Why Suffering is a Good Thing

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Re: Why Suffering is a Good Thing

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:56 pm
Wyman wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:47 am
WanderingLands wrote: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:23 pm I like your post, Felasco. You have definitely captured what I was saying, though yours was put differently than mine.

Now, it is correct that life is like a ball, where it is thrown (birth), it flies up (life), but it falls (old age), and then it hits the ground (death). It is true that life is like a ball; however, many people always want more from it. Many think they can get it from material pleassure; others try to become more healthier (even try to find eternal life), and more stronger.

I would also like to add that seeking things is a good thing, as a way to overcoming things (I see that Frederich Nietszche was mentioned on this thread), but it is also good to be content with where you are and to not get worked up over perfection. That way, you can be content with suffering, and which can thus be let go and just live life.
Oof. Have you read Dostoevsky? He literally claimed that the only route to happiness is through suffering.
That makes a huge amount of sense to me, but only if the suffering stops!
Sometimes it seems like suffering is a way of paying one's dues for happiness. But it's not the suffering that is the good part of it.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Suffering in all of its many forms is part of the human condition and so it is unavoidable
But experience of it can lead to wisdom and peace of mind so it is not without purpose
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

surreptitious57 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:54 am Suffering in all of its many forms is part of the human condition and so it is unavoidable
But experience of it can lead to wisdom and peace of mind so it is not without purpose
But could wisdom and peace of mind come without suffering? If so, then suffering would be unnecessary and unneeded.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:19 am
surreptitious57 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:54 am Suffering in all of its many forms is part of the human condition and so it is unavoidable
But could wisdom and peace of mind come without suffering? If so, then suffering would be unnecessary and unneeded.
I think suffering can illuminate some things... but I don't think it is some kind of sole methodology for acquiring wisdom and peace of mind. Bliss, too, illuminates a great deal. As do love and compassion and understanding and joy. Suffering seems to come into play when those other qualities are not available. So perhaps we can say anything can lead to wisdom and peace of mind; it depends on the person's individual openness and vibration -- as that determines what they will see and do with what they experience and feel.