Re:

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Re: Re:

Post by Dalek Prime »

yiostheoy wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: I seem to fascinate you, like a sparkle to a magpie.
Not exactly. But if the quality of your submission were to improve that would benefit everybody.

Then there would be less useless old thread resurrections.
I'd rather keep you busy, and go for quantity. Have a sparkling day, magpie.
attofishpi

Re: Re: old age how I view its challenges

Post by attofishpi »

hajrafradi wrote:So... religions don’t do much for someone with a keen insight into philosophy, because the theories of theoretical theism are flawed beyond ridiculous.

What then?
This is the most depressing thread i have ever read, however, i did enjoy reading your post.

On the point i've quoted you upon i would suggest you take a different tack.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Gary Childress wrote:I hate getting older. The older I get, the more I feel like I should know something. When I was younger, at least I could say, "I haven't learned that yet." Excuses become harder and harder to come by when I get older. And of course I also tend to forget more things as I get older. I used to be pretty good at mathematics but I've forgotten many mathematical things I used to know how to do because I haven't continually practiced them. It's very depressing.

Sometimes I feel like I really should be dumped off at a roadside in some desolate place somewhere to perish rather than continue to be a burden on society. Or maybe I should "tune in" more to God and become a "prophet" or something. Then at least I could give people something called "salvation" in return for goods and services, maybe?

In any case, thought I'd save Henry some trouble in deleting subject lines. :)
Funny, how we see the world.

I don't worry myself with not being good at something...I admit...I gave up trying to be the best at anything long ago.
In a very confident way, I said to myself, "You can be the best at being the worst."

I don't worry myself with being a burden to anyone, at this point I think they owe me.

I do worry about people being a burden to me. I am now faced with this "millennial" generation who won't get the fuck out of my house. I call this generation "The Moochin' Millennials".

I will admit, I do agree that it sucks to slowly lose control over ones own body, It's annoying to have to use tools instead of strength to navigate through daily life. Especially, when these "moochin millennial's" won't lift a finger to help.

Can you tell I'm so over being a parent? lol

And if someday I am asked to raise my future Grandchildren.....

I think I'm going to lose my shit.
Throng

Post by Throng »

Being in the pre-old stage of life, I do notice a turning point of sorts, where the ways of the young to imagine bright futures and have hope and ambition wanes as does my physical prowess and beauty (as beauty is generally understood).

The self impression of age pertains to the values of a culture that values productivity, ambition, accumulation and sexiness as virtuous, while the facets of old age such as lived experience and wisdom are not merited as highly. This requires elderly people to be rebellious, like, screw the inane values of our ridiculous society. In so saying, this feeling of being worth only as dead weight to be left at the roadside is not so much a personal impression as it is largely the social sentiment. The elderly have no place in the social imaginary of 'progress' (which is basically just acquisition).

It's not a healthy society, but of course a person is defined within their social contexts just as any animal is defined in environmental contexts, so little surprise the rate of suicide spikes among those of an age at which they become 'useless'. However, there are cultures where the elderly play critical roles in the milieu because the social value system is such that merits of lived experience and wisdom are formative within the cultural paradigm - so the Westernised capital view is purely arbitrary and/or historically conditioned - not reasoned or true.

And face it, no youngfella can let one rip in anywhere near as well as you can.
Last edited by Throng on Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Throng

Post by Throng »

artisticsolution wrote:
Gary Childress wrote:I hate getting older. The older I get, the more I feel like I should know something. When I was younger, at least I could say, "I haven't learned that yet." Excuses become harder and harder to come by when I get older. And of course I also tend to forget more things as I get older. I used to be pretty good at mathematics but I've forgotten many mathematical things I used to know how to do because I haven't continually practiced them. It's very depressing.

Sometimes I feel like I really should be dumped off at a roadside in some desolate place somewhere to perish rather than continue to be a burden on society. Or maybe I should "tune in" more to God and become a "prophet" or something. Then at least I could give people something called "salvation" in return for goods and services, maybe?

In any case, thought I'd save Henry some trouble in deleting subject lines. :)
Funny, how we see the world.

I don't worry myself with not being good at something...I admit...I gave up trying to be the best at anything long ago.
In a very confident way, I said to myself, "You can be the best at being the worst."

I don't worry myself with being a burden to anyone, at this point I think they owe me.

I do worry about people being a burden to me. I am now faced with this "millennial" generation who won't get the fuck out of my house. I call this generation "The Moochin' Millennials".

I will admit, I do agree that it sucks to slowly lose control over ones own body, It's annoying to have to use tools instead of strength to navigate through daily life. Especially, when these "moochin millennial's" won't lift a finger to help.

Can you tell I'm so over being a parent? lol

And if someday I am asked to raise my future Grandchildren.....

I think I'm going to lose my shit.
Awesome! I got a good giggle out of that. :lol:
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Maybe I'm too young to start worring about being old (24), but I've never felt that way.

I've felt since I was a kid (and I feel) that I'm waiting to see people from my planet (well, when I was younger, I thought "maybe their brains will grow like this with time), there are no signs, and that's a lot of pain. If I knew that's impossible, I would get completely mad or suicide, but now I can try to ignore it. I'm probably going to ignore it my whole life, but, I don't think in it. Year by year, my goals are becoming more "be comfortable", I mean, the street is cold, my bed is soft. That are my life prioritys, I don't need a lot of money to be comfortable (geting money is usually uncomfortable XD). Maybe in some years I will be able to stop talking to humans because of my need to comunicate, that would be very comfortable since it would imply stop hearing stupid people.

In geting old, all what I fear is losing my mind, I've seen it... but I guess there is no problem with it, cause I'm not using it (because this world without people from my planet is boring), and it would be easier to evade reality, with less mind. If I get old enough.