Major American Politicians Like to Wear American Flag Pins

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bobevenson

Major American Politicians Like to Wear American Flag Pins

Post by bobevenson »

I have absolutely no respect for these politicians since the first thing that comes to mind is, "Who the fuck are you trying to kid!"
capone

Re: Major American Politicians Like to Wear American Flag Pi

Post by capone »

Would you mind elaborating on that?
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Flag pins are just a bunch of bullshit, like the wearer is trying to tell people he's more patriotic than the guy not wearing one. Of course, patriotism itself is one of the biggest scams on Earth, right up there with education and religion.
capone

Post by capone »

Well, don't know about why are they wearing it, especially in their own country, but since I take part in some conferences outside my country, I like wearing flag pin of my country. Reason? I guess showing that you are proud of your country and who you are, or simply that you love your country.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

People wearing flag pins at international conferences can have uses. If you see someone wearing a German pin you know to tell your best Nazi joke, if they're wearing an Israeli pin you know to mention your last donation to Hezbollah, if they're wearing an America one, mention God doesn't exist to confuse them then get to the buffet table before them and all the food is gone.
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

I have a USA flag pin, left my sister in law when she moved back to the States. I think she may have bought it in Scotland, rather than before she came across here.

It was July 4th a few years ago when I last visited her and many houses were getting flags put outside their houses, I think by the Boy Scouts, for the celebrations.

Do you feel the same way about use of the flag as you do flag pins? By politicians only or ordinary people or both?
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

Flags, aye. Never been a fan of flags myself, don't see how the symbols help anybody. It's people that matter, not symbols, symbols trap people and are traitorously used, they bear no truth, only a supported mean to conceal truth.
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

The Voice of Time wrote:Flags, aye. Never been a fan of flags myself, don't see how the symbols help anybody. It's people that matter, not symbols, symbols trap people and are traitorously used, they bear no truth, only a supported mean to conceal truth.
Yes, if you can see the truth, rather than just be caught up in the smoke and mirrors of rallying round a flag or any other symbol.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Lynn wrote:I have a USA flag pin, left my sister in law when she moved back to the States. I think she may have bought it in Scotland, rather than before she came across here.

It was July 4th a few years ago when I last visited her and many houses were getting flags put outside their houses, I think by the Boy Scouts, for the celebrations.

Do you feel the same way about use of the flag as you do flag pins? By politicians only or ordinary people or both?
What I object to is politicians wearing flag pins as a ploy to get votes. There's nothing wrong with other people wearing them. As far as flags go, they are symbols that people wrap around themselves, becoming part of the institutional grid of religious, cultural and social values that provides the pathway of evil in every society.
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

bobevenson wrote:
Lynn wrote:I have a USA flag pin, left my sister in law when she moved back to the States. I think she may have bought it in Scotland, rather than before she came across here.

What I object to is politicians wearing flag pins as a ploy to get votes. There's nothing wrong with other people wearing them. As far as flags go, they are symbols that people wrap around themselves, becoming part of the institutional grid of religious, cultural and social values that provides the pathway of evil in every society.
Thanks Bob. I agree that using flag pins as a ploy to get votes is objectionable too :) .
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

i wonder if flag pins will become obsolete one day?
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

but not only flag pins and things related to america
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

statues may crumble around the world and may never be re-erected one day? you never know. i don't know.
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

The sociologists and anthropologists not to mention the archaeologists would very much like for the preservation of the excessive use of symbols of our age and those before us, at least in such a way as they can be re-interpreted in the future in the light of similar phenomena, which is prevalent in that moment in the future.

You won't see any Taliban-like bombing of Buddha statues anytime soon, most of us hold symbols sacred if not for their "use" then at least for what they can tell us of humans.

On the question of the removal of symbols however I'm rather interested if "art" in its broad sense may see a narrowing within a couple of hundred years as to become even more utilitarian than it is today, that it becomes more pre-fixed, pre-determined, and not so random and not so much an expression of creativity.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

back to the dark ages and next enlightenment...

semiotics can be fun...

-Imp