Be good to yourself

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Be good to yourself

Post by Walker » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:00 pm

marjoram_blues wrote:Who is the harshest judge on your behaviour - reflecting on past experience; actions and consequences?
Your self ?
What good does it do, this self-analysis, if it brings you down ?
There are plenty others out there who judge and label you without knowing all the facts and circumstances.

Do we accept that this will always be the case. And how do we train the mind to be kind to self, becalm its tortured and tortuous thoughts or imaginings...

Are certain philosophies better or worse than others at 'self kindness' ?
Which philosophy has been 'good for you' - and can you explain what, where and how it was of benefit ? Also, how much of it has become your core way of living, and would not change...even if some 'costs' are involved ?

What about the philosophy of chocolate :shock:
Or Winnie the Pooh 8)
That would make a funny caption under a portrait of the fat kid, Kim Jong-un.

Detachment from self-deception makes smiling politeness genuine and truthful when self-cherishing is neglected, which often happens when pressed for time, like the cheerful waitress or happy house builder where perpetual motion preferably with speed and precision is the ticket. Attention enfolded by the present, upon which various phenomena appear, naturally flows to the path of least resistance, though to meet many of the conditioned expectations of life, self-sabotage adds dramatic tension to the script. Dramatic tension is supplied courtesy of attachment to self-deception, like an actor attached to the stage.

marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:06 pm

Listening to the radio can make us happier and give more energy; a mood enhancer. Apparently.

Trying out something different.

Tuning in to a comedian usually not my cuppa tea. But.
Arthur Smith sings Leonard Cohen on Radio 4 Extra. Pure delight.

Radio therapy of a gentle kind.

duszek

Post by duszek » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:41 pm

Yes, radio can be good, but it depends on who is speaking.
If you are from the US then Rush Limbough or Dr. Laura can be good for some but not for all.

Some people speak nicely but they speed up too much, they speak in a hasteful way, as if pushed by a high amount of coffee or red bull.
This is unrelaxing and I tend to switch off.

French people on the TV chanel arte have this tendency too. Why this haste ? Why not celebrate every word ?
As if they worried that if they don´t say it quickly enough they will forget what they wanted to say.
Or that people may think they are slow mentally.

I prefer slow thinking and slow talking.

TSBU

Post by TSBU » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:05 pm

duszek wrote:Yes, radio can be good, but it depends on who is speaking.
If you are from the US then Rush Limbough or Dr. Laura can be good for some but not for all.

Some people speak nicely but they speed up too much, they speak in a hasteful way, as if pushed by a high amount of coffee or red bull.
This is unrelaxing and I tend to switch off.

French people on the TV chanel arte have this tendency too. Why this haste ? Why not celebrate every word ?
As if they worried that if they don´t say it quickly enough they will forget what they wanted to say.
Or that people may think they are slow mentally.

I prefer slow thinking and slow talking.
And blocked bishops XD.