I dont fully understand how to apply the second step of the socratic method, PLEASE HELP!

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

slowthinker84

I dont fully understand how to apply the second step of the socratic method, PLEASE HELP!

Post by slowthinker84 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:14 pm

I have decided to use a Socratic method youtube video to find or discover my life's purpose however I just don't understand how to do the second step so I cant go any further with this until I do. Could you perhaps provide a different way of saying how to do step 2? is step 2 just asking you to form any question based on the definition or idea in step one? the video is located here, please view it or at least view where it explains the second step of the socratic method>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB4MYGInRl4

Harbal

Re: I dont fully understand how to apply the second step of the socratic method, PLEASE HELP!

Post by Harbal » Sat May 18, 2019 9:17 pm

slowthinker84 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:14 pm
I have decided to use a Socratic method youtube video to find or discover my life's purpose however I just don't understand how to do the second step so I cant go any further with this until I do. Could you perhaps provide a different way of saying how to do step 2? is step 2 just asking you to form any question based on the definition or idea in step one? the video is located here, please view it or at least view where it explains the second step of the socratic method>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB4MYGInRl4
I know the brief amount you've written in your post isn't a lot to go on, but it's enough to make me wonder if your life has any purpose. Maybe you should reassess it before you wrestle with step 2, lest doing so turns out to be unnecessary.

HexHammer

Re: I dont fully understand how to apply the second step of the socratic method, PLEASE HELP!

Post by HexHammer » Sun May 19, 2019 4:12 am

slowthinker84 wrote:
Could you perhaps provide a different way of saying how to do step 2? is step 2 just asking you to form any question based on the definition or idea in step one?
I think it's futile, we need more information about your life, your education, ambitions, experience etc etc.

You can't really apply logical reasoning to your situation, since it requires both experience and high intellect to do so, the Socratioan logical method only deals with rudimentary linear logic which most fails at using for something relevant.

Impenitent

Post by Impenitent » Sun May 19, 2019 11:09 pm

second step?

Socrates didn't even know the first step...

but neither did Sargent Shultz...

-Imp

slowthinker84

Post by slowthinker84 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:49 pm

HexHammer wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 4:12 am
slowthinker84 wrote:
Could you perhaps provide a different way of saying how to do step 2? is step 2 just asking you to form any question based on the definition or idea in step one?
I think it's futile, we need more information about your life, your education, ambitions, experience etc etc.

You can't really apply logical reasoning to your situation, since it requires both experience and high intellect to do so, the Socratioan logical method only deals with rudimentary linear logic which most fails at using for something relevant.
thankyou all for the fast responces. I dont mind giving you information about my life if it helps, ask away. If you need my answer for step 1, i dont mind sharing it here however it might not be apropriate for this forum and if it is, i could pm message you it on this forum.

Harbal

Post by Harbal » Mon May 20, 2019 8:02 pm

slowthinker84 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:49 pm
If you need my answer for step 1, i dont mind sharing it here however it might not be apropriate for this forum and if it is, i could pm message you it on this forum.
HexHammer thrives on helping folk with their personal issues, he has got a reputation for it here. This sort of thing is right up his street; I can't speak for him, but I feel sure he would be only too pleased for you to mail him all the details of your private life and your anxieties. Hex is the first one many of us here turn to in times of crisis.

HexHammer

Post by HexHammer » Mon May 20, 2019 9:28 pm

Harbal wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:02 pm
HexHammer thrives on helping folk with their personal issues, he has got a reputation for it here. This sort of thing is right up his street; I can't speak for him, but I feel sure he would be only too pleased for you to mail him all the details of your private life and your anxieties. Hex is the first one many of us here turn to in times of crisis.
Harbal is such a joker!

vegetariantaxidermy

Re:

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Tue May 21, 2019 2:35 am

:lol:

surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:46 pm

Harbal wrote:
HexHammer thrives on helping folk with their personal issues he has got a reputation for it here. This sort of thing is right up his street I
cant speak for him but I feel sure he would be only too pleased for you to mail him all the details of your private life and your anxieties
Hex is the first one many of us here turn to in times of crisis
Hex Hammer the resident agony uncle / armchair psychologist of Philosophy Now
He offers free impartial advice - no problem too big or too small - Hex is the man

FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants » Wed May 22, 2019 4:35 pm

Harbal wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:02 pm
slowthinker84 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:49 pm
If you need my answer for step 1, i dont mind sharing it here however it might not be apropriate for this forum and if it is, i could pm message you it on this forum.
Please take care to submit all requests in the appropriate format. Babble must always precede nonsense, otherwise submission will be rejected without consideration.

slowthinker84

Post by slowthinker84 » Fri May 24, 2019 7:33 pm

Hi, I don't understand what flashdangerpants by format. could someone explain what he means by format?

FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants » Sat May 25, 2019 2:01 pm

slowthinker84 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:33 pm
Hi, I don't understand what flashdangerpants by format. could someone explain what he means by format?
That was an inside joke, I wouldn't worry about it.

What the dude in your video is on about for that second step is a test for completeness. So you come up with an proposed definition of a thing in step one, then in step two you look for one way in which it isn't complete, and then in step three you revise the deinition. Then you have a new proposed def that may or may not yet be complete.

So if you want to decide the purpose of your life in the way Socrates would do the...
1. I like cheese, perhaps the purpose of life is cheddar.
2. Is a life of nothing but cheddar complete? What about Gruyere you heathen???
3. Good point, obviously the purpose of life is to have a good selection of cheeses.

I can't honestly recommend turning to philosophy in search of a purpose to existence.