Books as friends

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoram_blues

Re: Books as friends

Post by marjoram_blues »

duszek wrote:A book can make you stop thinking about something that worries you too much and annoys you.

I like to listen to a writer reading his own novel or to an audio book in general, in a lying position, with the legs up for blood circulation and moving my arms and holding dumb-bells. That way the concentration is good and one can improve one´s muscles at the same time.
:D I hope that you don't hear anything shocking enough to make you drop your dumb-bells on your head. Or twist your core...
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

duszek wrote: I like to listen to a writer reading his own novel or to an audio book in general, in a lying position, with the legs up
When my dog does that I just assume it's because it wants it's tummy tickling, I didn't realise it was asking me to read it a story.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:
But there can be more to reading than simple distraction, or escapism, no?
What do you think of 'bibliotherapy' - which I think is about prescription of works of fiction, philosophy, poetry or creative non-fiction particularly tailored to meet individual needs or desires ?

Book-matching for an ideal travel companion...?
Or is it more fun to leave it to chance...
It is nice when you stumble upon a great story or non-fiction work by chance, opening up new venues, but I try to tailor my reading to my interests, or let people with more expertise in a field recommend something they believe might complement my needs or interests. I have a philosophy professor friend doing this for me at the moment, that I don't limit myself.
Sounds good :)
and you have confidence that this philosophy friend isn't too biased towards own interests...
or does it not matter that, even if you don't limit yourself, there may well be some unseen, or hidden, constraint...
Suppose it's all a learning process, anyway.
He's teaching me to find balance, and challenge my beliefs, while allowing for those beliefs.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Dalek Prime wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: It is nice when you stumble upon a great story or non-fiction work by chance, opening up new venues, but I try to tailor my reading to my interests, or let people with more expertise in a field recommend something they believe might complement my needs or interests. I have a philosophy professor friend doing this for me at the moment, that I don't limit myself.
and you have confidence that this philosophy friend isn't too biased towards own interests...
or does it not matter that, even if you don't limit yourself, there may well be some unseen, or hidden, constraint...
He's teaching me to find balance, and challenge my beliefs, while allowing for those beliefs.
How is he doing this?
duszek

Post by duszek »

Harbal wrote:
duszek wrote: I like to listen to a writer reading his own novel or to an audio book in general, in a lying position, with the legs up
When my dog does that I just assume it's because it wants it's tummy tickling, I didn't realise it was asking me to read it a story.
A friendly gesture is always welcome.
No matter how twisted as long as we see the point behind it. :wink:
Which is always the main thing.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:
How is he doing this?
As a friend and tutor. He's listening to my interests, and recommending readings based on those. When he has time, we discuss them.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Dalek Prime wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: He's teaching me to find balance, and challenge my beliefs, while allowing for those beliefs.
How is he doing this?
As a friend and tutor. He's listening to my interests, and recommending readings based on those. When he has time, we discuss them.
Where does the balance come in to the recommended readings. Are there books which are particular friends or foes ? Or does your tutor act as devil ? Both and more...? How does he know which books are best for your interests - does he share your beliefs ?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:
How is he doing this?
Where does the balance come in to the recommended readings. Are there books which are particular friends or foes ? Or does your tutor act as devil ? Both and more...? How does he know which books are best for your interests - does he share your beliefs ?
He teaches many philosophy courses at a local university. And seems to be fairly balanced towards all. I have to trust in his judgment that he would do the same for me as his students.

And no. He is not fond of my beliefs.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Dalek Prime wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: As a friend and tutor. He's listening to my interests, and recommending readings based on those. When he has time, we discuss them.
He teaches many philosophy courses at a local university. And seems to be fairly balanced towards all. I have to trust in his judgment that he would do the same for me as his students.

It was not so much his balance to all that caught my eye but you saying he is teaching you to find balance.

What kind of balance have you reached in your own mind ? Did it need a bang on the head; some profs books can come in handy that way ! I notice you don't seem to want to mention any readings which have helped you; neither the friends nor any foes...

Perhaps later...in another thread...looking forward...
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:

It was not so much his balance to all that caught my eye but you saying he is teaching you to find balance.

What kind of balance have you reached in your own mind ? Did it need a bang on the head; some profs books can come in handy that way ! I notice you don't seem to want to mention any readings which have helped you; neither the friends nor any foes...

Telephone books and a bat. That never leaves a mark. :wink:

He's brought up a few to to me. RG Collingwood, Popper of course. Edmund Husserl. I have the list at home, but these come to mind, as they blend continental with analytic. Nothing mysterious about it though.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Dalek Prime wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: He teaches many philosophy courses at a local university. And seems to be fairly balanced towards all. I have to trust in his judgment that he would do the same for me as his students.

He's brought up a few to to me. RG Collingwood, Popper of course. Edmund Husserl. I have the list at home, but these come to mind, as they blend continental with analytic. Nothing mysterious about it though.
Ouch, Splat ! What is it like to be a bat?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:

Ouch, Splat ! What is it like to be a bat?
Not certain. I've been shaped over time, but never hewn and carved.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

For anyone interested in 'reading for wellbeing', futurelearn.com has free online course starting on 30th Jan.
'Literature and Mental Health' - University of Warwick - lasts 6 weeks, 4 hrs a week.