Roe v Wade Overturned?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Immanuel Can

Re: Roe v Wade Overturned?

Post by Immanuel Can »

commonsense wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:42 pm I thought that anyone who approves of only some restrictions would disapprove of the overturn because it permits total bans. I now see the error of my ways.
There's no basis to think that. It might well be that people who fully approve of abortion are quite content that different states should be allowed to deal with the issue as they see fit. Somebody who, for example, values state jurisdictional autonomy would be quite pleased.

So it would take a dedicated, separate study to determine that. But when it did, it would still have shown nothing relevant; for moral rightness or wrongness are not matters of popular vote.

If they were, the Cultural Revolution would have been "right" for China, and the Shoah would have been "right" in Germany, no matter what anybody else thought.
Skepdick

Re: Abortion Overturned?

Post by Skepdick »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:39 pm
Skepdick wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:43 pm
Walker wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:31 pm Less convenience results in increased mindfulness, and increased mindfulness results in an accurate perspective regarding cause and effect. As a result, the hassle of getting an abortion will likely cause fewer pregnancies.
Your perspective on cause and effect is so skewed you think drinking water isn't supposed to cause dysentery.

Maybe we should start shitting in the water supply to recalibrate your perspective?
This made me laugh really hard. Thank you.
Well, at least somebody got the joke! Unfortunately it wasn't Walker, but it's progress.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:00 pm
Well, at least somebody got the joke! Unfortunately it wasn't Walker, but it's progress.
What do you think about the fact that girls can get pregnant at the age of 10 if she is having periods?

I personally find it a bizarre twist of nature that God should condemn abortion as murder of a precious life, and yet at the same time, create a being that can be seen as a child, who is capable of having a child...like children having children.

Should 10 year old girls be mothers, dictated by the laws of nature itself? ..even though humans would see it as a sexual offence to have sex with an underage girl.

Confusing isn't it?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:58 am
What do you think about the fact that girls can get pregnant at the age of 10 if she is having periods?

I personally find it a bizarre twist of nature that God should condemn abortion as murder of a precious life, and yet at the same time, create a being that can be seen as a child, who is capable of having a child...like children having children.

Should 10 year old girls be mothers, dictated by the laws of nature itself? ..even though humans would see it as a sexual offence to have sex with an underage girl.

Confusing isn't it?
What I find most perplexing is that the same people who view any and all gun laws as a "violation of constitutional rights protected by the 2nd amendment!" don't view abortion laws as a violation of constitutional rights protected by the 9th amendment.

Compartmentalized minds shout the loudest.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:00 pm

Confusing isn't it?
What I find most perplexing is that the same people who view any and all gun laws as a "violation of constitutional rights protected by the 2nd amendment!" don't view abortion laws as a violation of constitutional rights protected by the 9th amendment.

Yes I agree...that's why I had to break loose from the idiocracy that is 99% of human intelligence. Such double standard backward thinking, it's mind-bogglingly absurd. It's an embarrassment to be even associated with such human hypocrisy.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:15 pm
Skepdick wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:00 pm

Confusing isn't it?

Yes I agree...that's why I had to break loose from the idiocracy that is 99% of human intelligence. Such double standard backward thinking, it's mind-bogglingly absurd. It's an embarrassment to be even associated with such human hypocrisy.
But not as humourous, entertaining, and at the risk of a slew of graphics, not as stimulating as dealing with unarmed, pig-headed stupidity.

- In countries that do not have abortion, or if the government forbids children of a particular sex to a family, the child could be killed after it leaves the womb.

- If some man from a dirty-ankle lost tribe of S. America not yet discovered, with no contact with modern man, impregnates the children of the tribe on a condoned basis, such goings-on are likely survival oriented because of short life-spans, coupled with extended families to care for the infants and toddlers.

- If some modern family is washing the ankles but literally screwing the kids and impregnating them, a phenomenon of machocentric cultures (did someone mention the open border policy of the US) from which the example of the 10-year old was lifted, because it’s not survival-oriented then what you have on your hands is a bunch of them-there preverts, and as Ann Coulter asserts in her Book Adiois America, which was the bones for Trump’s campaign message that got him elected*, it very well could be cultural.

* Which is likely the reason why Brandon and company are stomping all over it, and the message, and the reason behind the message ...
Walker

Post by Walker »

From the societal view of hard-line pro-lifers, I’ve heard the following argument:

Enough screw-ups like a 10-year old getting pregnant, and in some fantasy world, some theoretical world of philosophy … in this fantasy world of the mind where abortion-access does not exist ... then in that world, the nonsense of child-abuse against a 10-year old will soon stop, one way or another. If not, the society bears the burden of the corruption. As for the individual? Tragic.

Tragic is why it soon stops, and doesn’t much happen again. Can't keep having a bunch of tragic individuals who would likely be raised as sisters to the mother, or cousins to the mother, or maybe grandma would become the official mother, or something to that effect of muting the shame of a society that allows such child abuse that can no longer be smoothed over by abortion, but in fact is a burden on the whole society.

From what I've heard, abortion isn't all that tragic for society. Not all that much shame to hide when you have women shouting their abortion, as they say. Thus, abortion abounds.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Fact: Females can get pregnant as young as 10 years old.

God decided to get nasty about it and make innocent children suffer for generations by calling 10 year old children who abort their babies ( a murderer)

Fact: Nature is a serial killer...not 10 year old girls.

Reality Check: Consciousness, the ability to be aware you are aware, is the horror of Consciousness.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

To terminate the existence of a viable human foetus is not a nice thing to do, and I doubt that many take the decision lightly.

However, to compel a woman to carry on with an unwanted pregnancy to its natural conclusion, when the means to put an and to it efficiently are readily available, is a worse thing to do.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

194 Republicans voted against the Access to Contraceptives Bill.

It's almost as if it's not about abortions.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

religiously conservative pro-lifers who are against contraceptives aren't that bad bro. at least none of them are living in poverty stricken working class squalor with fifty kids because of what they believe.

oh wait a minute
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:59 pm 194 Republicans voted against the Access to Contraceptives Bill.

Are you suggesting that Roe doesn’t apply to abortion? Are you saying that it’s really about contraception? Are you saying that 194 Congressional Republicans voted against the measure because it was too permissive or because it was too restrictive? Are you making a point about partisanship or about bipartisanship?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

commonsense wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:57 pm Are you suggesting that Roe doesn’t apply to abortion? Are you saying that it’s really about contraception? Are you saying that 194 Congressional Republicans voted against the measure because it was too permissive or because it was too restrictive? Are you making a point about partisanship or about bipartisanship?
What I am saying is that the usual narrative around abortion is a narrative advocating for personal responsibility.

Accept the consequences of your choices - don't punish the baby because you couldn't keep your legs closed. etc. etc. etc.

The admonishment of abortion is because it's an posteriori intervention after a bad choice. Fine!
If you don't want women to abort babies - then empower women to avoiding unwanted pregnancy at all cost!

But then they vote against contraceptives too - they want to remove women's ability to prevent unwanted pregnancies a priori; as well as terminate unwanted pregnancies a posteriori.

They want to disempower women from having reproductive control over their bodies.

The only reproductive control Republicans approve of is "Keep your legs closed! Whore!"
Last edited by Skepdick on Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

The overturn of Roe V Wade was about demographics. The demographics are changing quickly indicating the end of white privilege as soon whites will not be the majority population. All the neo-Nazis, KKK, and rightwing Christians are threatened which means they are full of hate and insecurity which means they are violent. THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN!!! Time for some good old southern Baptist lynchings!! But be careful, your out numbered Bubba!!
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

commonsense wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:57 pm
Skepdick wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:59 pm 194 Republicans voted against the Access to Contraceptives Bill.

Are you suggesting that Roe doesn’t apply to abortion? Are you saying that it’s really about contraception? Are you saying that 194 Congressional Republicans voted against the measure because it was too permissive or because it was too restrictive? Are you making a point about partisanship or about bipartisanship?
Roe v Wade was about unenumerated rights in the US Constitution. All the stuff that hadn't been written down specifically, but were generally expected anyway. The right a private sphere of action in which you don't need to worry about government interference was one of them, and that was interpreted maximally in RvW for the purposes of decisions made by you and your doctor.

The recent ruling discards all of that private scope for action, and sticks the state's beak right up in your business. But it was sold to you as an anti-abortion thing and Americans are so deep in their culture war bullshit that they don't seem to realise how universally they just got fucked.

If you have no private zone of choice when in consultation with the doctor who just removed his hand from your insides, what on Earth would make you think you have one with a pharmacist, an insurer or much of anybody else? If the right you are intereseted in enforcing isn't specifically written down in the constitution, it has already been deprecated. All that remains now is to see how blatantly partisan the imposition of this new order is going to get. And then of course to see how severe the reaction will be.

But Roe applies to kind of everything, or rather tha underlying rationale of it did, and that's what you guys just lost. So now you have to actively enumerate all the rights you want, including contraception.