Can philosophy cure depression ?

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

NielsBohr

Re: Can philosophy cure depression ?

Post by NielsBohr » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:31 pm

duszek wrote: Are there any persons from French literature that make you laugh ?
-Try this ! :arrow:
Vladimir: So, there you are again.
Estragon: Am I?
Vladimir: I'm glad to see you back. I thought you were gone for ever.
Estragon: Me too.

Samuel Beckett - Waiting for Godot.
-------------------------------
In french:
Vladimir: Alors, te revoilà, toi.
Estragon: Tu crois ?
Vladimir: Je suis content de te revoir. Je te croyais parti pour toujours.
Estragon: Moi aussi.

Samuel Beckett - En attendant Godot.

-If you wander to which proposition Estragon is saying "Me too", I think you'll begin laughing...

attofishpi

Post by attofishpi » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:55 pm

duszek wrote:Everything around me sucks.
I always find watching a little Big Bang Theory or whatever else in the way of a decent comedy gets my mind off the crap...

The below little snippet of Blackadder is 'around you' - if you don't get a giggle out of it get some medication.

blackadder ink and incapability
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOSYiT2iG08

duszek

Post by duszek » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:08 pm

Yes, I did get a giggle out of it, yes. Thank you.

But it´s not a permanent solution, it´s a pain-killer for a second or two.

I try to create small islands of pain-killing around me. I read a thriller to my American ex in the evenings and yesterday we laughed because Elvis P. was wearing a jump-suit on a poster in the book and Germans call a jump-suit an "Overall". So we laughed because in the German translation Elvis was kind of wearing a farmer´s outfit ...

:lol:

We are both non-native speakers of German and we learn it together in a relaxed way.

Does the name Gunnarstranda mean something specific in Norwegian, Voice of Time ? If you happen to read here.

attofishpi

Post by attofishpi » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:34 am

Getting back to the original thread title, and in consideration of the aftermath of Robin Williams I truly believe depression is something that cannot be reasoned 'away'. I believe depression is an imbalance within the brain that requires medication.
I have been in the lowest pit of hell thanks to our 'God' many times in the past and been very close to having a schizophrenia diagnosis, im sure there are plenty of atheist psychiatrists that would still label me so....but one thing that ALWAYS got me through was my sense of humour, which comes from a sense of self, a belief in who i was from my beginnings as a child and the path that the light (nb. panentheism) mapped two steps ahead.
One thing that i very rarely suffered was the black dog of depression....but i know that when you are feeling as such there is NO AMOUNT OF REASONING that will make it any better....ergo medication is required if it wont break its grip...logic is useless.

randallbenak

Post by randallbenak » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:30 am

I think it depends on why you're depressed. From what I understand, depression can be a physical problem (chemical imbalance), so while Objectivism will help you identify the root cause in this case, you won't be cured simply by "thinking correctly". On the other hand, bad philosophy can certainly lead to depression; good philosophy will equip you with the knowledge you need to lead a happy and fulfilled life.

sjeff70

Post by sjeff70 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:27 pm

Living poorly could be the reason for chemical imbalances.
We reap what we sow.

Blaggard

Post by Blaggard » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:20 am

sjeff70 wrote:Living poorly could be the reason for chemical imbalances.
We reap what we sow.
As can living well, we sow what we reap. if only it was that simple being sad would not exist.

No offense but I don't think depression can be formulated by such simple means. I think if you are depressed the means are more complex than living poorly, that seems to me to just be a cop out.