Trump Derangement Syndrome

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Immanuel Can

Re: Trump Derangement Syndrome

Post by Immanuel Can »

commonsense wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:21 am ...the same explanation applies to DTS)
And "DTS" is...what? "Donald Trump Syndrome"? So you want to argue that the only reason anybody votes for Trump is that they are led to love him by the major mass media...that hates him? :shock:

You're going to have to explain that reasoning to me.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:06 am
commonsense wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:21 am ...the same explanation applies to DTS)
And "DTS" is...what? "Donald Trump Syndrome"? So you want to argue that the only reason anybody votes for Trump is that they are led to love him by the major mass media...that hates him? :shock:

DTS. Deranged Trump Syndrome

What the MAGAs suffer from.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Mass Media is not believed by the MAGAs.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

commonsense wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:13 am

There is no such thing as "a MAGA," so far as I can tell. It's a riffing off Trump's slogan by the Dems., though the media parrots that meme, too, so I'm not surprised to see you reproduce it here.

No, your explanation really doesn't work. It's quite plausible to think the mass media gins up hatred against Trump, sure. It's not possible to think that it, at the very same time and by pretending to hate him, is working on getting people to like him. That's nonsensical.

Nor is it reasonable to suppose that people vote Trump because they "don't like the media." That might make some sense if media reform were on the Republicans' ticket, and catering to big tech at the expense of ordinary folks was on the Democrat ticket; but it would have to be pretty extreme and obvious on both sides. I don't see that as being the case.

If you mean that the reason people vote Trump is because when they don't watch media they aren't fooled into voting Democrat, I would say that's possible, but it's not the explanation that flatters the Democrats, for sure. And if they don't watch the media, then there's nothing manipulating their feelings...and they aren't "deranged," at all: they're more likely thinking normally, since they aren't media-indoctrinated. I don't really think you want either of those explanations.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:07 pm
tillingborn wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:57 pm...nowhere in this thread have I said anything about my political opinion of Clinton, Trump or Biden...
Reallly? Really? :shock:
Yes. Reallly. Really. You have no evidence to the contrary. When mickthinks said:
mickthinks wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:27 pmI judge that nowhere in this thread has tillingborn said anything about their political opinion of Clinton, Trump or Biden.
Your response was:
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:45 pmAh, so you're buying that his invoking of Stormy Daniels, or Jan. 6th, or Trump's talk, or the 25 allegations, are just incidental, because he said so?
You clearly cannot distinguish between personal and political. That should surprise nobody because once again you demonstrate that you cannot distinguish between accusation and guilt. The "25 allegations" against Trump, like the allegations against Clinton and Biden are just allegations. If you believe that I judge Trump's politics by his personal behaviour, you have no reason to think I judge Clinton or Biden differently. It is just your feeling. As you say:
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:26 pmFeelings are treacherous. Sometimes they point to something true...but often, they just point to imaginary crocodiles.
What sort of idiot, knowing there is a trap, walks straight into it?
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:02 amThere is no such thing as "a MAGA," so far as I can tell.
That might be because by your own admission, you are not well informed:
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:36 amYou get American news. I don't.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

tillingborn wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:05 am ...you have no reason to think I judge Clinton or Biden differently.
Really? I think I do.

Why is it, then, that your antipathy is reserved for Trump, who is not even for the incumbent, who is clearly both less competent (and very plausibly far more corrupt, given the laptop, though doubtless you will say you won't judge until after the trial that's never going to be allowed to happen) and not for the incumbent or others? Why do you enumerate accusations against him, but none against the alternates? What's so special about Trump, for you?

P.S. -- And in that connection, I asked you how choose whom to vote for. Your response was evasive: that you don't vote as an American.

But that's not a stopper. I rephrase the question: on what basis do your vote for particular candidates in your own country?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:02 am
commonsense wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:13 am

There is no such thing as "a MAGA," so far as I can tell. It's a riffing off Trump's slogan by the Dems., though the media parrots that meme, too, so I'm not surprised to see you reproduce it here.

No, your explanation really doesn't work. It's quite plausible to think the mass media gins up hatred against Trump, sure. It's not possible to think that it, at the very same time and by pretending to hate him, is working on getting people to like him. That's nonsensical.

Nor is it reasonable to suppose that people vote Trump because they "don't like the media." That might make some sense if media reform were on the Republicans' ticket, and catering to big tech at the expense of ordinary folks was on the Democrat ticket; but it would have to be pretty extreme and obvious on both sides. I don't see that as being the case.

If you mean that the reason people vote Trump is because when they don't watch media they aren't fooled into voting Democrat, I would say that's possible, but it's not the explanation that flatters the Democrats, for sure. And if they don't watch the media, then there's nothing manipulating their feelings...and they aren't "deranged," at all: they're more likely thinking normally, since they aren't media-indoctrinated. I don't really think you want either of those explanations.
MAGAs only watch Fox.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

commonsense wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:46 pm MAGAs only watch Fox.
That's what you guess? :shock:

Or did you have a demographic study from which you gleaned that "a MAGA" (whatever that is) doesn't use the internet, or watch CNN, or foreign news services, or Democrat speeches and press releases, or ever even pay attention to popular culture of any kind?

I'm kind of thinking that's not likely...we do live in a media-dominated age, and that's as true for people in the outback (if that's what a MAGA is) as it is for people in the cities.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:40 pm
tillingborn wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:05 am ...you have no reason to think I judge Clinton or Biden differently.
Really? I think I do.

Why is it, then, that your antipathy is reserved for Trump
What antipathy? You cannot show any examples antipathy towards Donald Trump from me, because there are none; they only exist in your head. You are wrong and as someone who professes a deep Christian faith, you should be concerned about the sin of bearing false witness.
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:40 pmI asked you how choose whom to vote for. Your response was evasive: that you don't vote as an American.

But that's not a stopper. I rephrase the question: on what basis do your vote for particular candidates in your own country?
I have already told you:
tillingborn wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:46 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:38 amHow do you decide whom to vote for?
Policy.
Does that surprise you? Is there some den of iniquity you inhabit where the worth of a politician is judged by the accusations of sexual misconduct against them?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:55 pm

Or did you have a demographic study from which you gleaned that "a MAGA" (whatever that is) doesn't use the internet, or watch CNN, or foreign news services, or Democrat speeches and press releases, or ever even pay attention to popular culture of any kind?

I'm kind of thinking that's not likely...we do live in a media-dominated age, and that's as true for people in the outback (if that's what a MAGA is) as it is for people in the cities.
A MAGA, by his very makeup, watches Fox and discounts all other news sources, no matter how credible or venerated, as propaganda (actually, a 4-syllable word is too elite for a MAGA, so it gets 2 monosyllabic words instead).
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

tillingborn wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:07 pm You cannot show any examples antipathy towards Donald Trump from me, because there are none
Hmmm...I think I just did.
Again: Why is it, then, that your antipathy is reserved for Trump, who is not even for the incumbent, who is clearly both less competent (and very plausibly far more corrupt, given the laptop, though doubtless you will say you won't judge until after the trial that's never going to be allowed to happen) and not for the incumbent or others? Why do you enumerate accusations against him, but none against the alternates? What's so special about Trump, for you?
It's still a very good question, but one I doubt you'll answer.
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:40 pmI asked you how choose whom to vote for. Your response was evasive: that you don't vote as an American.

I have already told you:...policy.
Nope. Not buying it. You couldn't name a single policy that you were using to judge Trump, apparently. Or can you now?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

commonsense wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:34 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:55 pm

A MAGA, by his very makeup, watches Fox and discounts all other news sources,
Really? This "MAGA" of yours hasn't discovered the internet? He doesn't get Netflix or CNN, or CNBC, or foreign news services? He can't Google? He never goes to a movie, or is in public education, or listens to Democrats' speeches, or podcasts, or radio?

But they do all watch FOX, somehow? :shock:

Where do you find these miracles of isolation?
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:04 pm
tillingborn wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:07 pm You cannot show any examples antipathy towards Donald Trump from me, because there are none
Hmmm...I think I just did.
Again: Why is it, then, that your antipathy is reserved for Trump, who is not even for the incumbent, who is clearly both less competent (and very plausibly far more corrupt, given the laptop, though doubtless you will say you won't judge until after the trial that's never going to be allowed to happen) and not for the incumbent or others? Why do you enumerate accusations against him, but none against the alternates? What's so special about Trump, for you?
Where is the antipathy?