The cracks in Capitalism are showing

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: The cracks in Capitalism are showing

Post by Walker »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:18 pm
Walker wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:24 pm Those are the ways in which it is attacked by the likes of Brandon and company.

It's funny. Folks do their best to corrupt capitalism, then blame capitalism.

Talk about blaming the victim.
Your stupidity never fails to amaze
Who's the cute little ankle nipper? You are, that's who!

:lol:
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Walker wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:53 am
Sculptor wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:18 pm
Walker wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:24 pm Those are the ways in which it is attacked by the likes of Brandon and company.

It's funny. Folks do their best to corrupt capitalism, then blame capitalism.

Talk about blaming the victim.
Your stupidity never fails to amaze
Who's the cute little ankle nipper? You are, that's who!

:lol:
QED.
Please refer to the comment I made above
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

promethean75 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:51 pm

so while it might seem obscene that there is such a disparity of wealth in the world, we wouldn't waste too much time tryna call capitalism on a moral or ethical foul cuz we'd be here all week and then some.
It isn't just a moral issue. People can be reasonably content with relatively little when they see that everyone else is in the same boat. But if you are just about making ends meet, which is the situation a lot of people find themselves in, and constantly reading about how many millions pay rise such and such company director has been awarded, it becomes increasingly difficult to be satisfied with your lot. The more dissatisfied you are, the more likely you are to go on strike, cause disruption in organised protests, or even resort to crime to get back at the system. It's bad for society.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Yeah, I'm no fan of capitalism either but this nonsense of driftin' leftward... 🤣

I suggest Free Enterprise for what vexes you.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Faggetaboutit, Henry. REAL free enterprise lasted for about forty-five minutes back in 1700 something, and then [some people] who didn't have any land or resources hadta start selling their labor to the guys that did. That was the end of free enterprise. And it ain't never comin' back, Henry.

{edited by iMod}
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

promethean75 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:23 pm Faggetaboutit, Henry. REAL free enterprise lasted for about forty-five minutes back in 1700 something, and then [some people] who didn't have any land or resources hadta start selling their labor to the guys that did. That was the end of free enterprise. And it ain't never comin' back, Henry.
Manure, Karl. Free Enterprise is all around you operatin' in the rather substantial cracks of the current managed economies.

I'm an example of it as I contract and transact.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Until all men are free, no men are free, Henry. You just think about that.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

promethean75 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:01 pm Until all men are free, no men are free, Henry. You just think about that.
All men are free, Karl. Ain't a leash or shackle on anyone they didn't agree to wear (out of fear or anxiety or ignorance).
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Thank you Jean Paul Sartre.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

That's the second time in as many days I get accused of echoin' some philo-type. B, asked me if I were bonin' up on Heidegger (never read him) and you imply I'm parrotin' Sartre (never read him).
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

yeah it's workin with that Sartrean idea of radical freedom... that one is fully responsible for what one chooses and even under the worst restrictions, one can still choose to resist. and because there is no essence in the platonic sense of what 'human' is, our existence precedes our nature. meaning we are constantly under a barrage of choices and that our decisions can radically change what we are. further, if at any moment we tell ourselves we 'must' be a certain thing/way, we are submitting to bad faith, and denying responsibility for what we are in that moment.  

'course this rather bizarre idea won't make much sense unless you know what's going on in his ontology... what with the whole being-for-itself and in-itself thing with the husserlean eidetic reduction of intentionality in pre-reflective cartesian consciousness. he's basically runnin another fancy ghost in the machine game more or less. phenomenology is some of the most obscure philosophy there is, anyway. try to stay clear of it.

Glory to the French resistance!

Over and out.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

yeah it's workin with that Sartrean idea of radical freedom... that one is fully responsible for what one chooses and even under the worst restrictions, one can still choose to resist.
If that's what he said, then I agree with him.

and because there is no essence in the platonic sense of what 'human' is, our existence precedes our nature. meaning we are constantly under a barrage of choices and that our decisions can radically change what we are.
If that's what he said, then I disagree with him.

further, if at any moment we tell ourselves we 'must' be a certain thing/way, we are submitting to bad faith, and denying responsibility for what we are in that moment.
I don't know what that means but it doesn't sound right.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:53 pm That's the second time in as many days I get accused of echoin' some philo-type. B, asked me if I were bonin' up on Heidegger (never read him) and you imply I'm parrotin' Sartre (never read him).
I think accused might be the wrong verb. I don't see those as negative reactions to you.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:52 pm
henry quirk wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:53 pm That's the second time in as many days I get accused of echoin' some philo-type. B, asked me if I were bonin' up on Heidegger (never read him) and you imply I'm parrotin' Sartre (never read him).
I think accused might be the wrong verb. I don't see those as negative reactions to you.
It does not seem to me I was bein' complimented. I believe B & pro were sayin' I was derivative.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

and the proletarian plumbers are smirking...

-Imp