Survival techniques for oversensitive people

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

TSBU

Re: Re:

Post by TSBU »

Greta wrote:
TSBU wrote:We are not dogs, even if you want to see it that way.
Straw person. Bleagh.
Hahahahaha. At least I'm still a person. But ok, you've proven your point, there are people whose mind and actions can be like dogs XD.
marjoram_blues

Re: Survival techniques for oversensitive people

Post by marjoram_blues »

I think it might be useful to look at the issues of self protection and self care; together with their relationship with self promotion or development.

It has been suggested that ' if one is self protective, one becomes smaller with growth projects shelved'.

Perhaps that is the case for some individuals some of the time. To avoid pain or contact with external elements, they isolate or restrict themselves - physically, socially. Perhaps this could restrict growth but does not necessarily mean any diminishing of self, or any shelving of projects. Indeed, it could result in the opposite - time to think, read, meditate, - enjoy company of self, for self's sake. Including health.

Positive health involves protection, care and promotion. It concerns quality of life and the potential of - here, the human condition.

Protection : applied to work situation > safe and healthy environment. Related to this is prevention of harm - strategies to prevent bad from happening - including perceived or real bullying. Know that there is more awareness and hopefully more support offered to both sides of a bad situation. But not everywhere. Often, people are left to self-care. Perhaps philosophy helps...

Promotion : is more positive, designed to enhance health, it is a process of enabling.

Basically, health or self care is on a continuum between the two. To deal with any problems, and encourage self development, we consider key areas such as biology, environment, lifestyle and resources/services.
Wellbeingness is not about simply coping but thriving. And for that, education is key.

So, strategies for self-care and growth involves good nutrional state for starters...> physical fitness > emotional wellbeing.
Immunizing against threats. Collecting and sifting through evidence.
An ongoing project. Of care.

Duszek, this and previous posts are about all I can offer right now. Nothing that is new or particularly creative.
Perhaps more adversity is required :)
Good Luck !

PS from Marcus Aurelius : if you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.
Walker

Re: Re:

Post by Walker »

Greta wrote:
TSBU wrote:We are not dogs, even if you want to see it that way.
Straw person. Bleagh.
Really. Quite dishonest.
Walker

Re:

Post by Walker »

TSBU wrote:We are not dogs ...
So this is the sad state to which philosophical insight has sunk.

Very well.

We are not dogs, that’s for sure.

A dog will die for its human without a second thought.

Most humans would not reciprocate such a selfless act, although likely someone has, since by now humans have had time to do most everything.

A dog dying for its human refutes the view that dogs are the ultimate parasite that have evolved to meet their needs by cozying up to man.

However, such self-sacrifice supports the view of those who think dogs are loyal, but stupid.

Keep working on the attitude.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgV39850BqA
Walker

Post by Walker »

A really effective survival technique for oversensitive people is to simply always tell the truth.

Make it a habit.

The habit harnesses the over-thinking tendency to good purpose.

One develops mindfulness, and skillful means.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Dog "philosophy":

First of all, we go through our lives figtinh for sustent. Evidently "growth" is a metaphor, so that can be knowledge, territory, food? sex? money?

People with "lack of weapons"... what is a "weapon"? Anyway, in dogs philosophy, from the begining, we see this as a fight, a fight where there are risks. What risks? What can you loose? Your life? Your mind? territory, food, sex, money? And we start by separating people in kinds, those who hide (from what?), those who run, etc. And, of course, those who hunt, at the top of the pyramid. Creepy.

It can be expected to hear from retarded gym meat (those who are unable of doing anything but body training), from retarded teenagers who have readen tooo much Nietzsche or... Hitler and fear their own shadows but want to believe that they are brave... but it's not serious.

The fact is that introvert people have a more developed personality, "inner growth" if you want, always (simply because they spend more time thinking), and many times, they can have more money etc. Avoiding human contact doesn't mean necesarily being coward, or having a lack of any "weapon", it may mean simply that you don't need or want to be with boring humans. And the world isn't necesarily a fucking fight of any kind, and we don't need to "grow", we need to learn, but people can do that with no many risks but time.

"Weapons" in humanity as the equipment we have for life, can only be measured without error after life (there are many stupid, ugly, unhealthy, etc, who are at the top of that illusory lie and are not the best in anything). The only risk we take dealing with other humans is seeing how they would act, and "real risks" (your life) can only be there from brutish people (who are never at the top of anything), people is eaten by fear, and they rarely put their lifes at limits, they want to protect their lies, but they really don't have any risk: The man who doesn't want to ask his boss or more money, the girl he likes for a date, the project he wants... what can he lose? time? No, what he can lose primary is his own idea about himself (or the world in general) and what can he do.

Etc. Answering this is nearly ridiculous, cause everything what I'm saying is more than evident... unless you don't want to see it.

Dishonest? me? Go and run for a bone. It's easy to understand that you see this as a "fight" if you can't do anything but fight to get what you want.
Walker

Post by Walker »

That was a fast response.

A sign of oversensitivity?

I’ll read it later, should you want to edit.

I find an interesting topic to be the association of energy with emotion.
For example, anger and frustration (suffering) has a correlation of increased energy.
I think that much of the correlation is a conditioned response in defense of self-cherishing.
Once the correlation shifts, perception changes in an energetic way.
Once energized, situations are not solely survival oriented.
Placement of attention is key.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Walker wrote:That was a fast response.

A sign of oversensitivity?

I’ll read it later, should you want to edit.

I find an interesting topic to be the association of energy with emotion.
For example, anger and frustration (suffering) has a correlation of increased energy.
I think that much of the correlation is a conditioned response in defense of self-cherishing.
Once the correlation shifts, perception changes in an energetic way.
Once energized, situations are not solely survival oriented.
Placement of attention is key.
A sign of start writing before your post
duszek

Post by duszek »

A hypersensitive person is one who is sooner moved to tears than other people.

An example:
In the primary school a novel by De Amicis about a dog who traveled with trains on his own is being read and discussed.
When the passage comes in which the dog runs to push to the side a little girl playing on the rails and dies under the wheels of the coming train himself one or two girls cannot help crying while all the other kids stay calm. Amused or sad, but not crying.

These two girls are not over-cherishing themselves, do they ?

Another example:
People go for a nice trip, it is fun and adventure. One of the participants is suffering like from a nightmare. It is too much for this person.

A hypersensitive person has a disadvantage and needs to apply some tricks to stay cool and detached.
duszek

Post by duszek »

I wonder if someone like Inspector Barnaby or Sherlock Holmes were hypersensitive.
Things occurred to them that did not occur to normal people.

Being hypersensitive does not mean that you lose self-control and don´t manage your emotions.
Walker

Post by Walker »

duszek wrote:These two girls are not over-cherishing themselves, do they ?
Don't assume they are over-sensitive.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Walker wrote:
duszek wrote:These two girls are not over-cherishing themselves, do they ?
Don't assume they are over-sensitive.
What are the alternatives? Still, Duszek is right that it's not self-protective behaviour to weep in that situation.

Admission: the ending of My Dog Skip had me weeping like an Italian woman paid to build up a funeral :lol:
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Cry can be a way of getting attention. It is, most of times.
Skip

Post by Skip »

duszek wrote:I wonder if someone like Inspector Barnaby or Sherlock Holmes were hypersensitive.
Things occurred to them that did not occur to normal people.
Holmes had some emotional issues. Maybe hypersensitivity, maybe Asperger's.
The first Barnaby was an insensitive clod much of the time... remember when he left Jones in the iron maiden and smirked at his discomfiture? He pretty smirked at everyone's difficulties. The second one was nicer and far more aware of other people. You knew he would be, by the way he spoke to his dog.
Walker

Post by Walker »

duszek wrote:A hypersensitive person has a disadvantage and needs to apply some tricks to stay cool and detached.
What are some methods for managing thoughts that have uncontrollable effects upon behavior, and why are these methods effective?