foreign aid

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bobevenson

Re: foreign aid

Post by bobevenson »

I'm talking about the freedom to be left alone without government interference. People who look to the government for guidance in their lives have hit rock bottom, and I'm talking about lower than whale shit, which is at the bottom of the ocean. The problem is that these people aren't satisfied with the government running their own lives, they insist on the government running mine, too.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

bobevenson wrote:I'm talking about the freedom to be left alone without government interference. ...

You talk as if the Government were the only thing that ever interfered with people who wanted to be left alone to get on with their lives.
Have you ever seen "The Seven Samurai" ? ...

... The problem is that these people aren't satisfied with the government running their own lives ...

... or its Hollywood version "The Magnificent Seven"?

... they insist on the government running mine, too.
You make it sound as if you have no freedom to make any running decisions in your life, Bob! Where are you—an asylum?
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

mickthinks wrote:
bobevenson wrote:I'm talking about the freedom to be left alone without government interference. ...

You talk as if the Government were the only thing that ever interfered with people who wanted to be left alone to get on with their lives.
Have you ever seen "The Seven Samurai" ? ...

... The problem is that these people aren't satisfied with the government running their own lives ...

... or its Hollywood version "The Magnificent Seven"?

... they insist on the government running mine, too.
You make it sound as if you have no freedom to make any running decisions in your life, Bob! Where are you—an asylum?
Augsburg, is that Germany? Because if it is, I can understand your inability to understand that government is one of our most dangerous institutions. The only proper function of government is to keep people from interfering with me, not to keep me from interfering with myself.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

bobevenson wrote: The only proper function of government is to keep people from interfering with me, not to keep me from interfering with myself.

This is true, but there is a lot of room for intrepretation, and abuse. I should be alowed to build a deck onto my house without Gov. interference, and as long as I am the only one useing it, if it falls down it's my problem. The difficulty comes in when the Gov. says that the deck has to be built strong enough that others can safely go onto it. Or you have the case of two idiots that use a lawn mower to trim a hedge and loose their fingers, and then sue the mfg. because the instructions didn't say not to use it to trim a hedge. The unfortunate truth is that the stupidity of one person often spills over and effects others in ways we can't always anticipate.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

thedoc wrote:
bobevenson wrote: The only proper function of government is to keep people from interfering with me, not to keep me from interfering with myself.

This is true, but there is a lot of room for intrepretation, and abuse. I should be alowed to build a deck onto my house without Gov. interference, and as long as I am the only one useing it, if it falls down it's my problem. The difficulty comes in when the Gov. says that the deck has to be built strong enough that others can safely go onto it. Or you have the case of two idiots that use a lawn mower to trim a hedge and loose their fingers, and then sue the mfg. because the instructions didn't say not to use it to trim a hedge. The unfortunate truth is that the stupidity of one person often spills over and effects others in ways we can't always anticipate.
None of this has anything to do with the government telling me when and where I can buy a beer.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

bobevenson wrote: None of this has anything to do with the government telling me when and where I can buy a beer.

The point is that there are those who will try to make the case that you buying beer, will put someone else at risk and seek to control the sale of that beer. Years ago some of my friends were excited when we drove out to Ohio and they could buy 3.2 beer at age 18, at home they had to be 21. This is the government telling us, who can buy beer, and they also tell us where we can buy it.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

bobevenson wrote:The only proper function of government is to keep people from interfering with me, not to keep me from interfering with myself.
So, you are okay with government limiting other people's freedom, but not yours. The utopian ideal of the true megalomniac!

Yes, Augsburg is indeed in Germany! Is "Bob" a shortening of the name "Robert"? Because if that is the case it is no wonder you are a pea-brained narcissist.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

thedoc wrote:
bobevenson wrote: None of this has anything to do with the government telling me when and where I can buy a beer.

The point is that there are those who will try to make the case that you buying beer, will put someone else at risk and seek to control the sale of that beer. Years ago some of my friends were excited when we drove out to Ohio and they could buy 3.2 beer at age 18, at home they had to be 21. This is the government telling us, who can buy beer, and they also tell us where we can buy it.
And laws like this identify an oppressive government.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

mickthinks wrote:
bobevenson wrote:The only proper function of government is to keep people from interfering with me, not to keep me from interfering with myself.
So, you are okay with government limiting other people's freedom, but not yours. The utopian ideal of the true megalomniac!

Yes, Augsburg is indeed in Germany! Is "Bob" a shortening of the name "Robert"? Because if that is the case it is no wonder you are a pea-brained narcissist.
Well, being from Augsburg, Germany explains why you have no problem with fascism.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

bobevenson wrote:Well, being from Augsburg, Germany explains why you have no problem with fascism.
And there you see, boys and girls, why most of us have Bob on "Ignore".

If you want the forum software to blank his posts for you automatically, just go to his profile page (there's a handy button at the bottom of each of his posts) and underneath his name on the left hand side, click on [Add foe]. You won't miss a thing :-)
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

mickthinks wrote:
bobevenson wrote:Well, being from Augsburg, Germany explains why you have no problem with fascism.
And there you see, boys and girls, why most of us have Bob on "Ignore".

If you want the forum software to blank his posts for you automatically, just go to his profile page (there's a handy button at the bottom of each of his posts) and underneath his name on the left hand side, click on [Add foe]. You won't miss a thing :-)
Ignoring me only concentrates your incoming drivel.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

bobevenson wrote: And laws like this identify an oppressive government.

I have No argument with this, It is possible that I am not expressing myself clearly enough.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

thedoc wrote:We should cut all foreign aid and spend the money here in the US fixing our own problems. If a foreign country isn't going to 'Kiss our ass' the hell with them, let them starve in the dark, and don't buy anything from them, or at least don't pay them for what we take.
Foreign Aid has always existed for the benefit of the donor more than the benefit of the recipient.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

thedoc wrote:
reasonvemotion wrote:I think Doc's post is purely inflamatory to get a reaction, not his view at all.

To a point, when foreign nations are clearly opposed to US ideals we should not support them.
Such as whom?
The US has blocked democracy all over the world in the last 60 years.
Last edited by chaz wyman on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

chaz wyman wrote: Foreign Aid has always existed for the benefit of the donor more than the benefit of the recipient.
So giving money or materials to another country, and getting nothing in return, somehow benefits the country giving it away, more than the country receiving it, even when the citizens of the receiving country condem the giver, and call for it's distruction?