Anhedonia

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4582
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: "I'm kicking and breathing till I can't"

Post by Dalek Prime » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:29 pm

Dubious wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:09 am
Dalek Prime wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:37 pm
Mind, when my time comes, I do want to 'go gently into that good night', Dylsn Thomas be damned.
So would most people, I imagine, but often it's not a matter of choice. I never could figure out the merit of Dylan Thomas’s most famous line of poetry. If nature offers an easy way out it would be stupid not to take it. If you haven't got a choice it's best to keep the lullabies flowing and not the screams.

There are exceptions but most poets, especially modern ones are among the dumbest people on the planet.
Two things I consider anathema to philosophy, Dub. Romanticism and anthropomorphism. They allow to much room for subjectivity, projecting what we wish to see, not what is.

User avatar
-1-
Posts: 1577
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 am

Re: Anhedonia

Post by -1- » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:22 am

Dalek Prime wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:25 pm
-1- wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:54 pm
I liked your poem, btw, -1-.
thanks. It was a projection, about ten years ago. I was what? about 55 when I wrote it.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4582
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Anhedonia

Post by Dalek Prime » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:02 pm

-1- wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:22 am
Dalek Prime wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:25 pm
-1- wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:54 pm
I liked your poem, btw, -1-.
thanks. It was a projection, about ten years ago. I was what? about 55 when I wrote it.
Perfect timing then. I'm just shy of 55. Do you still feel the same way you did ten years ago, when you wrote it?

User avatar
-1-
Posts: 1577
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 am

Re: Anhedonia

Post by -1- » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:45 pm

Dalek Prime wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:02 pm
-1- wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:22 am
Dalek Prime wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:25 pm


I liked your poem, btw, -1-.
thanks. It was a projection, about ten years ago. I was what? about 55 when I wrote it.
Perfect timing then. I'm just shy of 55. Do you still feel the same way you did ten years ago, when you wrote it?
I feel more relaxed, generally, more at peace. But much more bored as well. The stakes are gone. There is no future, so it's like watching a movie now -- beyond sheer entertainment value, there is nothing left to life. LUCKILY I am set financially -- not rich by any means, but can make ends meet and I am debt free -- and luckily I scored a girlfriend three years ago who loves me dearly. But the lack of future plans is something that has created a vacuum.

Funny thing is, life has become much easier, not just financially, but with getting along with people too. Just be nice to them, and they will be nice to me. That is a secret I learned much too late, and I learned it only through practice, because I moved from a busy, rude, obnoxious big city to a sweet, idyllic mid-sized town ten years ago.

My health is steadily declining, not too fast, but steadily. Luckily again, my country has free medicare, no matter what the problem is. Wait times can be long, but so far so good. I jumped the line when I was waiting for heart surgery -- stents implants -- because I got sick and was taken to emerge in a hospital where they did stents, and a guy or a person just died who had been scheduled that day, so they subbed me instead -- the next in line took too long to respond, hey, here's an excellent patient. That was lucky.

In fact, I had a pretty miserable life, considering my luck has been consistent and very high. I just always wanted more than what I had got.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4582
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Anhedonia

Post by Dalek Prime » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:54 pm

-1- wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:45 pm
I can almost see my life paralleled in yours, -1-. I'm glad you found a good companion. I'm sure it makes things easier, in a way. I hope I find one myself, eventually, but I'm getting difficult to live with. Or in my mind, anyway.

Are you in Canada as well, -1-? I only ask because you mentioned the health care system.

Anyway, I really appreciate you sharing your experiences (and experience) with me. It does help. Thank you.

User avatar
-1-
Posts: 1577
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 am

Re: Anhedonia

Post by -1- » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:13 pm

No sweat, DP. Or Dippie. :-)

You have to have a sense of humour when you are born onto this planet. And if you can't laugh at others, whom can you laugh at?

I am in SW Ontario... where is Canuckistan? If it's a suburb of Toronto, in the GTA, like Brampton, then run for your life. I would like to suggest Peterborough, Belville, Barrie, Kingston, London, Windsor, Hamilton, Brantford. Anything that has a university and a hospital. Except the GTA, of course. Even Sault Ste. Marie, and Sudbury, even Thunder Bay are better places to live than Toronto. Except when you are the member of a visible minority, of course. There is a lot of covert bigotry in smaller cities. It's a shame, and nobody talks about it, but it's there. Luckily it comes across only in social arrangements, no longer in career opportunities and in other official business. You can be still yelled at if you are gay, but you are no longer publicly beaten up for it. Racial discrimination is also dying off, luckily, although ever so slowly.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4582
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Anhedonia

Post by Dalek Prime » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:11 am

-1- wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:13 pm
No sweat, DP. Or Dippie. :-)

You have to have a sense of humour when you are born onto this planet. And if you can't laugh at others, whom can you laugh at?

I am in SW Ontario... where is Canuckistan? If it's a suburb of Toronto, in the GTA, like Brampton, then run for your life. I would like to suggest Peterborough, Belville, Barrie, Kingston, London, Windsor, Hamilton, Brantford. Anything that has a university and a hospital. Except the GTA, of course. Even Sault Ste. Marie, and Sudbury, even Thunder Bay are better places to live than Toronto. Except when you are the member of a visible minority, of course. There is a lot of covert bigotry in smaller cities. It's a shame, and nobody talks about it, but it's there. Luckily it comes across only in social arrangements, no longer in career opportunities and in other official business. You can be still yelled at if you are gay, but you are no longer publicly beaten up for it. Racial discrimination is also dying off, luckily, although ever so slowly.
*Redacted due to oversharing.*

Better or worse, I've spent much of my time in and around Toronto.
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 2599
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: Anhedonia

Post by Lacewing » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:05 am

Dalek Prime wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:54 pm
I think part of it is that I took in a youngish woman to help her out of a bad situation. It's coming up to a year now, and I pretty much find my privacy cramped. There is an end to this, hopefully, by next spring, but I'm finding it difficult to just be myself and relax, with her here, and am most anxiously awaiting when she flies the coup...
A year is a long time... and it's not fair that you have to hope and wait. She needs to do the right thing for you too. It was very kind of you to help her out, but your health and peace must be considered in this arrangement too.

What will be her incentive to move? You can't let her deal all the cards, ya know?

I've often thought of taking in a roomie, but it IS a big energy suck... especially for those of us who tend to be peaceful, quiet hermits. It's different if it's a romantic partner... 'cause there are many good reasons you WANT them there. But someone who is just in your space is a responsibility/impact of a different kind.

I hope you can figure out a way to reclaim your privacy without feeling any guilt about it. You've probably done more than enough already. Tough love is good for her -- it keeps her energy moving in life too. :)

Walker
Posts: 4855
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Anhedonia

Post by Walker » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:10 pm

She is a problem, for you. All problems are caused by self-cherishing. The truth will set you, and her, free. Tell her the truth, that it's you and not her.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4582
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Anhedonia

Post by Dalek Prime » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:59 pm

Walker wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:10 pm
She is a problem, for you. All problems are caused by self-cherishing. The truth will set you, and her, free. Tell her the truth, that it's you and not her.
Both of us have issues living with others. And I've told her that many a time, and I've already accepted that responsibility, explicitly. I'm quite honest with myself. As for all problems being caused by 'self-cherishing', if you're referring to preferences, and the frustrations of them being undermined, I can somewhat get behind that, Walker. I can also accept that I won't get my way in many matters. Most of us can't.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4582
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Anhedonia

Post by Dalek Prime » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:05 pm

Lacewing wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:05 am
Dalek Prime wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:54 pm
I think part of it is that I took in a youngish woman to help her out of a bad situation. It's coming up to a year now, and I pretty much find my privacy cramped. There is an end to this, hopefully, by next spring, but I'm finding it difficult to just be myself and relax, with her here, and am most anxiously awaiting when she flies the coup...
A year is a long time... and it's not fair that you have to hope and wait. She needs to do the right thing for you too. It was very kind of you to help her out, but your health and peace must be considered in this arrangement too.

What will be her incentive to move? You can't let her deal all the cards, ya know?

I've often thought of taking in a roomie, but it IS a big energy suck... especially for those of us who tend to be peaceful, quiet hermits. It's different if it's a romantic partner... 'cause there are many good reasons you WANT them there. But someone who is just in your space is a responsibility/impact of a different kind.

I hope you can figure out a way to reclaim your privacy without feeling any guilt about it. You've probably done more than enough already. Tough love is good for her -- it keeps her energy moving in life too. :)
Thanks Lace. Yeah, she is beginning to realize the end is nigh. She's not keen on it, but seems more accepting of the inevitability of it.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest