Survival techniques for oversensitive people

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Survival techniques for oversensitive people

Post by Walker »

duszek wrote:These people perceive too much in one go, a big load of impressions, a big input, which can be too much soon and so they need to switch off.

These people have a very low appetite for travels, entertainments.
They are easy to please in a way.
They can live frugal lives and they hardly ever get bored.

Being hypersensitve does not mean that you are a narcissistic irriscible ego-shoter.
Hypersensitive people often are over-empathetic too.
So they should not work as paramedics probably.
So it goes with the labelers.

Defining sensitivity as intelligence …

Imagine a university professor who can teach every subject but one, running down a hillside and screaming like a maniac, ready to kill the first person he finds, or die trying.
viewtopic.php?f=20&p=296761#p296759

Obviously he was intelligent, therefore sensitive, though to an observer he is behaving like a caveman with a club, because he’s only shootin blanks.

Figure that one out. An intelligent, sensitive caveman. And he didn’t even have to hide it by talking and acting like a thug in society.
Or maybe he did. Maybe university professors used to be less pacifistic, as a rule. Evolution. (No, that doesn’t sound right.)

Life indicates a bit more depth and complexity to folks than paint-by-numbers, don’t you know.
Especially when the folks involved are making history. Like Trump! :lol:

Though in a sound byte, surely such a one can be summarized, for what it's worth.
Last edited by Walker on Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Re:

Post by Walker »

henry quirk wrote:I knew a girl with golden globes, front and back...comin' (cummin') or goin', she was always a treasure.
I see. I meant TSBU’s type of poser, though now that you mention it, that fits too.

Peter Sellers - RARE TV sketch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deaHpMuOLTQ
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

This post is pure mental puke XD.
It makes me want to start a fire :c
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Which post? Walker's or *mine?

*please, lord jesus in heaven above, let me me the splinter in TSBU's eye...I'd rather be the plank upside the head but I gotta make do with what is
TSBU

Re:

Post by TSBU »

henry quirk wrote:Which post? Walker's or *mine?

*please, lord jesus in heaven above, let me me the splinter in TSBU's eye...I'd rather be the plank upside the head but I gotta make do with what is
Mine.
This thread makes me puke, and my puke makes me want to press fire, to the whole treath and the people in it, because it's evidently a thread for everyone not to show, but to confirm how they are to themselves.

Not me, if you are going to ask again.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Your comments here, and Harbal's elsewhere, have me wondering: if a thread is repulsive or boring, why participate in it? Or, if a thread becomes unseemly after you have participated, why not just stop?

When the party turns ugly: leave.
Walker

Re: Re:

Post by Walker »

TSBU wrote:
henry quirk wrote:Which post? Walker's or *mine?

Mine.
This thread makes me puke, and my puke makes me want to press fire, to the whole treath and the people in it, because it's evidently a thread for everyone not to show, but to confirm how they are to themselves.

Not me, if you are going to ask again.
Once you accept and embrace without rancor or resentment that no really cares what you think or have to say unless there’s a way to profit, then you also realize that no one cares for your vomit, either.

It’s actually quite liberating to be unbound from lack of caring, and vomitus.

You’ll learn.
Walker

Post by Walker »

When life gives you vomit, turn it into lemonade, figuratively speaking.

VOMIT. VOMITUS. VOMITORIUM.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... omitorium/
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Walker wrote: Once you accept and embrace without rancor or resentment that no really cares what you think or have to say unless there’s a way to profit, then you also realize that no one cares for your vomit, either.

You’ll learn.
I accept what is evident, that's not a problem. And I know that noone cares about my vomit. Here.

What I can't asume is that people are so stupid to not see profit.
Greta

Post by Greta »

duszek wrote:yes I meant hypersensitive.

These people perceive too much in one go, a big load of impressions, a big input, which can be too much soon and so they need to switch off.
Yes. Our senses are filters. Without enough filtering light is blinding, sound is deafening, touch is painful, and smells and tastes overwhelming. Too much filtering, things are invisible in dim light, with quiet sounds inaudible, etc. Either will ultimately receive less meaningful information than one with more optimised senses.

I'm wondering why you focused on sensitivity rather than insensitivity, as each are issues. Does this relate to self development or what's you've been noticing in others? Both?
duszek wrote:These people have a very low appetite for travels, entertainments.
They are easy to please in a way.
They can live frugal lives and they hardly ever get bored.
Take away the comment about boredom and the above sounds like getting older.
duszek wrote:Being hypersensitve does not mean that you are a narcissistic irriscible ego-shoter.
Hypersensitive people often are over-empathetic too.
So they should not work as paramedics probably.
Consider the difference between sensitivity towards self and sensitivity towards others. The idea especially calls to mind a particular "narcissistic, irascible ego-shooter" who has been dominating western news for the last year or so. He wasn't exactly sensitive to the women he groped or to the many people with whom he has conflicted, but he is famously sensitive to criticism.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Hypersensitivity isn't "toward" anybody. It's just a state of having very thin armour in general.
Sight, sound, sensation, emotion, speech, images, light, sexual attraction, Bambi, sugar, colour, crowds, graffiti, wind, insect bites, Christmas, chili powder, grief, the smell of locker rooms - everything.
I know that some middle-norms consider whatever other people are or feel or lack to be about them, but it's really not. It's just like being dyslexic, left-handed or allergic to horse dander. It's just something a minority of the population has and must learn to cope with.

Why Duszek decided to focus on this end of the spectrum rather than the opposite end is probably - and I'm only guessing - because the hypersensitive are far more vulnerable than the insensnsitive and require some kind of coping device. Perhaps the insensitive are unaware of their degree of differentness from the mid-range norm, or know and don't mind. At least, I've never had to counsel anyone who complained of insufficient sensitivity.

Me, I don't care. I shot-put tomcats every morning, wearing burlap long-Johns, in a fluorescent lime-green atrium, with the Monkees going full blast from six speakers.
But there are people unlike me, and I'm okay with it; I don't think they're being deliberately different just to spite me.
Last edited by Skip on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

TSBU wrote:
Walker wrote: Once you accept and embrace without rancor or resentment that no really cares what you think or have to say unless there’s a way to profit, then you also realize that no one cares for your vomit, either.

You’ll learn.
I accept what is evident, that's not a problem. And I know that noone cares about my vomit. Here.

What I can't asume is that people are so stupid to not see profit.
Profit and delusion are the reasons for movin

Folks learn the delusion of biting the hand that feeds

Learning the profit of quenching thirst

Learns the advantage of all quenches in clinches

And the debit of delusion
Walker

Post by Walker »

Greta wrote:Consider the difference between sensitivity towards self and sensitivity towards others. The idea especially calls to mind a particular "narcissistic, irascible ego-shooter" who has been dominating western news for the last year or so. He wasn't exactly sensitive to the women he groped or to the many people with whom he has conflicted, but he is famously sensitive to criticism.
Trump thinks like the Godfather
If you are his friend
Your enemies will fear you
Much of the world understands that language
That’s a fact Jack
Greta

Post by Greta »

Walker wrote:
Greta wrote:Consider the difference between sensitivity towards self and sensitivity towards others. The idea especially calls to mind a particular "narcissistic, irascible ego-shooter" who has been dominating western news for the last year or so. He wasn't exactly sensitive to the women he groped or to the many people with whom he has conflicted, but he is famously sensitive to criticism.
If you are his friend
That’s a fact Jack
The topic is sensitivity.
You post is contrary, Mary.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Greta wrote:
Walker wrote:
If you are his friend
That’s a fact Jack
The topic is sensitivity.
You post is contrary, Mary.
Roger that, Hoss. Thanks for the reality check.

Obviously Trump has the intelligence to be sensitive to the winds of change that air-brush the colors of phenomena in layers upon the canvas of reality. It’s right there plain as day. Critics who say he is an insensitive bumbler are thrashing about in a grand mal of reality denial, scrabbling for a toehold somewhere in imagination, planting seed pearls around which to spin a nacre of story that can be repeated in the same way by many folks, layer upon layer, until it is truth.

Vote recount didn’t work out, except that woman politician who chains herself to dozers made some quick cash. So that’s not so important a story anymore. Attacking the FBI director never really got legs so keep looking, keep cooking up those ideas. Now the push is on for Russian “hacking,” as yet another divisive tactic to delegitimize the democratic process of transferring big-time power in the name of the people.

Hacking has become an all-purpose cause, like glitch. People know that hacking is bad. People know that glitch is bad. That’s all they need to know. Hacking is the buzzword now, though Clinton’s hacking cough wasn’t much concern during the campaign. Hacking will be repeated until propagandists and the inattentive remember that the election was hacked, which shouldn’t take too long, given how all processes seem to be accelerating these days.

As a boss Trump knows that when someone steps out of line, with brevity you let them know this has been noticed. With tweets aimed to shame he uses words like “unfair.” Tweet-timing the news cycle requires sensitivity. Trump’s outflanking of the media image-makers with current technology to shape and control his message displays intelligence.

Attention now turns to the first test.
Maybe Putin will send missiles to Cuba, maybe China or Korea will flex.