Is Love Flawed?

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Osric

Is Love Flawed?

Post by Osric »

-We are imperfect creatures, and therefore some of the things we do are flawed.
-Love is irrational?
-Love is conditional and can be lost.
-Love is just a tool to justify our actions.
-In order to experience physical intimacy with someone you love, you must meet conditions that are appropriate for individual in question.
-Love causes much pain and suffering.
-It is possible to love and not be loved in return.
-Love is selfish.
-When you get devoted loved from a person, you deny another person that love.
-If love is perfect, then why do so many people go through their lives without it?
-The absence of love twists and distorts a person's personality into something dark.
-Life sometimes seems pointless without love.
-Is love simply a chemical reaction in the brain?
-Seems the initial factors for love is based upon physical, mental, and/or social attraction.
-What happens when a person is not attractive at all?
-Pity is a horrible thing, especially when you feel the only reason people interact with you is because of it.
-Love has rules, even though it knows no bounds supposedly.
TSBU

Re: Is Love Flawed?

Post by TSBU »

Osric wrote:-We are imperfect creatures, and therefore some of the things we do are flawed.
1-Love is irrational?
2-Love is conditional and can be lost.
3-Love is just a tool to justify our actions.
4-In order to experience physical intimacy with someone you love, you must meet conditions that are appropriate for individual in question.
5-Love causes much pain and suffering.
6-It is possible to love and not be loved in return.
7-Love is selfish.
8-When you get devoted loved from a person, you deny another person that love.
9-If love is perfect, then why do so many people go through their lives without it?
10-The absence of love twists and distorts a person's personality into something dark.
11-Life sometimes seems pointless without love.
12-Is love simply a chemical reaction in the brain?
13-Seems the initial factors for love is based upon physical, mental, and/or social attraction.
14-What happens when a person is not attractive at all?
15-Pity is a horrible thing, especially when you feel the only reason people interact with you is because of it.
16-Love has rules, even though it knows no bounds supposedly.
0. Love has many different meanings.
1. No, nothing is irrational from my point of view.
2. Yes, for example, when your loved one dies.
3. No. Well, the word doesn't usually mean that.
4. Of course.
5. Not always, not for everybody, it also causes much pleasure and happyness.
6. With most of definitions of love, true.
7. Everything is, selfishness has many meanings too though.
8. Not always, not for everybody, but many people can only love one person every time.
9. Love isn't perfect, nothing is perfect. Also, people die.
10. Not always, not for everybody. Also, too much love can distorts a person more.
11. Not always, not for everybody.
12. Yes, like every thought and feeling, f you destroy your brain, you die.
13. It depends on the person. But in most of cases, yes.
14. Evidently, that person doesn't get love. Still, for most of love definitions, that's difficult to imagine in a person eho can think (in a person).
15. Not always, not for everybody, but that's true for almost everybody.
16. Everything has rules, what doesn't have clear bounds (are unknown) is your mind and what do you do with it.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

Any answer to "Is x flawed" hinges on one's preconceptions/expectations.

So it depends on what you expect love to be.

I think love is just fine as it is.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Of course love is flawed. Everything is flawed.
But I'd rather eat an imperfect peach than no peach at all.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Love is what you make it to be, if you are weak it may overwhelm and consume you, if you are strong you can shape it to whatever suits you.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

HexHammer wrote:Love is what you make it to be, if you are weak it may overwhelm and consume you, if you are strong you can shape it to whatever suits you.
bullshit
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

poor tennis players disagree...

-Imp
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Love hurts
Love scars
Love wounds and marks
Any heart not tough or strong enough
To take a lot of pain, take a lot of pain
Love is like a cloud, it holds a lot of rain
Love hurts,
Ooo-oo love hurts

I'm young,
I know,
But even so,
I know a thing or two I learned from you
I really learned a lot, really learned a lot
Love is like a flame, it burns you when it's hot
Love hurts,
Ooo-oo love hurts

Some fools think
Of happiness, blissfulness, togetherness
Some fools fool themselves, I guess
They're not foolin' me
I know it isn't true,
I know it isn't true
Love is just a lie made to make you blue
Love hurts,
Ooo-oo love hurts
Ooo-oo love hurts
-Nazareth
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

TSBU wrote:
HexHammer wrote:Love is what you make it to be, if you are weak it may overwhelm and consume you, if you are strong you can shape it to whatever suits you.
bullshit
It is true, it's only you who are a weakling!
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

HexHammer wrote:
TSBU wrote:
bullshit
It is true, it's only you who are a weakling!
Look, this isn't an argument, I just wanted to say that, in my mind, that is bullshit, but it's not for you.

Of course, in your... well, the thing is that we don't agree big boy, Are you talking about phisicall strenght XD? nah, forget it, we don't love the same way, there is no need to convince anyone about what should they do, about how "weak" they are :) Take it easy.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Impenitent wrote:poor tennis players disagree...

-Imp
:lol:

He’s one of the unfortunates from the Tiger Woods era, but with the help of his brother-caddy, Davis was still a golf demi-god flawed with whatever kept him from being number one in the record books. His preternaturalism was flawed.

"Love is the meaning and purpose of duality."
- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
Walker

Post by Walker »

conscience

-We are imperfect creatures, and therefore some of the things we do are flawed.
From the viewpoint of surrendering egocentric control, there are no mistakes.

-Love is irrational?
Love is easily explained, from circumstance to circumstance, within context. To be made rational the explanation allows for eccentric behaviors, which have their causes to be judged by belief or ideology.

-Love is conditional and can be lost.
Except from parent to child.

-Love is just a tool to justify our actions.
It can also be an uncontrollable force. An uncontrollable tool. A crazy c…

-In order to experience physical intimacy with someone you love, you must meet conditions that are appropriate for individual in question.
You must let someone know they are beloved, and this is shown in every gesture and word.

-Love causes much pain and suffering.
Corruption of love, betrayal of love, denial of love cause the pain and suffering. Attachment to love does not cause pain and suffering because there is no attachment to love. Love is as natural as breathing and any pain or suffering commonly associated with love is actually caused by attachment to self-cherishing.

-It is possible to love and not be loved in return.
Love is inside of you. It is possible to go to the place of love inside, in solitude. When two together go there, to that place of love inside, this is the meaning and purpose of duality.

-Love is selfish.
Corruption of love is selfish.

-When you get devoted loved from a person, you deny another person that love.
When you get devoted love from a person, every other encounter is influenced for the better.

-If love is perfect, then why do so many people go through their lives without it?
If being without love is a problem, know that the cause of every problem is self-cherishing. Knowing the cause in principle allows for application of the remedy in diverse situations, from personal to societal. The remedy is to be the change you wish to see. Love the unloved, at least that will take your mind off your own troubles.

-The absence of love twists and distorts a person's personality into something dark.
Love is never absent, though is can be inaccessible due to corruption. Ignornce and clinging are corruptions.

-Life sometimes seems pointless without love.
That’s true. Love is the point.

-Is love simply a chemical reaction in the brain?
Like a chemical reaction, it is inevitable to life and motion.

-Seems the initial factors for love is based upon physical, mental, and/or social attraction.
There’s something more. Walk into a crowded place and scan the room. Without knowing why your attention will rest on just a few, for inexplicable reasons. Others will notice others who you don’t notice. But the one who draws your attention is compatabile in some way. That’s a contributing initial factor, which can happen without physical attractiveness or knowledge of the society.

-What happens when a person is not attractive at all?
The hell state of mind, which is a delusional state for a human form, but not a hellbody.

-Pity is a horrible thing, especially when you feel the only reason people interact with you is because of it.
Pity is a gift and reason to feel compassion for those who pity, for they will be pitied.

-Love has rules, even though it knows no bounds supposedly.
The golden rule.
Osric

Post by Osric »

I think I'm just bitter towards love because I can't find it for whatever reasons. The first reason is I don't have the material possessions such as a car. The second reason is because after years of psychological torture I have let myself go, which means I lack physical attractiveness. I was born physically inferior, and despite all my attempts to compensate for it I have failed countless times. I know I am physically strong, which apparently means nothing. I know I have the endurance of an ox, which apparently means nothing. I know that I am smart when it comes to certain things, which also apparently means nothing. In the past I worked hard, but I'm running on empty. Sometimes you just need a free fill up of gas to keep going, but the world is a cruel place where nothing is free. I have lived off of my own strength of will for so long that my mind has grown dark and twisted in order to survive.

I just want someone to walk through life with and not feel alone with every challenge I face. All my relationships with friends and family feel fake and forced. I feel alone. I feel like a nuisance to the world. Why create me for such a pointless role in life? I have needs and wants like any other person, but they go unmet. I feel different from all of you now, like my purpose in life is to be the villain so to say. I want to be sincerely loved by at least one person, even if it were just a true friendship I would be happy. I feel like an outcast, left out, and for what reasons? Did I do something so wrong to be denied love?

I've been hurt by everyone around me, so I don't even trust love anyways. I've become strong, but weak at the same time. There is a war of light and darkness raging inside me, and the darkness is winning. The darkness has made me stronger, but for what purpose? Instead of desiring things that normal people want, I now desire things of evil intent. There is rage in me at the world that rejects me.
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

Love is a rather fluffy concept.

I love Ice cream in the evenings. Nothing flawed with that. Except that I would be fat if I didnt go to the gym. Which I do.