of enemies.

I saw a news item recently that stated gamers tended to have a higher than average IQ. That is probably why you don't have many friends - cos most people are stupid.

I love spending a few hours a week shooting people on the internet (games) and not so long ago I was looking in to learning Unreals 3D engine, not so much to create games but to do a few scenes from a story I wrote. Have you ever considered jumping on the other side of the gaming fence and learning to be a developer? Cos holy shit mate - you need to find a hobby - a couple of friends of mine that game way too much smoke way too much weed - is that part of your life?
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

What? I have never played these 'games'.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

How about learning a language online, using something like Duolingo? Lots of little challenges to be overcome, a clear sense of progression. You can comment on the process and get responses from other 'players'. And unlike most computer games, you can use the skills you acquire in real life, with real people.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

Londoner wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:16 am How about learning a language online, using something like Duolingo? Lots of little challenges to be overcome, a clear sense of progression. You can comment on the process and get responses from other 'players'. And unlike most computer games, you can use the skills you acquire in real life, with real people.
Practice self-discipline by using will power. When you go online and experience the desire to play, resist, and go to this forum. Then sign off and run from your computer. The more you resist a desire, the weaker it becomes. Thomas Aquinas and William James both taught this psychological principle. This is how I quit smoking, without using any aid, after two packs a day for fifty years. Now I have no desire to smoke even though the smell of someone smoking near me is enticing. Self-discipline is a virtue.