the insufficiency of you

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: the insufficiency of you

Post by attofishpi »

Yeah, Jesus was a big influencer and he didn't even have the internet, or a megaphone for that matter.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:06 am Yeah, Jesus was a big influencer and he didn't even have the internet, or a megaphone for that matter.
Characters known as Jesus, or any other living sentient talking character, aka 'form' ...is the only instrument available for knowledge to be known, in other words form itself is the megaphone that life uses for communication with other forms. The conceptual mind can be likened to the internet known as the inner-net.

The meaning of pain influences it's experienced intensity. The meaning of the word ''pain'' influences the experience of pain.
Suffering is known as and through the sensation of pain. To be in pain is to suffer, and that suffering must be avoided in order to know the relief of pains absence, which is known as the good state of being.

One does not need a metaphysical entity outside of what is already known within one's own physical body experience...to know that pain is not good, and the absence of pain is good.

If pain was good, then none of us would ever need to seek for painkillers.
MagsJ

Post by MagsJ »

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:27 am If pain was good, then none of us would ever need to seek for painkillers.
I’ve never sought painkillers, that does not mean that pain is good.. it just means that I don’t want to take painkillers.

Your reasoning is off.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

MagsJ wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:38 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:27 am If pain was good, then none of us would ever need to seek for painkillers.
I’ve never sought painkillers, that does not mean that pain is good.. it just means that I don’t want to take painkillers.

Your reasoning is off.
Not really. Not in my reasoning anyway. It's quite logical to me that the experiencing of pain puts me in a not so good place. Morphine usually helps, but then I'm only speaking for myself.

People usually do not want what makes them feel good to come to an end. That's why people become intoxicated under the influence of religious idology. IMHO...doesn't mean you have to agree.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Pain isn't always good or always good to the degree we feel it (and it depends on the pain also). But it can be good or, for example, it likely would not have survived as a trait. And in fact people who can't feel pain (who have congenital analgesia) are in great danger.
It is common for people with the condition to die in childhood due to injuries or illnesses going unnoticed.[1][2] Burn injuries are among the more common injuries.[2]
And it continues to be dangerous as an adult, but adults can at least do physical inventories and get checked regularly to prevent some of the dangers.
Emotional pain can also be extermely useful. I am not stating a rule, but that it can be useful. We can learn how to get along better with other people, for example, given the motivations of pain.

It would be at least as incorrect to state simply and bluntly Pain is bad.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

If there was no pain then we would not have evolved beyond simple multicellular organisms.
Pain is therefore good.

By the time you are reaching for painkillers, pain has already done its job.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:02 am
If there was no pain then we would not have evolved beyond simple multicellular organisms.
Pain is therefore good.

By the time you are reaching for painkillers, pain has already done its job.
Life does not care whether sentient feeling creatures are in pain. And yes, pain is good for the continuation of living organisms.

It’s people who label whether pain is a good or bad part of life, because people are self aware, they have created two things, a thing that is aware and something to be aware of.

Awareness of pain is normally considered a pain in the arse, hence the discovery of painkillers.

Imagine going to the doctors complaining of some pain, only to be sent away and told to love your pain, your pain is good for you.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

I totally agree, in any case I find heroin works fine.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Good OP! $2 isn't suffcient to buy an Apple iPhone.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Advocate wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:32 am There are 8 billion people on the planet. How much influence could you have in a group of 8? How much could you stand out in a group of 80?
Why would you want to influence anyone? The idea is for each individual to go with the[ir] flow, not to allow another's [[reality] to contaminate theirs.

Legitimate questions have simple answers.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

simplicity wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:49 pm
Advocate wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:32 am There are 8 billion people on the planet. How much influence could you have in a group of 8? How much could you stand out in a group of 80?
Why would you want to influence anyone? The idea is for each individual to go with the[ir] flow, not to allow another's [[reality] to contaminate theirs.

Exactly. "Influence" according to whom? Why worry about influencing people you don't know or care about? Do you think anybody cares if they influence you?
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

LuckyR wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:57 pm
simplicity wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:49 pm

Exactly. "Influence" according to whom? Why worry about influencing people you don't know or care about? Do you think anybody cares if they influence you?
Institutions care a great deal about influence as this is the primary means used to separate individuals from their heard earned wealth.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Firstly, I think influence happens whether we are trying or not to influence others. Simply sharing a particular viewpoint/perspective may be one's only goal... to 'report back' to the whole... since we are naturally networked together as living beings.

This is, of course, a bit different than those who are specifically seeking to influence. I usually ignore such efforts as soon as I see what they're about.

Based on what I've been told, I can be influential, but I do not seek to set a path for anyone. I prefer to exchange inspiration and empowerment with people... by exploring our potential beyond limitations... and I like to have fun while we do it.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

simplicity wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:08 pm
LuckyR wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:57 pm
simplicity wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:49 pm Why would you want to influence anyone? The idea is for each individual to go with the[ir] flow, not to allow another's [[reality] to contaminate theirs.

Institutions care a great deal about influence as this is the primary means used to separate individuals from their heard earned wealth.
Well if you influence for a living, everyone gets that. But the OP isn't in that category.
MagsJ

Post by MagsJ »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:04 am
I totally agree, in any case I find heroin works fine.
I can’t tell whether you are joking or not.🤔