How to end my computer game addiction?

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Re: addiction = horseshit

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:09 pm horseshit sold for top dollar

'you're addicted...gimme your money and i'll help you become un-addicted'
AUOS,

You do not need to spend any money on a self-help book.

You do need to join a support group for addicted gamers.
commonsense

Re: How to end my computer game addiction?

Post by commonsense »

AUOS,

http://www.olganon.org/home

https://www.projectknow.com/research/on ... anonymous/

Google “support groups for gaming addiction” for more
Walker

Re: addiction = horseshit

Post by Walker »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:09 pm horseshit sold for top dollar

'you're addicted...gimme your money and i'll help you become un-addicted'
Yep. An addict is a victim in the age of victim-hood, like being physically disabled in the age of government disability insurance, when wheelchairs are a yard wide and half the parking spaces at Wal-Mart are reserved for handicapped and occupied by expensive cars. Meanwhile, the seats on airliners are designed to comfortably fit a child. Drop the joystick and the fork and observe the amazing vanishing addictions.
Dimebag

Post by Dimebag »

Listen to some kind of motivational podcast, Jocko Podcast works for me, and Jordan Peterson also helps. You need to realise that if you want something you can actually do it, you just need to want it enough, so you need to first dig yourself out of whatever hole you have made for yourself, as no doubt you have, that’s what addiction does. Use these guys to help solve your problems, as likely you are using these games to escape your problems.

Jocko has a few tools to help you focus on your problems and break them down into simple parts which you can deliberately go through and execute. He will help “unblock” your tendency to procrastinate and put this off, by uncovering and shedding light in this weakness in a funny and helpful way, which will make you both feel like a child at first for being so weak, but at the same time, empower you with the tools to overcome your flaws.

Jordan Peterson speaks to the inner nihilist in you, the side of you that says, ‘what’s the point, nothing I could do means anything to anyone’, he will help you find things in your life worth putting in effort for, worth making something of yourself for, worth sacrificing for. Because as much as science is a wonderful tool for understanding the world, it can’t tell a person how to live, or why they should do the things they need to do. You need a meaningful framework in order to understand life and your place in the world, which itself is wisdom, or practical knowledge passed down based on what works and what provides the most meaning and motivation in ones life.

Along the way you will learn much about yourself, your flaws especially as uncovering these will give you the ability to find workarounds and what has been holding you back, and things you might never have been taught or missed along the way in your life. It might involve some confronting realisations about past decisions you might have made, and will give you some perspective on where you went wrong, but this is key to re-building yourself anew.

But the real problem is most likely you have no goal, you aren’t working towards anything. If you don’t value anything you will not want anything for your life, so you need to start from here.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

I've been clean now for about two years, myself. what did it for me was the lower back pain from sitting down for hours and hours. sometimes I'd be in a game for days at a time, stopping only to sleep. it was Fallout that got me hooked. that fuckin game was a perfect recreation of the secret post-apocalyptic fantasy life I've always wanted to live. i couldn't get away from it. it is THE most awesome game in the world. when i got to the end of the game i was actually sad that it was over. i felt horrible. i had lost purpose in life. then I'm told about COD warzone and holy shit dude. i spent hundreds of dollars in that game, buyin weapons and skins and all that shit. smoked pounds of weed. anyway i bought a gaming chair but my lower back still started hurtin after a few months of this shit. then one day i was just like man i can't do this no more.

still got the xbox tho. sometimes I'm tempted to fire it back up, but i know what'll happen if I do. i can't even imagine how awesome COD is now with all the new seasons and maps. I'm afraid to find out cuz I'll be sucked right back into it. like i can't just play for an hour and turn it off. I'll go full retard. eventually I'm on my knees in front of the TV cuz my back hurts so bad from sitting, etc. it was bad man.

no. I'm never goin back. never.
bahman

Post by bahman »

promethean75 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:15 am I've been clean now for about two years, myself. what did it for me was the lower back pain from sitting down for hours and hours. sometimes I'd be in a game for days at a time, stopping only to sleep. it was Fallout that got me hooked. that fuckin game was a perfect recreation of the secret post-apocalyptic fantasy life I've always wanted to live. i couldn't get away from it. it is THE most awesome game in the world. when i got to the end of the game i was actually sad that it was over. i felt horrible. i had lost purpose in life. then I'm told about COD warzone and holy shit dude. i spent hundreds of dollars in that game, buyin weapons and skins and all that shit. smoked pounds of weed. anyway i bought a gaming chair but my lower back still started hurtin after a few months of this shit. then one day i was just like man i can't do this no more.

still got the xbox tho. sometimes I'm tempted to fire it back up, but i know what'll happen if I do. i can't even imagine how awesome COD is now with all the new seasons and maps. I'm afraid to find out cuz I'll be sucked right back into it. like i can't just play for an hour and turn it off. I'll go full retard. eventually I'm on my knees in front of the TV cuz my back hurts so bad from sitting, etc. it was bad man.

I used to love the strategy game, master of Orion, Civilization, and games like that. Now I am bored with all the games I have so no life purpose for me anymore! :mrgreen:
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

promethean75 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:15 am I've been clean now for about two years, myself. what did it for me was the lower back pain from sitting down for hours and hours. sometimes I'd be in a game for days at a time, stopping only to sleep. it was Fallout that got me hooked. that fuckin game was a perfect recreation of the secret post-apocalyptic fantasy life I've always wanted to live. i couldn't get away from it. it is THE most awesome game in the world. when i got to the end of the game i was actually sad that it was over. i felt horrible. i had lost purpose in life. then I'm told about COD warzone and holy shit dude. i spent hundreds of dollars in that game, buyin weapons and skins and all that shit. smoked pounds of weed. anyway i bought a gaming chair but my lower back still started hurtin after a few months of this shit. then one day i was just like man i can't do this no more.

Why do you think you "can't" play for an hour (like other folks)?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Have u ever played Fallout or Call Of Duty? It's nothing like Donkey Kong, L. It pulls u into another world and won't let u go until you're starving to death or haven't slept in two days. U can't just stop in one hour becuz whatever you're fixin to do won't be as awesome as dropping into the warzone from thirteen thousand feet, I promise u.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

promethean75 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:52 pm Have u ever played Fallout or Call Of Duty? It's nothing like Donkey Kong, L. It pulls u into another world and won't let u go until you're starving to death or haven't slept in two days. U can't just stop in one hour becuz whatever you're fixin to do won't be as awesome as dropping into the warzone from thirteen thousand feet, I promise u.
Yup, played Fallout and Fallout 2, best games in the series IMO. Of course, played F3 and New Vegas and F4, though they didn't quite capture the magic of the originals. Played the first three Infinity Ward games COD, COD2 and COD 4 MW. They were okay, kind of arcade-like, but had a high fun factor. So you don't need to explain great immersive stories to me, though I'd put Half Life 2, the Bioshock series, the Tomb Raider reboots, Far Cry 2&3 and Metro Exodus above your examples in immersion. Maybe my real life is more interesting to me than your's is to you.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Nice, you're familar with COD Warzone. Lemme tell u about my hustle. I started playing with the same three dudes and we had a routine we'd always do. At first they thought it was nutts but once the money started rollin in, they were like bro this is brilliant. And we had it down to a science.

So immediately on the drop one of us would take a most wanted. Why? Becuz in the first five minutes of the game (the bounty period), everybody is lookin for weapons and shit so they don't bother going for bounties. After the first one expires (and we get the money), we immediately take another one and then post up in a house or building somewhere and wait for em to come for us. We'd park four wheelers in the house and on the stairs (blocking them) and set mines beside em to increase the blast damage when they triggered em. I'd have a sniper off in a distant stategic postion watching the house/building. The most wanted would be up in the attic while the other two would be throughout the house watching the entrances, etc. One guy would be equipped with stun gernades while the other two had mines or satchel charges. Lol when those fuckers came for us, if they didn't get sniped before they even got in the house, they'd come through the door, get hit with a stun gernade and then stumble around triggering the mines we set. We were even wastin the hackers, man. That gig was solid af and so much fun. We'd do one after the other... nothing but most wanted bounties.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Got it. Yeah, "outsmarting" other players (or the developers in the case of single-player) is definitely a rush. In fact, finding such strategies is the primary motivator to play games.

Though to be fair, many would get bored with the repetition, but I understand the anticipation in wondering whether the next group will figure out a way to outsmart your strategy (and the reassurance when they can't).

Basically, in my opinion you're going to get a lot more overall mileage out of making your nongaming life more interesting than trying to make your gaming life less interesting.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Above us only sky wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:06 am
I realize I have no other real options to relax myself when I feel anxious or tired inside; I have no friends to talk to... Computer games is the only option. If so then how to get out of this computer game addiction?
To posterity, since the OP is over 7 years old:

- Addiction (addictive behavior) doesn't leave. So, change the addiction (habit).
- You associate certain triggers with certain activities. You associate anxiety, listlessness, and isolation with computer games that follow the feelings.
- Associate these triggers with another activity to follow the feelings.
- This requires conscious effort at first, and time to adjust until the new addiction takes hold.
- Since the attraction of video games is the interaction, pick an interactive habit to cultivate.
- Since you're older and wiser about yourself due to the addiction, pick a new good, interactive addiction that produces effects other than those it sounds like you need to change.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"Though to be fair, many would get bored with the repetition"

Oh of course. These were just dudes I used to link up with on warzone to do the most wanted gigs. None of us would do this exclusively, obviously... only when we were online at the same time and not runnin with other quads.

I've played with all types. There's the hunters who like to run around randomly looking for teams to shoot up. There's the type that like to fly around in helicopters the whole time and pick guys off from the air. The type that post up on the tallest buildings and snipe teams as they run around down below. The ones that stay on the edge of the enclosing gas to find stragglers. Then there's the guys that like to find the center end game point as soon as possible, go straight there, and wait for everyone to show up so they can shoot em down.

Oh by the way there was a glitch for the longest time in warzone. There was a building that if u parked a truck beside in the right spot and exited it, you'd be in the wall of the building (not in the building or outside it... but like a negative space or sumthin). U could see everything around u but nobody could see u. So you'd be shootin at people who came by and they'd be like who the fuck is that?! They'd go inside but you wouldn't be in there, so they'd run around the building tryna find u as u shot at em. Eventually word got out that it was a glitch, so players ended up tryna get there first so they could take advantage of it. Lol.

I remember when Half Life first came out on computer. Played the shit out of it. But the Halo series was the most fun. When I was couch surfing in Boone I stayed with some college dudes who just bought the game and a yuge TV to play it on. We'd stay up for days smokin trees and playin that game.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Oh shit remember the Rainbow 6 games? Those were the smartest of the shmups. U would not only pre-assign way points for your team, but also customized classes, temperaments and tasks. So for example you'd have a front man who would be 'aggressive' and you'd give em a big ass machine gun. You'd have a 'cautious' guy in the back, etc.

The Ghost Recons were great too.

How far back do u go, anyway. Whatchu know about King's Quest and Space Quest?

Look in log

'U see a leather pouch'

Pick up leather pouch

Look in pouch

'U see a dagger'

Take dagger
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Ultima, Freddy Pharkas, LGOP

-Imp