Can philosophy cure depression ?

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Agent Smith

Re: Can philosophy cure depression ?

Post by Agent Smith »

This question is vital to our understanding of dukkha (suffering) and we ought to meditate upon it in earnest and with zeal.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Whether or not philosophy can cure depression probably depends on the person as much as medicine does. Some people are wired a little differently than others and for the ones who aren't wired for it, no amount of sunshine blown up the ass will cure us.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:58 am no amount of sunshine blown up the ass will cure us.
:lol: That's true. Some people just get very sad very easily. Others are hard arseholes.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Phil8659 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:53 pm
duszek wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:38 pm Modern literature has become so ugly and disgusting that it can depress you even more.

I wonder if philosophical writings of a person full of life energy would not have a positive effect on one´s psyche.
Not someone like Sören K. or Nietzsche.
Perhaps a friendly teacher of philosophy ? His kindness will express itself through the way he explains.
Have you ever heard of the GI Joe program? GIGO, Garbage in, Garbage Out. In order for a mind to use Philosophy to escape depression, one has to realize that depression is not an illness but an signal that something is wrong with one's ability to think, to do the job of a mind. If you are simple minded, you chase your own tail imagining that this or that is the cause of depression, unable to see what is true, Today, this moment, is very little different than any other day.

Philosophy can only help you cure depression when you can control your own mind in order to figure out why you are really depressed, and it has little to do with objective reality.
Mind control, yes, that´s it. Especially fear and anxiety control.

If the state introduces mandatory vaccination will the police knock at my door, get in anyway if I don´t open, drag me down to a waiting ambulence with a sulky physician and ... And finally charge me with costs calculated so highly that I will have to apply for private insolvence ?

Is this a world I want to live in permanently ?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

duszek wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:38 pm Modern literature has become so ugly and disgusting that it can depress you even more.

I wonder if philosophical writings of a person full of life energy would not have a positive effect on one´s psyche.
Not someone like Sören K. or Nietzsche.
Perhaps a friendly teacher of philosophy ? His kindness will express itself through the way he explains.
First of all, I have to ask whether you are talking about sadness or clinical depression.

Sadness includes a depressed mood. Clinical depression involves that and so much more.

I must deduce that this thread is focused on sadness only, based on the ignorance about clinical depression expressed throughout.

But even with sadness, your mood is more likely to color your thoughts than the other way around. The reading of uplifting philosophies is more apt to be interpreted in a negative light unless the sadness is shallow or nearly ending on its own.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Yes, you are right. I was talking of sadness or melancholy.

What clinical depression feels like I can imagine though, because I feel like it while I am having a migraine. I know it will stop after 24 hours so I don´t do anything about it. The question that comes to my mind when having the migraine is: what´s the point of it all ? I could just as well log out for good. When the migraine is over I can hardly believe that it was me who felt that way. As if some chemistry was changed in my brain.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

duszek wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:06 pm Yes, you are right. I was talking of sadness or melancholy.

What clinical depression feels like I can imagine though, because I feel like it while I am having a migraine. I know it will stop after 24 hours so I don´t do anything about it. The question that comes to my mind when having the migraine is: what´s the point of it all ? I could just as well log out for good. When the migraine is over I can hardly believe that it was me who felt that way. As if some chemistry was changed in my brain.
Yes, migraines can be accompanied by clinical depression with such depressive symptoms as hopelessness, helplessness and even suicidal ideation. I hope you are able to enjoy good health between attacks and that you can find help in reducing the frequency of attacks.
Sebastien

Post by Sebastien »

Hi everyone! Hope this is the right place to post such a comment. Over the past few years, I have struggled with identifying which actions can be deemed better than others. This nihilistic/skeptic frame of mind, has left me with several problems when it comes to “taking a leap of faith” and deciding what it is that I want to do with my life. Whether you decided to become a gardener, painter, swimmer, I would love to hear about your story of commitment (and why it felt like the right decision). I appreciate any piece of advice, thank you.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Only love and companionship from other human beings can cure depression. Philosophy cures nothing.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Sebastien wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:38 am Hi everyone! Hope this is the right place to post such a comment. Over the past few years, I have struggled with identifying which actions can be deemed better than others. This nihilistic/skeptic frame of mind, has left me with several problems when it comes to “taking a leap of faith” and deciding what it is that I want to do with my life. Whether you decided to become a gardener, painter, swimmer, I would love to hear about your story of commitment (and why it felt like the right decision). I appreciate any piece of advice, thank you.
Hi Sebastien,

One of the methods that has seemed crucial for me has been to explore options of interest with an open mind for redirection. My commitment is to 'doing my best' with each exploration, which I think 'sends out' a message/vibration that I'm sincere about applying myself... and about receiving. Then I notice and explore the paths (forks in the road) that open up easily and perfectly from that, rather than being locked into my initial/particular fantasy/vision.

I've continually experienced/received the perfection and benefits of moving within a greater flow when I'm not insistent about a particular path or outcome. The results are even better than my imaginings when I get my 'self' out of the way... and ride that flow. And I have so much gratitude... which I think also 'sends out' a message/vibration that attracts more!

It seems to me that's it's not so much what we do with our lives, but rather how we feel, that creates/charts the path. It's a different way of seeing/approaching it... it's not a particular thing that MAKES us happy... it's our gratitude and openness that DRAWS perfect things to us.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:47 am Only love and companionship from other human beings can cure depression. Philosophy cures nothing.
Nah mate with words like that I see a part of the problem. Have you ever owned a dog?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:44 pm Nah mate with words like that I see a part of the problem. Have you ever owned a dog?
Mate, bestiality is morally questionable.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Skepdick wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:00 pm
attofishpi wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:44 pm Nah mate with words like that I see a part of the problem. Have you ever owned a dog?
Mate, bestiality is morally questionable.
..for whom? The dog or the human? :wink:
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:47 am Only love and companionship from other human beings can cure depression.
Gary, again... have you ever owned a dog? Did your parents bring a dog or stupider animals into your childhood existence?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:35 am
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:47 am Only love and companionship from other human beings can cure depression.
Gary, again... have you ever owned a dog? Did your parents bring a dog or stupider animals into your childhood existence?
Yes. We have had dogs as pets before. I didn't pay them a lot of attention, though.