Decline of the West???

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: Decline of the West???

Post by Skepdick »

Wizard22 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:53 am
Skepdick wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:22 amAccept it. Adapt. Move on 🤷‍♂️

The people with purpose evacuate and relocate but they don't vanish. Just follow them.
Since there are no more Earthly frontiers...it seems more and more unlikely that one can escape Globalist and International tyranny.

Eventually the free-thinkers, rebels, revolutionaries are going to need to organize and resist. Without this, there is no freedom for mankind in the future.
Never met anybody who can tell me how to free mankind from the tyranny of entropy.

I am all for Globalism. And then Solar systemism. And then Galaxyism. And then universalism.

The libertarian types have no idea what's going on.
libertarians.jpg
libertarians.jpg (55.98 KiB) Viewed 320 times
Last edited by Skepdick on Wed May 31, 2023 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

promethean75 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:10 pm by 'directional narratives' i would surmise that F.D. Pants means something like this.

if you critique economy and point out all the foibles and shortcomings of the free market, you're a lazy communist satanic jew feminist pleb that wants everything for free... and if you champion liberal ideas and freedom of enterprise etc., you're a selfish egotistic misanthropistic wage slave driver that doesn't want anyone to get an abortion or stop carrying guns or learning creationism in school or driving electric cars.

you see that whatever side you're on, you're pushing a historical narrative that condemns the forces-that-be or some period over history that was disasterous in ways x and y and therefore very bad.... not something we'd want to be condemned to repeat, etc.

so anytime somebody says 'learn from history', nine times out of ten they're fixin to point out all the shit they think is bad about period x and y and what they think is responsible for it. enter the narrative.
I think we owe it to ourselves to better than "my personal life isn't so great, therefore western civilization is in decline". There are clearly historical symptoms of civilization decline, such as the rampant "all of a sudden" appearance of LGTBBQ+ Marxists everywhere teaching kindergartners how to twerk in g-strings.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:30 pmGrandWizard is a nazi
I thought we cleared this up already, peabrained little moshe?

My grandfather was responsible for destroying the Nazis and liberating your dilapidated grandfather before he was turned into an ashtray. Got it? There are no more "Nazis". Your tribe's obsession with Nazis, is that they'll magically come back, out of thin air. This is your fear and delusion talking. It's why you're so scared, of being lectured and criticized, which are long, long overdue. Your little tricks don't work on anybody with above-average IQ. So save it for twitter, or facebook, or whatever social media you're plaguing these days.

I'd like some gratitude from you.

And, don't worry, I'm not racist. I won't let you speak for the rest of your tribe. I know there are lots of good Jews in the world. But you are not one of them, not by a long shot. So quit making your brethren look bad, mkay?
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

iambiguous wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:43 pmWell, go ahead, ask them.
Yet you didn't answer the question... are we in decline? Stagnation? On the rise?
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

promethean75 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:54 pmHey Maia the decline of any civilization is due primarily to property and privilege disproportion. Unhappy people in that society... usually the vast bulk of em, get restless and unruly becuz the masters ain't making life better for any of em.

Sorry to demystify the collapse of empires but that's all it is. Believe me, I wish I could say every empire begins as a people of nobility, virtue and spectacularness and then the lowly plebs ruin it's glory so on and so on becuz of culture miscegenation and all that shit. It's really much more painfully simpler than that and super unexciting.
Hey...whadayaknow...I actually agree on this point.

It might be as simple as class-mobility between the poor and rich. Can you say more?
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Maia wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:14 amNot so much the disproportion itself, but the willingness of the population to put up with it. The Pax Romana of the first century brought a staggering increase in prosperity to the whole Mediterranean world, and even the lowest in society benefitted from it. But it didn't last.
And examine Rome's Golden Age...after multiple war victories which uplifted all its classes.

Same with America.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:13 amIt may or may not entail it, but it's happening. We have more poor, the superwealthy are getting wealthier and the middle class is getting smaller.
I think that part is predicated on some assumptions that don't bear up under scrutiny. The zero sum thing being primary.
I'm looking at trends in my home country (US) and the European country I live in. In both the poor are getting poorer and the middle class is getting smaller. Here privatization of national industries and the slow gutting of welfare and other services to children, the poor, immigrants, the sick and elderly, and increases in homelesses and so on. I see media companies being swallowed up in fewer and few corporations'. And while I can't track exactly what this will lead to I think it is a bad trend. Investigative reporting has gone down, partly due to competition from the internet's affect on traditional media, but in general, regardless of source, a dumbing down and entertainmentififcation of news. I also see worse and worse indenpendence of government oversight from the industries they are supposed to oversee. Generally these trends have being going on for decades. And they are putting a lot of power in the hands of the superwealthy. A couple of years back I read an interesting book on the changes in the way the judicial system, in the US, views the wealthy. I think we all know that rich people have the ability to get vastly better representation and this affects how they are treated in court rooms. But this book was going into changes in the way the judicial system view wealthy powerful people, per se, regardless of representation. They are viewed as 1) more vulnerable if sent to prison. You're a hedge fund manager, the judges have been more leniant for the same crimes because it would be worse for you than a plumber to find yourself in prison. They don't openly compare to the working class say, but they have started to openly call attention to the contrast argument. 2) people get off because their roles are important on a class basid 3) courts treat rich people's mitigating circumstances radically different from other classes (and also politicians with pardons do this). Equal under the law has been shifting in a bad direction.

I see how here Thatcher/Reagan attitudes are changing a much more egalitarian and supportive society to something with much larger class differences and the start of homeless for mentally healthy people and inability to get timely and effective health care.

These trends concern me very much. And, again, I see countertrends. I think it is getting harder for information to stay secret. On the other hand it is easier to marginalize information, at least in tradition media. Hard to say how that struggle will go.

The East India company is not relevant. I am not saying the world is worse than in 1750 or something. But in my lifetime I have seen shifts that make it harder for people economically in general, whereas up until my early years there was a general upward trend in general.

I am very concerned about four tech areas: surveillance, AI, nanotech and gene mod and already being used without much supervision by goverment and also the possibilities these offer centralized power, whether private or governmental. I think we are seeing a re-concentration of power in the few. We had a long countertrend in the West where power was distrbuted to more people. I see this trend going the other way now.

There's a kind of 'it'll all work out we've had technological shifts before, so any future or current technological shift will hurt some people here and help others there, so the trend will generally be upward.' I think that's a form of faith. I think current technologies offer undreamed up power to powerful private and governmental groups. The Stasi would have been peeing themselves with joy over current self- and government surveillance options now. Yes, tech can also empower regular people, but with things like combining AI and smart cities, I don't think the average person's power somehow counter power player increases in power.

I also see not the slightest bit of harm in being concerned about these things.

But I don't know what will happen. I just see a lot of things to be concerned about.

Does some of this relate to mass technological unemployment caused by bots of some sort?
Good points, I notice much of the same.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:44 pmI hate to be mean, but it's normal to think the world was better and more hopeful at the time in your life when you felt most vigorous and hopeful (or when you were still unspoiled and naive, before the cynicism took hold). It's the same with GrandWizard22 literally telling us that food tasted better in the 90s than it does today, you already know which decade he had his 18th birthday in just from that sentence. He's dumb enough that you could reasonably guess he took up smoking in the late 90s and that's why he thinks food got worse.
:roll:

You're going to have to do better than this if you want to fight magical space Nazis, my small hat friend. Start rubbing those brain cells together, get that motor running!
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Skepdick wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:57 amNever met anybody who can tell me how to free mankind from the tyranny of entropy.

I am all for Globalism. And then Solar systemism. And then Galaxyism. And then universalism.

libertarians.jpg
lol, Libertarians are nobody's Savior.

I do believe humanity is going to need to expand our space borders and make some new frontiers before we get many more "Golden Ages" though.

History shows that people are more than willing to fight over scraps for Centuries, than to expand beyond their borders.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Wizard22 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:18 am
Skepdick wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:57 amNever met anybody who can tell me how to free mankind from the tyranny of entropy.

libertarians.jpg
lol, Libertarians are nobody's Savior.
Yeah...Not even their own.
Wizard22 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:18 am I do believe humanity is going to need to expand our space borders and make some new frontiers before we get many more "Golden Ages" though.

History shows that people are more than willing to fight over scraps for Centuries, than to expand beyond their borders.
Somehow, I don't think real estate is our constrained resource.

There's a reason people flock together and leave a lot of space unused.
Last edited by Skepdick on Wed May 31, 2023 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Skepdick wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:27 amSomehow, I don't think real estate is our constrained resource.
What I mean, it's about real estate where you're "allowed" to have Free Speech and defend yourself with gun Rights.

Globalists don't want the peasants having guns anywhere on Earth. And they're going to great lengths now to make sure to disarm anybody who can possibly resist them. Once unarmed, you either Obey and kiss dirt, or you'll have their State-endorsed thugs, antifa, terrorists at your doorstep who are untouchable from the Law.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Wizard22 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:29 am
Skepdick wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:27 amSomehow, I don't think real estate is our constrained resource.
What I mean, it's about real estate where you're "allowed" to have Free Speech and defend yourself with gun Rights.

Globalists don't want the peasants having guns anywhere on Earth. And they're going to great lengths now to make sure to disarm anybody who can possibly resist them. Once unarmed, you either Obey and kiss dirt, or you'll have their State-endorsed thugs, antifa, terrorists at your doorstep who are untouchable from the Law.
And I agree with them 100% - the idiots who use guns to undermine social progress shoudn't have guns.

Personally I'd use my guns to wage war on idiots who use guns to undermine social goals and hold progress hostage. Because that's called terrorism.

The fact is that nature in general poses a far greater threat to humans than other humans do. So you are over-indexing on this self-defence with guns thing.

Self-defence with medicine, science and living in a civilised society where we meet individual needs collectively saves far more lives.

That's freedom to me. Freedom from disease. Freedom from violence. Freedom from idiot libertarians.
Last edited by Skepdick on Wed May 31, 2023 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Wizard22 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:29 am

While I don't *always* disagree with *everything* that you say, Ur-wrong, I very strongly oppose this. Mass gun ownership leads to mass death. There's a good reason why murder rates in the USA are so much higher than the UK, even though ours are nothing to boast about any more. I for one would think twice about ever visiting America for this reason alone, though I've been to Canada three times and really liked it.

The Pax Romana, incidentally, included a strict ban on civilians carrying swords.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Maia wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:42 am Mass gun ownership leads to mass death.
Historically speaking - that's not true.

There was a time in history before guns.
And a time in hustory with lots of guns.

If I had to choose which period in history to live in (based on this one correlation) - I am going with the guns.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Maia wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:42 am The Pax Romana, incidentally, included a strict ban on civilians carrying swords.
And the Barbarians took good advantage of that.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Last edited by Skepdick on Wed May 31, 2023 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.