Roe v Wade Overturned?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Re: Roe v Wade Overturned?

Post by commonsense »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:00 pm
commonsense wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:57 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:25 pm
Your source for this claim, please?
Your post above.
No, there is no statistic there saying that 70% of Americans are against the R v. W. decision.

(Interesting, too, that you quickly changed the wording of your claim...I noticed that.)

What is the source of YOUR statistic there? Or do you not have one, and just made the whole thing up?
Perhaps I’ve misunderstood what the 70% approve and disapprove of. Perhaps you could clarify for me.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

commonsense wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:05 pm
commonsense wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:57 pm

Your post above.
No, there is no statistic there saying that 70% of Americans are against the R v. W. decision.

(Interesting, too, that you quickly changed the wording of your claim...I noticed that.)

What is the source of YOUR statistic there? Or do you not have one, and just made the whole thing up?
Perhaps I’ve misunderstood what the 70% approve and disapprove of. Perhaps you could clarify for me.
I just want your source.

It seems a simple request....if you have one... :?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:14 pm
Sculptor wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:07 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:27 pm
Well, now you're on territory where I won't follow you. And I think a lot of people won't. The Ten Commandments contain the core morals not only of Christianity and Judaism, but also of Western civilization; and few people feel as confident as you that they would like to dispense with them in this manner.

Have a nice life.
The ten commandments contain mostly protection for the priestly class that invented them.
Really? That's what you suppose?
Imagine you've only got ten rules for society. Would you really waste your first four on god?
It's like the dolt who, when given three wished asked with his first for a chicken dinner, with his second a bottle of wine, then his wife calls him an idiot and to make the third meaningful.
Why don't you read them and come back and tell me where children, women, minorities, slaves and other peons are mentioned or protected.
Until then stay under your rock.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:19 pm
The ten commandments contain mostly protection for the priestly class that invented them.
Imagine you've only got ten rules for society. Would you really waste your first four on god?
That's precisely the point. It's getting mankind nothing that any person selfishly wants.

Why would anybody want to do that?

Unless "they" didn't do it at all... :shock:
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

It's like the dolt who, when given three wished asked with his first for a chicken dinner, with his second a bottle of wine, then his wife calls him an idiot and to make the third meaningful.
Why don't you read them and come back and tell me where children, women, minorities, slaves and other peons are mentioned or protected.
I suppose wishing to praise God is not like wishing for dinner and wine. Dinner and wine are very temporary fulfillments lasting only minutes but securing one's self spiritually would be the ultimate wish, supposedly lasting an eternity. There may be nothing more "meaningful" than that.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

The stakes are pretty fuckin high Gary I'll give you that. What pisses me off is that I would be expected to make such a decision without first having been consulted and aksed if I'd like to make such a decision.

Perhaps I would have preferred nothingness if I knew what was going to be involved and the tremendous pressure I'd be under.

I'm rather offended that I should exist at all, Gary.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:22 pm
That's precisely the point. It's getting mankind nothing that any person selfishly wants.

Why would anybody want to do that?

Unless "they" didn't do it at all... :shock:
You are just making a fool of yourself
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

promethean75 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:10 pm The stakes are pretty fuckin high Gary I'll give you that. What pisses me off is that I would be expected to make such a decision without first having been consulted and aksed if I'd like to make such a decision.

Perhaps I would have preferred nothingness if I knew what was going to be involved and the tremendous pressure I'd be under.

I'm rather offended that I should exist at all, Gary.
Sounds familiar.

C.S. Lewis on his days when he was an Atheist:

“I was at this time living, like so many Atheists or Antitheists, in a whirl of contradictions. I maintained that God did not exist. I was also very angry with God for not existing. I was equally angry with Him for creating a world.”

-- C. S. Lewis
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Jesus this guy IC is like a frickin shahk. Fritz wuddint kiddin.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:13 pm

I just want your source.

I vaguely remember seeing a graphic on CNN, but it was your reference to 70% who are in favor of some restrictions that struck me.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

commonsense wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:43 am

I just want your source.

I vaguely remember seeing a graphic on CNN, but it was your reference to 70% who are in favor of some restrictions that struck me.
Well, there's this: https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/20 ... oe-v-wade/

Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Of course, a majority can also be wrong about something. It wouldn't be the first time.

Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

commonsense wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:43 am

I just want your source.

So you extrapolated that 70%, miraculously the same number, oppose R v. W. being overturned? But you didn't have any reason to think it was true?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:27 am Of course, a majority can also be wrong about something. It wouldn't be the first time.
Yes, but in this case, it woudn't be material.

This isn't about the popularity or lack thereof of abortion. The Supreme Court's decision is only about jurisdiction. In theory, all states in the Union could legislate free abortions and infanticides for everyone. The fact that probably won't happen, whether one likes that fact or not, has nothing to do with this decision. It contains no ruling about abortion per se; only about jurisdiction.

Now, clearly, the public lacks the information to know what is constitutionally legal and what is not. They are not legal experts, or even lawyers. That is why jurisdictional determinations are made by the highest legal experts, the Supreme Court. Whether abortion itself should be a matter of public opinions is also obviously absurd; you can't murder people by opinion poll, or even decide who can be murdered and who can't, on the basis of popularity. That's immoral.

But whether or not it is, that has nothing to do with the Supreme Court's ruling, which is not on the matter of abortion itself, but on who has jurisdiction in matters LIKE abortion.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:00 pm No, there is no statistic there saying that 70% of Americans are against the R v. W. decision.

I read about the source of that statistic. It came from a poll that asked about five multiple choice questions concerning the time-frame for abortion, but the questions didn’t ask about no abortion. So, the 70% is caused by answering the question of when abortion should take place, rather than if it should take place at all. That’s the gist, the specific questions are out there somewhere. From this came the stat.

Here’s where I read about it.
Uwot’s favourite.

A Pro-Life Poll Up the Ass
https://www.takimag.com/article/a-pro-l ... p-the-ass/