How to end my computer game addiction?

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

tbieter

Re: How to end my computer game addiction?

Post by tbieter »

tbieter wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:16 pm
Londoner wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:16 am How about learning a language online, using something like Duolingo? Lots of little challenges to be overcome, a clear sense of progression. You can comment on the process and get responses from other 'players'. And unlike most computer games, you can use the skills you acquire in real life, with real people.
Practice self-discipline by using will power. When you go online and experience the desire to play, resist, and go to this forum. Then sign off and run from your computer. The more you resist a desire, the weaker it becomes. Thomas Aquinas and William James both taught this psychological principle. This is how I quit smoking, without using any aid, after two packs a day for fifty years. Now I have no desire to smoke even though the smell of someone smoking near me is enticing. Self-discipline is a virtue.
I see that on October 17 I will celebrate a 10th anniversary of being on this forum.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

This fellow is actually lucky. I would like to play video games, but am crap at it because they weren't around for me, except pong. So I can't even enjoy the experience.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

tbieter wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:35 pm
tbieter wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:16 pm
Londoner wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:16 am How about learning a language online, using something like Duolingo? Lots of little challenges to be overcome, a clear sense of progression. You can comment on the process and get responses from other 'players'. And unlike most computer games, you can use the skills you acquire in real life, with real people.
Practice self-discipline by using will power. When you go online and experience the desire to play, resist, and go to this forum. Then sign off and run from your computer. The more you resist a desire, the weaker it becomes. Thomas Aquinas and William James both taught this psychological principle. This is how I quit smoking, without using any aid, after two packs a day for fifty years. Now I have no desire to smoke even though the smell of someone smoking near me is enticing. Self-discipline is a virtue.
I see that on October 17 I will celebrate a 10th anniversary of being on this forum.

Hey, I think marijuana possession in Canada becomes legal the same day. Small world.... Oh, that was posted last year. Never mind. Happy 11th, tbieter.
Judaka

Post by Judaka »

I think computer game "addiction" is less of an addiction and more of a feeling that there's really nothing else to do. Like you'd be willing to do other things but you have no friends, no ambitions and no other hobbies. If that's correct then rather than trying to stop playing computer games, start thinking about and adding new things to your list of things to do and just gradually start doing them. It's a marathon, not a race.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Throwing the computer out the window is a start....
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Ever hear of an "off" button?
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

When you feel the urge:

Focus on all the times you lost lives.
All the times you fought in vain and the game ended.
Think of the frustrations you felt.
Keep thinking of that.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

The same way that any addict controls their addiction. Get with a program. Get with a group. Get with a counselor.

BTW, you will not end your addiction. You will spend a lifetime working to control your addiction.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Above us only sky wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:06 am I like computer games when I was a teenager and now I found myself still like them. But in my heart I always thought playing computer game is a waste of time even though I really like it. On the one hand I want to stop playing those games so I will not waste so much time and to do something really useful, but on the other hand I really enjoy it.

In my real life I do not have many friends. My addiction pattern is to play games for a whole week and then getting really depressed for wasting a week's time on gaming, then I usually will delete those games and promise I will never touch them. after this I can focus my mind on doing something useful for one week. But after one week or two I will install those games into my computer again.

I realize I have no other real options to relax myself when I feel anxious or tired inside; I have no friends to talk to... Computer games is the only option. If so then how to get out of this computer game addiction?
Play all of them. Soon you will find things repetitive. You then get bored and give up.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Grow up.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Treat an addiction as if it’s an addiction.
henry quirk

as I say up-thread: go get a job, work, then play WoW in your off time.

Post by henry quirk »

Way too many folks are all a'tizzy about bein' 'addicted' to this or that, and they've been made that way by 'authorities' lookin' to make a buck offa their mis-directed assess.

What used to be 'hobby' is now 'addiction'.

Fuck all that. Stop listenin' to Dr. 'Lookin' To Sell Book'.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

try the Homeworld series!

Homeworld, Homeworld Cataclysism (now Homeworld Emergence), Homeworld 2.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

An addiction is an addiction is an addiction.
henry quirk

addiction = horseshit

Post by henry quirk »

horseshit sold for top dollar

'you're addicted...gimme your money and i'll help you become un-addicted'