What is a "real" problem+

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

What is a "real" problem+

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I think many problems, individuals can resolve on their own if they only try. What do you think?

PhilX
Blaggard

Re: What is a "real" problem+

Post by Blaggard »

American's not having a cheese they can call their own. It's depressing...

I am in a flippant but profound mood, I just don't think Americans have ever tried that hard to be part of Earth. And it's a problem.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Wait a minute...American cheese?...um?

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Invented by the Swiss.

And it's not cheese.
Breath

Post by Breath »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:I think many problems, individuals can resolve on their own if they only try. What do you think?

PhilX
Many "problems" are not really problems at all, they are just poor use of language.

With a bit of clear thinking, and subsequent clear formulation using clear language, the "problem" often evaporates.

Most stuff about religion falls into this category, ie. incoherent rantings.

So, I would agree with you.

Breath
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

The truth about Problems

People want to have problems. They create problems for themselves in their mind.
Why else would they complain on Facebook all day?

There are two kinds of problems, one caused by self, and one caused by others.

Caused by self Fake problems usually caused by egotistical delusions. "I can't do anything, I'm a failure." "What will I wear to prom?" "This person doesn't like me!" These are made up problems to satisfy boredom. Solution "Do something besides sit on TV all day." "Don't go to prom, its a waste of time." "Forget that person, their worthless anyway, let go of your love for them and the spell they have of you."

Other kinds of problems caused by others. Wars famine suffering etc. These are "real" problems to you, but they are actually created problems caused by egotistical delusions of others. "I am going to make animals suffer because my ego craves the taste." "I am going to make war because they don't follow this religion." "I am going to charge up the ass for this product and make everyone suffer because I want a new yacht." These are still made up problems, caused to alleviate boredom, but the suffering is still there.

What can we do? There's no such thing as free will, so are you really different and separate from anyone else? Just play your part, watch the movie unfold, hopefully it will all go well. Do your action, do your part, be the robot that purges the broken robots around you.
Mic84

Post by Mic84 »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:The truth about Problems

People want to have problems. They create problems for themselves in their mind.
Why else would they complain on Facebook all day?

There are two kinds of problems, one caused by self, and one caused by others.

Caused by self Fake problems usually caused by egotistical delusions. "I can't do anything, I'm a failure." "What will I wear to prom?" "This person doesn't like me!" These are made up problems to satisfy boredom. Solution "Do something besides sit on TV all day." "Don't go to prom, its a waste of time." "Forget that person, their worthless anyway, let go of your love for them and the spell they have of you."

Other kinds of problems caused by others. Wars famine suffering etc. These are "real" problems to you, but they are actually created problems caused by egotistical delusions of others. "I am going to make animals suffer because my ego craves the taste." "I am going to make war because they don't follow this religion." "I am going to charge up the ass for this product and make everyone suffer because I want a new yacht." These are still made up problems, caused to alleviate boredom, but the suffering is still there.

What can we do? There's no such thing as free will, so are you really different and separate from anyone else? Just play your part, watch the movie unfold, hopefully it will all go well. Do your action, do your part, be the robot that purges the broken robots around you.
Well said.
Seremonia

Post by Seremonia »

Practically, it's when you are facing trouble. Essentially, it's when you are aware of trouble.

What is a real problem?

Real problem is where you are aware of obstacle that should be tackled.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

A problem is only a problem if you think it's a problem.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Is starvation a problem? If so is thinking how to find food the same as thinking it away?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

A_Seagull wrote:A problem is only a problem if you think it's a problem.
Not if you are ignorant of the facts. Or stupid.
NielsBohr

Post by NielsBohr »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:I think many problems, individuals can resolve on their own if they only try. What do you think?

PhilX
Yes,

many problems are only a complicated translation of a solution.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Arising_uk wrote:Is starvation a problem? If so is thinking how to find food the same as thinking it away?
Yes, I imagine most people would think that starvation was a problem.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

NielsBohr wrote:many problems are only a complicated translation of a solution.
Indeed. One of the drawbacks of being an intelligent species is that we have the ability to find problems where no problem exists. We often look for complex solutions to simple problems where the real solution is hidden in plain sight.

"simplex sigillum veri"....the simple is the seal of the true.
NielsBohr

Post by NielsBohr »

Obvious Leo wrote:
NielsBohr wrote:many problems are only a complicated translation of a solution.
Indeed. One of the drawbacks of being an intelligent species is that we have the ability to find problems where no problem exists. We often look for complex solutions to simple problems where the real solution is hidden in plain sight.

"simplex sigillum veri"....the simple is the seal of the true.
Hm, very inserting Obvious Leo.

I asked one time on a french forum, what was information.

If information as such answered a prefixed problem - in which case there would no be much new information - of if there was the possibility to find new one.

The complicated translation of a solution states in logical circuits, when we simplify it to find the solution. But in physics - and I think I can here bounce on your post - there may be new information - what means new solution and before: new problems.

The ability to find problem where the is not a "prefixed problem" may be the ability to find new ways, new solutions. Sometimes much more radical (and efficient), were there included Einstein's relativity (which - for the topic - is real).

Sometimes, on a psychological point of view, the suspicion of a problem (as making nodes to our brain for apparent futilities) may be the symptom of a real incoherence in the data. I had hard difficulties in understanding trigonometry, and nowadays researches shows me that as it is practiced nowadays is barely constructed (Mathis excelles in such corrections).