Black People and Crime

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Kayla

Re: Black People and Crime

Post by Kayla »

sorry where is this music that glorifies crime

there is lots of music with bad words in it but that is not the same thing except in the minds of the really stupid

but i think music that glorifies crime is as much of an urban myth as murders caused by playing dungeons and dragons
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Years ago, before desegregation, blacks had regular names like Tom, Dick and Harry. Now they have African names. Years ago, before desegregation, blacks celebrated regular holidays like Christmas and New Year's. Now they celebrate Kwanzaa. Years after legal segregation was abolished, blacks decided to voluntarily segregate themselves.
ForgedinHell

Post by ForgedinHell »

bobevenson wrote:Years ago, before desegregation, blacks had regular names like Tom, Dick and Harry. Now they have African names. Years ago, before desegregation, blacks celebrated regular holidays like Christmas and New Year's. Now they celebrate Kwanzaa. Years after legal segregation was abolished, blacks decided to voluntarily segregate themselves.
Tom, Dick and Harry don't seem like "regular" names to me, but different ways of referring to the male sex organ. You blame blacks for having cooler names than white people? I guess Obama became President because blacks were so interested in setting themselves apart from the white folk?

Get a clue, black people are every bit as good as white people. And, don't forget that there are black soldiers risking their lives just so you can slander them on the net. That makes you scum.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

as far as i can tell black people have normal names and generally do not act in any significant way different from white people

now the black people who are fairly well off are much more likely than the whites to have not been well off as kids so they are less likely to be dicks about being wealthy and to go on about how they made their money themselves and so should anyone else instead of getting handouts from the government

also i have never heard of a black congregation doing anything to make a white visitor feel unwelcome - if anything the opposite is true - i go with my boyfriend to his church sometimes and i am like the only white person there and everyone is like super cool

but unfortunately even today many white congregations want to keep themselves white
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Kayla wrote:sorry where is this music that glorifies crime

there is lots of music with bad words in it but that is not the same thing except in the minds of the really stupid

but i think music that glorifies crime is as much of an urban myth as murders caused by playing dungeons and dragons
Thats a bit naive isn't it. Pretty much all the slack-gangstar stuff has glorified criminal activities and denigrates women. I'm watching it over here with much of our yoof finkin themselves as 'gangstars' and acting out such behaviour. Now its true that they, given their circumstances, are actually in gangsterland but the music they hear reinforces their beliefs that what they are doing is acceptable. Its been a fair while since I've heard reggie sell any conscious lyrics but maybe, given my, age I'm out of touch.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

Arising_uk wrote:

Thats a bit naive isn't it. Pretty much all the slack-gangstar stuff has glorified criminal activities and denigrates women. I'm watching it over here with much of our yoof finkin themselves as 'gangstars' and acting out such behaviour. Now its true that they, given their circumstances, are actually in gangsterland but the music they hear reinforces their beliefs that what they are doing is acceptable. Its been a fair while since I've heard reggie sell any conscious lyrics but maybe, given my, age I'm out of touch.
maybe i have been listening to the wrong music

i will check with the cool kids
Foramen Magnum

Post by Foramen Magnum »

Took about two seconds to think of one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggpKpwCx3BQ

Another from the great martyr:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEPgA4ZQf0U

White people, too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7DDTd_ZZIk

I think your comment is either naive or disingenuous.
Last edited by Foramen Magnum on Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

Atthet wrote:Worse, her comment is outright stupid, irresponsible, and even dangerous. Kayla is the type of person who should be barred or censored from participation on a philosophy website. Somebody that irresponsible for what they say, is not only dangerous to herself, but to general society. Completely irresponsible opinions like hers should be stifled out of the mainstream, silenced.
belief that censorship is a good idea is stupid irresponsible and dangerous

anyone advocated censorship should be silenced
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

Foramen Magnum wrote:
I think your comment is either naive or disingenuous.
this music glorifies crime in roughly the same way that grand theft auto (the game) glorifies killing people with flamethrowers
Atthet

Post by Atthet »

Kayla wrote:belief that censorship is a good idea is stupid irresponsible and dangerous

anyone advocated censorship should be silenced
Stupidity should not be a protected right, and only Americans have the Freedom to Speak. Are you an American? No, then you do not have the right to voice your opinion.
Foramen Magnum

Post by Foramen Magnum »

Kayla wrote:this music glorifies crime in roughly the same way that grand theft auto (the game) glorifies killing people with flamethrowers
Music has a way of getting wrapped up in identity. Games, at least in my experience, don't. These songs generate a narrative; people listen, and adopt the narrative as their own. The danger is that the narrative is in many way theatrical because that image sells.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

Foramen Magnum wrote:Music has a way of getting wrapped up in identity. Games, at least in my experience, don't. These songs generate a narrative; people listen, and adopt the narrative as their own. The danger is that the narrative is in many way theatrical because that image sells.
ok i know a lot of people who listen to this stuff - its not really my thing but a lot of people do listen to it

i never thought of it as gloryfying anything

but anyway your local high school crack dealer is as likely to listen to it as the valedictorian

heck some of the younger teachers listen to this stuff

i find it hard to see how it links with any particular actions or outlook on life

given that old people music like elvis was once accused of promoting immorality its very difficult to take any claims of 'omg this music promotes immorality' seriously
Foramen Magnum

Post by Foramen Magnum »

Kayla wrote:ok i know a lot of people who listen to this stuff - its not really my thing but a lot of people do listen to it

i never thought of it as gloryfying anything

but anyway your local high school crack dealer is as likely to listen to it as the valedictorian

heck some of the younger teachers listen to this stuff

i find it hard to see how it links with any particular actions or outlook on life

given that old people music like elvis was once accused of promoting immorality its very difficult to take any claims of 'omg this music promotes immorality' seriously
The whole discussion earlier was about (thug) culture, and music's influence on that culture. In ways, the music reflects the reality of some kids more than others. There's a distance between the casual listener and that reality.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

ForgedinHell wrote:
bobevenson wrote:Years ago, before desegregation, blacks had regular names like Tom, Dick and Harry. Now they have African names. Years ago, before desegregation, blacks celebrated regular holidays like Christmas and New Year's. Now they celebrate Kwanzaa. Years after legal segregation was abolished, blacks decided to voluntarily segregate themselves.
Tom, Dick and Harry don't seem like "regular" names to me, but different ways of referring to the male sex organ. You blame blacks for having cooler names than white people? I guess Obama became President because blacks were so interested in setting themselves apart from the white folk?

Get a clue, black people are every bit as good as white people. And, don't forget that there are black soldiers risking their lives just so you can slander them on the net. That makes you scum.
My point stands. Black people now segregate themselves. They don't want to integrate. That's why in Congress, you have the Black Caucus.
ForgedinHell

Post by ForgedinHell »

bobevenson wrote:
ForgedinHell wrote:

My point stands. Black people now segregate themselves. They don't want to integrate. That's why in Congress, you have the Black Caucus.
Your point doesn't stand. It does prove my point, however. Most anti-semites are also racist scum. You are an example that proves the rule.