Got Herpes?

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Got herpes?

Yes
67%
Not sure
33%

Total votes: 6

Jean

Got Herpes?

Post by Jean » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:53 am

Got herpes?

Depending where you live, the odds are from about one or two percent to ninety-nine percent that you do.

Herpes is quite an old disease. The Ancient Greeks were aware of herpes; Hippocrates wrote on the disease, etymologically it derives from the verb ερπυσμό, "to creep," as in "creep around the torso." The disease is also mentioned by Shakespeare in Romeo and Juliet, Queen Mab speaks,

"O'er ladies lips, who straight on kisses dream, which of the angry Mab with blisters plagues, because their breaths with sweetmeats tainted are.”

But herpes is not all historical romance. Herpes is forever. There are two simple forms of the disease, HSV-1 and HSV-2. The former is associated with the cold sores you will sometimes see on people's lips; the latter with similar water-blisters that occur where you are less likely to see them. Although much feared and regretted, these forms of herpes, along with herpes gladiatorum which is widespread in rugby players, are really not often more than embarrassing or inconvenient.

Herpes has much more sinister forms, Bell's palsy, neonatal herpes, and infection of the eye and nervous system. Results include paralysis, blindness and death.

It is only a recent phenomena that venereal disease ("Veneris is the Latin genitive form of the name Venus") has become the media packaged product S.T.D., and become the subject of systematic, institutionalized demonization.

ImageImage
ImageImage

The origin, format and function is similar to other campaigns that became possible at the turn-of-the-century with the invention of the science of propaganda; this method is now the norm for constructing social views on health-issues of every kind, from eugenics, drug-abuse, teen-pregnancy, T.B., AIDS, and obesity to selling Nutrasweet.

No doubt, gonorrhea, syphilis, hepatitis, warts, molluscum, mononucleosis, crabs, and herpes were never cause for celebration. But while social engineering through propaganda may have benevolent goals, the result for those who are the scapegoats for being a few pounds overweight or a few I.Q. points short of 100, or who may occasionally be chafed by herpes is devastating. The private testimony of those who are forced to play the demonized Jews of neo-fascist health-propaganda reveals a terrible anguish at living the labels stuck on them. For all the self-hate and animosity of others that wearing this sort of label brings, one might question if the aim of making the world a better place is met at all? --but also if the state-creation of a thousand sorts of unhealthy misfits isn't really meant to divide society, making nearly every-one an enemy of one another?

HSV-1 & 2

Do you have a simple, uncomplicated form of herpes?

Are you tired of being treated like a "leper?"

Are you tired of being labeled a public-health-risk? stereotyped as a danger to society?

There is something that you can do about it!

Do what thousands of other men and women just like you are doing--

Take up arms against an unjust system; one that arbitrarily names insiders and outsiders, one that creates enemies within, one that is playing cooties with your life and happiness--

Smash the system that has forced you, its own, into your position of resistance.

characterizing a terror tactic; institutionalization

Know your enemy. Understand the tactics the system is using to demonize you; making others suspicious and fearful of you and one another, and forcing you to conceal your real self, lest your supposed hideousness be revealed.

The system needs to define you. Strange sounding scientific-jargon and number codes are quite dehumanizing. A60.0. Zoster. HSV-1 or 2 and genital-herpes are slave names. Don't use them. Herpes is still έρπησ in modern Greek, it will do; we don't want to be known by a name with, in itself, antagonistic connotations.

not black and white

The most wicked things are those which are wicked themselves and wicked in their consequences. This is how herpes has been unfairly presented.

Nobody wants to get herpes. But the reality is that a lot of people have it; from those who say "what? those are just cold-sores that I get when I'm worn down," to the average reclusive carriers who pay to register on herpes-dating-sites or buy quack anti-viral drugs online, to those with severely complicated forms, who are seriously ill or die.

Nothing is ever black and white. Life just isn't simple and uncomplicated like the propagandist wants to present it; does she really love you? am I selling myself short in this relationship? am I worthy? what are the risks? the uncertainty? could someone get hurt? what if things don't work out in the end?

While the moral and legal consensus is that there is no need to inform one-night-stand-type partners of anything about one's private life, some relationships will hopefully have more potential and in these more loving relationships one would discuss the facts of their life and circumstance with more honesty.

A lot of people with herpes struggle with the question, should I tell my partner?

The law is somewhat clear and consistent on this. There have been few civil cases where a plaintiff has been awarded anysort of damages by a person with venereal disease who knowingly passed it. The exceptions are a few AIDS criminal cases which have been publicized for political reasons, but are at any rate of a totally different nature from the judicial concerns of the average Joe with an S.T.D.

You are not under any obligation to tell your partner about your medical history (assuming that you are qualified to), the courts' verdicts have by-in-large been, buyer beware.

Public health officials will advise you to inform your partners. But the online BBSs,

gotherpes.com
herpes-coldsores.com
youknowit.com
yahoo.com/Health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Herpes/Personals

are unanimous in informing readers that no one is obliged to disclose their private personal information to anyone else.

children

Children are often the targets of propaganda. Do not teach the game of "cooties" to children.

"The adoption of the term into English can be traced from the American occupation of the Philippines, in 1898-1945, and before that to British soldiers' presence in Malaysia. In most Austronesian languages (e.g. Malaysian and many Philippine languages such as Tagalog) the term for head lice, lice or fleas of any kind, is kuto."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooties

Cooties is not one of the proto-Germanic Kindergarten games; it goes back to the period of the British Office of Information and the Creel Commission. CIA intervention may be suspected. It was from this time that the stereotyping, labeling and scapegoating took on a much more pernicious form, real world people began to feel the effects of mass-terror-propaganda, and it is those with herpes and the people who love them that have to suffer the most.

AIDS

A little more should be said of words yet. S.T.D. and AIDS are words manufactured by the professional public-relations industry for consumption my mass society, like B-52 bombers and Lexus LF-As.

"AIDS
1982, acronym formed from acquired immune deficiency syndrome.
HIV
1986, acronym from "human immunodeficiency virus," name for either of the two viruses that cause AIDS."

"Until the 1990s, STDs were commonly known as venereal diseases...."

It was always the grass-roots tradition in word formation for venereal diseases to make a comic association, please see J. D. Rolleston's The Folk-lore of Venereal Disease (1942), where he discusses some of the etymological origins of slang terms for V.D..

'Covent Garden Ague', 'The Crinkums', 'Ladies' Fever' and 'the marbles', besides the better-known 'clap' and 'pox'.
http://www.pep-web.org/document.php?id=ijp.023.0179b

"clap - venereal disease - from Old French 'clapoir' meaning 'venereal bubo'. Often preceded by "a dose of the".

black widow

What folk-magic there was around venereal disease is still contained in the icon of the risky temptation, a woman who is most sexy, is dangerous and off-limits; the most delicious fruit --that will kill you in one bite.

To love her is sinful, and for our sins we must die.

dedicated
to
Victoria

amateurphilosophynerd

Post by amateurphilosophynerd » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:38 pm

I think people will find this an embarassing question to own up to if the answer is the affirmative. Might a rephrasing be in wonder:
Instead of 'Do you have herpes' (as if PN members are likely to own up to such a question)
Why not How do you think people should cope who have herpes (simplex)? or be even more specific; genital herpes, mouth herpes.
A difficult question where a highly sensitive approach would be needed if tackled philosophically.
:shock:

Jean

Post by Jean » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:55 pm

How can someone be a philosopher if he can't tell the truth.
Last edited by Jean on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

amateurphilosophynerd

Post by amateurphilosophynerd » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:48 pm

Jean
I am sorry to hear that. I hope that you get the right medication/treatment and it all gets put in the past.
As myself I would not answer such a leading question.
As for me Stigmatising and marginalizing people is one of the most cruel thing Society does.
( I would not wish to be in the way of infection BTW)
I feel your post is about stigma-the Herpes thing is a way to draw attention to stigmatizing which in itself is unjust.
Thats my two pence I hope you get it sorted and back into life again
best wishes
APN
Jean Male or Female?
Jean French Jean or Jean English Female Name?

Jean

Post by Jean » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:20 pm

amateurphilosophynerd wrote:Jean
I am sorry to hear that. I hope that you get the right medication/treatment and it all gets put in the past.
Herpes is forever. It comes a few times a year depending on stress, diet and so on. I don't take the drugs as it isn't much of a big deal except for the social stigma -- and long term relationships.

"Got Herpes?" is a pun on the ads: "Got milk?"

I feel your post is about stigma-the Herpes thing is a way to draw attention to stigmatizing which in itself is unjust.
Herpes is also a metaphor here.
Thats my two pence I hope you get it sorted and back into life again
best wishes
There are much worse fates than herpes.
Jean Male or Female?
Jean French Jean or Jean English Female Name?
Ambiguity is part of the beauty of philosophy and BBS. But I think you can figure it out.
Last edited by Jean on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

amateurphilosophynerd

Post by amateurphilosophynerd » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:28 pm

Amateur maybe thats the bit of me that wishes I was an Academic ,2.4 etc somewhere or other(or had abilities etc) that was not here, bar Promotions particular Promotion 2 which you and everyone here can never know about.
Philosophy Where its at with the other academic virtues.
Nerd sounded nice I wish I was brilliant with computer hardware and software like my brother but 'Nerd' appellation could apply elsewhere.
re Stigma.
I live in an uglified deformed distorted World where LIFE AND LIVING is what I am about EX NIHILO (out of NOTHING). The Landscapes where Dreams are forbidden where people are cast aside. My nightmare is worse than I could never imagine.
If I was to tell PN my story I fear I fear I fear. I know somewhere at what you are at merely with stigma and isolationism. I have a lifelong history of MISdiagnosis (mental health that is) and live in a place I don't wish to be. yet despite of it THERE IS LIFE, LOVE, FRIENDSHIPS, and SECRET INCLUSION INTO VERY PARTICULAR SECRET OTHER WORLDS.

amateurphilosophynerd

Post by amateurphilosophynerd » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:29 pm

Posts levels I just post! but I am trying to slow down and hang back as it seems to improve my post qaulity even if I have tonnes to learn about Philosophy per se as an amateur. :twisted: :!: :)

Jean

Post by Jean » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:19 am

APN,

That's right, this section of the forum ought to be full of mental health threads. Here is one of the longest running that involves real people if you care to have a peek, http://iloveopinions.com/index.php?topic=2109.0 .

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving
hysterical naked,
dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn...

-Allen Ginsberg, 1956
The Howl
Last edited by Jean on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

amateurphilosophynerd

Chin up babes I know it is hard

Post by amateurphilosophynerd » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:27 pm

Jean
you need all the Hope stuff as well I ought to be putting up
http://uk.youtube.com/user/supportedhousinggrad
Look at my Channel, be a friend if you like and join 'Adventure You Tube'
Look at Pat deegan videos.
A copy of Philosophy Now had one philosopher rightly complain about the side effects iatrogenic disease the curse of those so confined about, yet so complained about excluded etc (me thinks SOCIAL EXCLUSION AGGH0.
chin up babe, I dont wanna make any promises another name, another nice person and probably more I cant cope with-but HOPEFUL material is online as well. (in two local psychiatric hospitals day and full time the net is strangely forbidden!!). I have other stuff on my site which you will see.
Which is strangly concerned with HOPE including Richard dawkins and whole intellectual thing plus spirituality.
I have even had physical events HEALED by my LORD he will do same for you you only have to ask.
he took the shit the world throws at you and me and us as a whole.
Puts on uber intellectual hat.
Both sides are good Dawkins and other side.
God bless ya

amateurphilosophynerd

Post by amateurphilosophynerd » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:29 pm

praise God for my philosophy resources including PN I probably overdo it.

amateurphilosophynerd

Post by amateurphilosophynerd » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:29 pm

philosophy can be helpful too as well as what i put on my site.

amateurphilosophynerd

Jean watch this channel

Post by amateurphilosophynerd » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:28 am

http://uk.youtube.com/user/recoverypsychologist
Pat Deegan says that people see you not as a person-ontologically as a human BEING but as a disease or LABELLING which I got from my
Stigma and Deviance course 20 years ago. The MH Scene
is big on LABELS and SLOGANS less on humanity.

Jean

Post by Jean » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:04 am

This is bloody interesting to say the least. I'm not a genius and don't pretend to be, (if you ever see me posting something that looks clever, it is certainly sarcastic); its gonna take me a few minutes to google everything you mention and figure out just what you're getting at here. I'm not gonna join the youtube site at the moment as it is too difficult these days, though I may in the summer; I doubt I'll forget about you before then to say the least, your style is quite unique, and when you minus all the bots and multiple userIDs, there are not really that many people who identify themselves as e-philosophers.

Umm... I'm not crazy about Dawkins, I mean in the West I wouldn't really call atheists a stigmatized group, though I did like Chapter 9 of The God Delusion.

amateurphilosophynerd

Post by amateurphilosophynerd » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:52 pm

Jean
I am trying to learn philosophy as well as USE philosophy to answer questions that require answering in my circumstances in that sense.As philosophy and philosophizing is a dignified state I would rather ascend to that state.
The 'Philosopher' bit of APN is more a statement of dignity than fact.

amateurphilosophynerd

Post by amateurphilosophynerd » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:09 pm

Re:Dawkins I am just keeping tabs on whole Dawkins and Militant Atheist thing. I have nothing against Atheists but think the argument unbalanced that they wish to anniliate people of belief of any persuasion whatsoever. That is NOT to deny their complaints, questions etc.