Survival techniques for oversensitive people

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

duszek

Survival techniques for oversensitive people

Post by duszek »

How about this:

an oversensitive person needs double standards,
one set of standards for people like herself and another set of standards for the normal people.

An oversensitve person approaches a normal person in a way that from her point of view is callous but from the normal person´s point of view is not a big deal (tough, cool, etc.)
henry quirk

safe-space seekers need to thicken their skin

Post by henry quirk »

'nuff said.
TSBU

Re: Survival techniques for oversensitive people

Post by TSBU »

duszek wrote:How about this:

"oversensitive" means more sensitive than they should. Bad way of seeing things. And sensitive has a laxe meaning.
duszek wrote:one set of standards for people like herself and another set of standards for the normal people.
A man can be sensitive too ._. standard has a laxe meaning, we have an "standard" for each person, and we can make distinctions in everything, we have a different standard for big feet and small feet too, of course, there can be big changes between people.
An oversensitve person approaches a normal person in a way that from her point of view is callous but from the normal person´s point of view is not a big deal (tough, cool, etc.)
You are self lying :(
Harbal

Re: safe-space seekers need to thicken their skin

Post by Harbal »

henry quirk wrote:'nuff said.
kin hell, henry, that's all you ever sez.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Shit, Harbal, I sez all kinda things...I ask questions too... :|
TSBU

Re: safe-space seekers need to thicken their skin

Post by TSBU »

Harbal wrote:
henry quirk wrote:'nuff said.
kin hell, henry, that's all you ever sez.
I love your avatar :shock:
TSBU

Re:

Post by TSBU »

henry quirk wrote:Shit, Harbal, I sez all kinda things...I ask questions too... :|
I dunno, I wanna see dat.
Greta

Post by Greta »

duszek wrote:How about this:

one set of standards for people like herself and another set of standards for the normal people.

I've been accused of being of as being both over-sensitive or insensitive. Ha! It's never that simple.

Still, the opposite to "sensitive" is "insensate", the latter meaning that one has little clue what's going on. So sensitivity has its perks. Also, as with everything, it has its downsides, ie. being a PITA as alluded to in your OP. By the same token, it's easy to see the advantages and negatives of insensitivity.

Either sensitivity or "toughness" can be nauseating when it, to quote Peter Griffin, "insists on itself" :) Competitive sanctimony - "I and people like me are great but that other mob is dreadful" - is unpleasant to deal with regardless of the source.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Greta wrote: I've been accused of being of as being both over-sensitive or insensitive. Ha! It's never that simple.
Me too XD.
Skip

Post by Skip »

How about 'hypersensitive'?
Some people are more intensely aware of, and responsive to their environment than the norm. That's to be expected, since the members of a species are never all the same; individuals are imbued with a complement of their natural characteristics on a scale of magnitude.

If one is close to either end of a scale on any particular trait, or set of traits that form a characteristic type, that person will have very specific problems in relating to people on the middle of the scale. He or she will then have to devise strategies for coping with interaction.

The one stated in the OP is a simplistic guideline, but I don't think it's wrong.
The Hyper Sensitive Person will probably be forced to pretend greater confidence than they feel; be more assertive than they're comfortable with; frequently hide or disguise their instinctive reactions; always refrain from saying the first thing that comes to mind.
They will have to train themselves not to flinch from handshakes and back-slaps and uninvited hugs (because middle-norms would take that as a personal rejection and be offended). They will have to practice smiles - different ones for various social encounters. They will have to feign indifference or even pleasure at remarks that they actually find intrusive, too personal. They must be on their guard every minute that they spend among middle-norms.
Given all this, HSP's tire very quickly in the company of regular people. They need double or longer rest, solitude, recovery time. They need to budget for extra down-time during the course of every day, as well as at the end of a work- or school-week.
It's important for parents to recognize this characteristic in their HSP child, just as it's important to catch dyslexia or Asperger's as early as possible, so as to help the child learn coping strategies before they're out on their own.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Skip wrote:How about 'hypersensitive'?
Some people are more intensely aware of, and responsive to their environment than the norm. That's to be expected, since the members of a species are never all the same; individuals are imbued with a complement of their natural characteristics on a scale of magnitude.

If one is close to either end of a scale on any particular trait, or set of traits that form a characteristic type, that person will have very specific problems in relating to people on the middle of the scale. He or she will then have to devise strategies for coping with interaction.

The one stated in the OP is a simplistic guideline, but I don't think it's wrong.
The Hyper Sensitive Person will probably be forced to pretend greater confidence than they feel; be more assertive than they're comfortable with; frequently hide or disguise their instinctive reactions; always refrain from saying the first thing that comes to mind.
They will have to train themselves not to flinch from handshakes and back-slaps and uninvited hugs (because middle-norms would take that as a personal rejection and be offended). They will have to practice smiles - different ones for various social encounters. They will have to feign indifference or even pleasure at remarks that they actually find intrusive, too personal. They must be on their guard every minute that they spend among middle-norms.
Given all this, HSP's tire very quickly in the company of regular people. They need double or longer rest, solitude, recovery time. They need to budget for extra down-time during the course of every day, as well as at the end of a work- or school-week.
It's important for parents to recognize this characteristic in their HSP child, just as it's important to catch dyslexia or Asperger's as early as possible, so as to help the child learn coping strategies before they're out on their own.
Define sensitive, or "responsive to enviroment". Being sensitive or responsive to the enviroment can be seen as a sign of being a more energic being, I wouldn't say that people who are "intense" are also "non sensitive".

We are all different and we have a different treat for each person, that's true, nobody has denied that, and, of course, the treat can be very different, and, almost everybody has evidently more coomprension with "their kind". But I bet he is not saying what is evident for everybody, specially because of the words "cool, though", who the hell (out of teenagers) think in doing what he does to be though or cool?
People are nearly always (and the nearly is important) more sensitive? (fragile is a better word), than they show. And they all seem to have their recursive hiden thoughts and feelings, even if they are not very complex and almost empty.

Just quit think and put feel, and there you have it.
Skip

Post by Skip »

TSBU wrote:Define sensitive, or "responsive to enviroment".
- Responsive to physical stimuli; susceptible to the attitudes, feelings, or circumstances of others; tender ; acute mental or emotional sensibility; possessing or exhibiting the capacity of receiving impressions from external objects; susceptible; easily and acutely affected.

You can be more or less energetic and more or less sensitive at the same time: those traits are not mutually dependent. Sensitivity is about the reception of stimuli, not the output of effort. The only correlation between those things is that if you have to expand a lot of effort on resisting overstimulation, you need to recharge more often, unless you are also hyperkinetic. That could happen, but would be unusual: most people are middle-norm in most of their functions, the few individuals at the ends of a scale tend to occupy that position in only one respect.

All eyes are photosensitive, but some water and hurt in strong sunlight, while others are comfortable at the same light intensity. The hypersensitive ones need to compensate by wearing tinted lenses or broad-brimmed hats when they go out in summer.
People who are either physically or emotionally hypersensitive to some particular type of stimulus need to compensate by appropriate behaviour modification. Simple enough.
There you have what?
Did you contradict my thesis, expand on it, replace it or support it?
Are you saying that everyone is equally sensitive, or insensitive, or that everyone is so different that no general policy or strategy can possibly be useful in how each of us approach social interaction?
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Skip wrote:
TSBU wrote:Define sensitive, or "responsive to enviroment".
- Responsive to physical stimuli; susceptible to the attitudes, feelings, or circumstances of others; tender ; acute mental or emotional sensibility; possessing or exhibiting the capacity of receiving impressions from external objects; susceptible; easily and acutely affected.
You didn't understand me. Everybody (unless they are in coma) are responsive to physical stimuli, attitudes, feelings or circumstances of others etc. The "easily and acutely" is where the problem is. Evidently, that can't be measured, unless you are talking about coma etc.
Sensitivity is about the reception of stimuli, not the output of effort.

How do you measure input without output of emotions?
The only correlation between those things is that if you have to expand a lot of effort on resisting overstimulation, you need to recharge more often, unless you are also hyperkinetic.
Feelings don't get tired, in fact, aphatic people are usually tired people, basically, emotions are hormons etc, and usually, having more hormons makes you more "intense" in your feelings and you need less recharge, testosterone is what make males have male behaviour, a lot of testosterone means more chances of a fght because of the name of a cat, and it is what sportmen take to train and compete, I wouldn't say that a Woman with PMS is insensitive or has "low energy" either, I don't know how to say "tiroides" in English.
That could happen, but would be unusual: most people are middle-norm in most of their functions,
by definition.
All eyes are photosensitive, but some water and hurt in strong sunlight, while others are comfortable at the same light intensity. The hypersensitive ones need to compensate by wearing tinted lenses or broad-brimmed hats when they go out in summer.

If he was talking about that kind of sensitivity, I'll eat my hat.

People who are either physically or emotionally hypersensitive to some particular type of stimulus need to compensate by appropriate behaviour modification. Simple enough.
Evidently enough to not be said. Everybody need to do that.
There you have what?
A pie.

Did you contradict my thesis, expand on it, replace it or support it?
Fuck this shit, you won the competition, you are superior. I'm not arguing with you for Pikachu's shake...
Are you saying that everyone is equally sensitive, or insensitive, or that everyone is so different that no general policy or strategy can possibly be useful in how each of us approach social interaction?
I'm saying more than one thing.

Many people tend to underestimate other people sensitivity or thought hability, like the one who made the post, and almost everybody think that they are more sensitive than the common people.
And I'm saying that... nah, read if you are curious, post and fap if you want other thing. I'm "emotionaly tired of this".
Walker

Post by Walker »

TSBU wrote:Define sensitive, or "responsive to enviroment". Being sensitive or responsive to the enviroment can be seen as a sign of being a more energic being, I wouldn't say that people who are "intense" are also "non sensitive".
Sensitive, or "responsive to environment," is intelligence.

Over-sensitive is over-thinking, not over-intelligence. The is no over intelligence. Indeed, the trend is often the other way. Intelligence simply knows the limitation and tail-eating tendencies of over-thinking that can go around and around forever.

As a method of directing energy for survival, the restless mind of oversensitivity can easily be calmed by non-intellectual placement of steady attention upon one of the five senses, usually sound or sight.
Last edited by Walker on Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skip

Post by Skip »

TSBU wrote:The "easily and acutely" is where the problem is. Evidently, that can't be measured,
It doesn't need to be measured. If you are hyper - that is more than the norm - sensitive, you know it.
How do you measure input without output of emotions?
You don't. I was talking about making an exceptional effort - in work, in learning strategy, in being on guard, in self-defence, in putting up a front that doesn't come naturally. Ask an actor whether keep up a role is effortless.
Feelings don't get tired,
No. People do. People experiencing strong emotion for a protracted period become very tired indeed.
[All eyes are photosensitive, but some water and hurt in strong sunlight, while others are comfortable at the same light intensity. The hypersensitive ones need to compensate by wearing tinted lenses or broad-brimmed hats when they go out in summer.]
If he was talking about that kind of sensitivity, I'll eat my hat.
It's an example of normal sensitivity and hypersensitivity.

Fuck this shit, you won the competition, you are superior. I'm not arguing with you for Pikachu's shake...
I imagine you have some reason for this hostility. I don't know what that reason is.
Don't really care, actually.