How to end my computer game addiction?

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Re: addiction = horseshit

Post by commonsense » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:34 pm

henry quirk wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:09 pm
horseshit sold for top dollar

'you're addicted...gimme your money and i'll help you become un-addicted'
AUOS,

You do not need to spend any money on a self-help book.

You do need to join a support group for addicted gamers.

commonsense

Re: How to end my computer game addiction?

Post by commonsense » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:48 pm

AUOS,

http://www.olganon.org/home

https://www.projectknow.com/research/on ... anonymous/

Google “support groups for gaming addiction” for more

Walker

Re: addiction = horseshit

Post by Walker » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:33 am

henry quirk wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:09 pm
horseshit sold for top dollar

'you're addicted...gimme your money and i'll help you become un-addicted'
Yep. An addict is a victim in the age of victim-hood, like being physically disabled in the age of government disability insurance, when wheelchairs are a yard wide and half the parking spaces at Wal-Mart are reserved for handicapped and occupied by expensive cars. Meanwhile, the seats on airliners are designed to comfortably fit a child. Drop the joystick and the fork and observe the amazing vanishing addictions.

Dimebag

Re: How to end my computer game addiction?

Post by Dimebag » Sat May 18, 2019 3:06 am

Listen to some kind of motivational podcast, Jocko Podcast works for me, and Jordan Peterson also helps. You need to realise that if you want something you can actually do it, you just need to want it enough, so you need to first dig yourself out of whatever hole you have made for yourself, as no doubt you have, that’s what addiction does. Use these guys to help solve your problems, as likely you are using these games to escape your problems.

Jocko has a few tools to help you focus on your problems and break them down into simple parts which you can deliberately go through and execute. He will help “unblock” your tendency to procrastinate and put this off, by uncovering and shedding light in this weakness in a funny and helpful way, which will make you both feel like a child at first for being so weak, but at the same time, empower you with the tools to overcome your flaws.

Jordan Peterson speaks to the inner nihilist in you, the side of you that says, ‘what’s the point, nothing I could do means anything to anyone’, he will help you find things in your life worth putting in effort for, worth making something of yourself for, worth sacrificing for. Because as much as science is a wonderful tool for understanding the world, it can’t tell a person how to live, or why they should do the things they need to do. You need a meaningful framework in order to understand life and your place in the world, which itself is wisdom, or practical knowledge passed down based on what works and what provides the most meaning and motivation in ones life.

Along the way you will learn much about yourself, your flaws especially as uncovering these will give you the ability to find workarounds and what has been holding you back, and things you might never have been taught or missed along the way in your life. It might involve some confronting realisations about past decisions you might have made, and will give you some perspective on where you went wrong, but this is key to re-building yourself anew.

But the real problem is most likely you have no goal, you aren’t working towards anything. If you don’t value anything you will not want anything for your life, so you need to start from here.