January 6th hearings

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: January 6th hearings

Post by attofishpi »

..and to imagine, all those Republican rioters could have got what they wanted, a dictator called Trump, and no more democracy...the mind boggles at how stupid these people are. It must be all the fried chicken they eat.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

iambiguous wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:16 pm Ruth Marcus

'If Trump is ever to be held criminally accountable for the coup attempt, prosecutors will have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he knew what he was doing was wrong and unjustified. Here, the committee demonstrated there may be ample evidence of that.'

So, what exactly is the connection here between the Committee hearings and, say, the Justice Department?

Will this end up in court -- in a prosecution, in a trial -- or not?
There is no connection between the Senate Committee and the Department of Justice. No matter what facts the Committee uncovers and no matter what those facts indicate or prove beyond doubt, the DOJ will make its own decision as to whether to prosecute Trump.

I am prepared to hear the worst-case scenario, that Justice decides not to prosecute. After all, Trump is the man who incredibly suffered no consequences for any of the outrageous things he’s done.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

commonsense wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:06 pm

'If Trump is ever to be held criminally accountable for the coup attempt, prosecutors will have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he knew what he was doing was wrong and unjustified. Here, the committee demonstrated there may be ample evidence of that.'

So, what exactly is the connection here between the Committee hearings and, say, the Justice Department?

There is no connection between the Senate Committee and the Department of Justice. No matter what facts the Committee uncovers and no matter what those facts indicate or prove beyond doubt, the DOJ will make its own decision as to whether to prosecute Trump.

I am prepared to hear the worst-case scenario, that Justice decides not to prosecute. After all, Trump is the man who incredibly suffered no consequences for any of the outrageous things he’s done.
Yes, I understand that part. The part I'm considerably less clear regarding is this:
The powers that be -- the crony capitalist components of the ruling class -- coalesce in ways no one fully understands to come down on questions like this. From the Warren Commision to the Watergate farce to Ford granting a "full and unconditional pardon" to Nixon to Iran-Contra to the war in Iraq to the financial crisis in 2007 to Trump, the powers that be push the agenda in a direction that, from their frame of mind, serves the overall interests of the rich and powerful.
Many found the Mueller report to be confounding in regard to what, to them, seemed to be a clear collusion between Trump and the Kremlin to get him into the Oval Office.

As though the only thing that would have convinced Mueller is an actual taped telephone conversation between Trump and Putin:

Putin: "So it's on then. We'll do everything in our power to scuttle the Clinton campaign."
Trump: "Right. And the 'piss video' stays locked in the vault."
Putin: "Of course."

Now, while assuredly Attorney General Garland is no Barr or Sessions, who the hell really knows how deeply ensconced he and Biden are in the ruling class's machinations...policies aimed at sustaining what is in the overall best interest of the crony capitalist ruling class.

Nothing would surprise me.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:33 am ..and to imagine, all those Republican rioters could have got what they wanted, a dictator called Trump, and no more democracy...the mind boggles at how stupid these people are. It must be all the fried chicken they eat.
Actually the diet question is a big one.

The modern diet, especially the American one is highly dysfunctional and has led to a serious decline in cognitive power.

We are evolved to eat mostly meat, with opportunistic amounts of vegetation. In the autumn we have evolved mechanisms to store fat from eating fruit and other rare sweet things to prepare for winter. Grains were almost unknown the the human palate.

But modern fruits are far more rich in empty calories being sweeter than their progenitors, and are now available all year round. Bread, unknown to our ancestors is the staple, as are the modern huge potatoes usually nuked in toxic trans-fats and called french fries
Factories pump out industrial "oils", made with hydrocarbons from crude oil called Hexane to extract like blood from a stone oil from seed crops; like the toxic Crisco, Canola, and Rape.
The twentieth century has seen the rise of the "pre-digested" and processed foods. Kellogs cereals are utterly unnatural and are so weak in nutrition that fake vitamins have to be added to "enrich" these food-like substances.
Food processing, design and engineering provide energy high nutrient low food-like substances and the manufacturers main aim is to create a sensation in the mouth which triggers endorphins in the brain much like any other addictive substances.

Americans are the epitome of overfed idiots that are lacking in key minerals, vitamins, essential fatty acids and essential amino acids, which would otherwise be used to build neural links, cell membrane and so on.
The masses of fructose in the diet make the body store fat and switch off fat metabolism, thus depriving the body of key nutrients, whilst causing obesity, Type 2 diabetes, and what is now becoming known as type 3; Alzheimer's disease.

To compound the sin, schools are now having to beg Big Food manufacturers to install vending machines dispensing food-like substances because the wide men at the top are continuing to cut funding for education.

They are being offered security guards and guns, instead of nutritional information.

The TWINKIE generation is not too smart.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

If 'deep states' were possible, I'd imagine there wouldn't be one central deep state which all the wealthiest elite were a part of... but several deep states, either working with or against the other deep states. I dunno what the teams are, but they'd be composed of guys with considerable power and interests in oil, tech and space. Thing is, they can't all get on the same page and take over the whole world, so they end up fighting each other while the citizens of the world suffer the economic consequences.

Serious about the teams tho. We have no idea who's on the same team. Like Biden, Trump and Putin could be on the same team for all we know. Something like this would only make sense if we knew the endgame... but we don't, so we can't make sense of it (yet).
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

commonsense wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:06 pm

Correction: House Committee rather than Senate.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:36 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:33 am ..and to imagine, all those Republican rioters could have got what they wanted, a dictator called Trump, and no more democracy...the mind boggles at how stupid these people are. It must be all the fried chicken they eat.

The modern diet, especially the American one is highly dysfunctional and has led to a serious decline in cognitive power.

We are evolved to eat mostly meat, with opportunistic amounts of vegetation. In the autumn we have evolved mechanisms to store fat from eating fruit and other rare sweet things to prepare for winter. Grains were almost unknown the the human palate.

But modern fruits are far more rich in empty calories being sweeter than their progenitors, and are now available all year round. Bread, unknown to our ancestors is the staple, as are the modern huge potatoes usually nuked in toxic trans-fats and called french fries
Factories pump out industrial "oils", made with hydrocarbons from crude oil called Hexane to extract like blood from a stone oil from seed crops; like the toxic Crisco, Canola, and Rape.
The twentieth century has seen the rise of the "pre-digested" and processed foods. Kellogs cereals are utterly unnatural and are so weak in nutrition that fake vitamins have to be added to "enrich" these food-like substances.
Food processing, design and engineering provide energy high nutrient low food-like substances and the manufacturers main aim is to create a sensation in the mouth which triggers endorphins in the brain much like any other addictive substances.

Americans are the epitome of overfed idiots that are lacking in key minerals, vitamins, essential fatty acids and essential amino acids, which would otherwise be used to build neural links, cell membrane and so on.
The masses of fructose in the diet make the body store fat and switch off fat metabolism, thus depriving the body of key nutrients, whilst causing obesity, Type 2 diabetes, and what is now becoming known as type 3; Alzheimer's disease.

To compound the sin, schools are now having to beg Big Food manufacturers to install vending machines dispensing food-like substances because the wide men at the top are continuing to cut funding for education.

They are being offered security guards and guns, instead of nutritional information.

Ok. Yes, so you went a little bit more in depth than my ongoing insistence that they basically live on fried chicken!!

Whenever there is a US cooking show put on over here, it is all about prime-ribs and fried chicken, barely any veg. Even when I have seen their breakfast TV shows, the food being cooked appears rather inadequate in nutrition.
I wonder whether there is a conspiracy here, to dumb down the population (even more, if that is possible)?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:20 am
Sculptor wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:36 pm

Ok. Yes, so you went a little bit more in depth than my ongoing insistence that they basically live on fried chicken!!

Whenever there is a US cooking show put on over here, it is all about prime-ribs and fried chicken, barely any veg. Even when I have seen their breakfast TV shows, the food being cooked appears rather inadequate in nutrition.
I wonder whether there is a conspiracy here, to dumb down the population (even more, if that is possible)?
Prime rib is not the problem. But should be grass fed.
Humans are made of meat, and meat provides basically everything a body needs.
If you are not carb adapted, even then you can live on meat alone. Fatty meat works best because energy needs are not best served by protein.
Cite: Innuit, Masai.
The problem is the processed food that goes with it, and the carbs which cause insulin resistance.

Fried chicken is not so good because of the bread coating and the seed oils that it is cooked in.
If it was cooked in lard or butter it would be more healthy.

I would not necessarily advocate it but meat, and milk are the only types of food that you can live on without anything else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ-qwRGNgjo
Last edited by Sculptor on Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Well, looks like I shall go on a binge holiday to the deep south of US, drape myself in the confederate flag in the hope I get extra servings. :mrgreen:
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:35 pm Well, looks like I shall go on a binge holiday to the deep south of US, drape myself in the confederate flag in the hope I get extra servings. :mrgreen:
Don't be put off by Dr Berry's accent.
He's an MD with 20+ years of clinical experience, and he's not the only guy saying this stuff.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:39 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:35 pm Well, looks like I shall go on a binge holiday to the deep south of US, drape myself in the confederate flag in the hope I get extra servings. :mrgreen:
He's an MD with 20+ years of clinical experience, and he's not the only guy saying this stuff.
Yes, I see what you mean by the accent, might have thought he was one of the rioters.

Pretty amazing, I had heard of something like this many years ago but interesting to see the result. I tried no carbs for a while and I could smell a slice of bread from a mile away, it killed me. Thing is, re this video, one could eat veg (but she did suffer IBS from that), and no dairy or carbs.
Sounds like a harder task than she makes out. I love cooking, and use carbs like pasta, potatoes and bread etc..and lots of cheese n butter. I'd just find meat only far too boring, but I guess if I was that large I might commit as she appears to have had to.
I would like to lose 10Kg - my problem is I like beer and\or a bottle of wine depending on what I am cooking! However, I am committed to reducing that to weekends for the forseable future (might even try cutting out altogether for cuppla months), and ya, gonna have to reduce the carbs...hopefully can look a bit better on the beach next summer.

What's your plan? I read somewhere you were trying to get into better shape?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:52 am
Yes, I see what you mean by the accent, might have thought he was one of the rioters.

Pretty amazing, I had heard of something like this many years ago but interesting to see the result. I tried no carbs for a while and I could smell a slice of bread from a mile away, it killed me. Thing is, re this video, one could eat veg (but she did suffer IBS from that), and no dairy or carbs.
Sounds like a harder task than she makes out. I love cooking, and use carbs like pasta, potatoes and bread etc..and lots of cheese n butter. I'd just find meat only far too boring, but I guess if I was that large I might commit as she appears to have had to.
I would like to lose 10Kg - my problem is I like beer and\or a bottle of wine depending on what I am cooking! However, I am committed to reducing that to weekends for the forseable future (might even try cutting out altogether for cuppla months), and ya, gonna have to reduce the carbs...hopefully can look a bit better on the beach next summer.

You are a sugar, carb addict. Understanding this addiction is key.

At the start of the year I started Intermittent Fasting. I decided to eat one meal a day. (OMAD)
I've lost 35lbs. I've never really been hungry except in the first three days, and 1 hour before meal times.
No clothes fit me anymore. I've been on calorie restricted diets since I was 13yo, and they always worked temporarily, but gave up because I ended up physically tired, and bored. This fasting is the most successful diet and it has become a way of life. It is not characterised by a drop in metabolism from calorie restriction, but a boost to energy that fasting gives you.
It's important to know the science of metabolism. What made this possible is the rejection of carbs.

It works like this:
We are adapted by nature to thrive through times of scarcity, and to subsist mostly on hunted meat, and small amounts of opportunistic vegetation.
For most of our evolution fruits and roots were tiny. strawberries the size of your little finger nail, apples the size of a golf ball, carrots the size of your little finger.
Fruit is seasonal and the body is adapted to use sweet things only in autumn and to immediately store everything sweet for winter storage. When we eat fructose it immediately supressed Leptin (a satiety hormone), which switches off fat burning and mobilises fat deposition and storage.
Sugar is half fructose half glucose. Sugar also stimulates cortisol just like heroin. So if you eat anything sweet it makes you hungry and fat. Not only does the fat you have eaten get stored but the liver actively turns the sugar into fat. The Fructose then causes Fatty Liver Disease.
In the modern world fruits are huge, containing massively more sugar than ever, and winter never comes, the availability of sweet things means autumn all year. This means the potential to get fat and stay fat is part of the diet.
Wheat is pulverised to a powder so fine that it is also capable of having a similar destructive power as icing sugar, because the starch turns quickly to raise blood sugar.
Carrots and potatoes are similarly dangerous.
Carbs , rare in nature, are pushed on us by modern factory food makers. The encourages a cycle of high blood sugar, insulin spikes, drops in blood sugar followed by hunger, followed by insulin resistance which leads to inflammation and metabolic syndrome, The result of which is obesity, and T2Diabetes. If your A1C is slightly higher than normal then you are already on the road to T2D.

The route out of this cycle is to return your body to a pre modern diet adaptation.
If you are serious then read "The Complete Guide to Fasting" , Jason Fung.
If you want to understand to metabolic science, read "Metabolical" by Robert Lustig, and "Why we get Fat" by Gary Taubes.

Some of this I have already discussed here:

https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop ... 4&t=197842

I'm happy to talk more about it.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:58 am

At the start of the year I started Intermittent Fasting. I decided to eat one meal a day. (OMAD)
I've lost 35lbs. I've never really been hungry except in the first three days, and 1 hour before meal times.
No clothes fit me anymore. I've been on calorie restricted diets since I was 13yo, and they always worked temporarily, but gave up because I ended up physically tired, and bored. This fasting is the most successful diet and it has become a way of life. It is not characterised by a drop in metabolism from calorie restriction, but a boost to energy that fasting gives you.
It's important to know the science of metabolism. What made this possible is the rejection of carbs.

It works like this:
We are adapted by nature to thrive through times of scarcity, and to subsist mostly on hunted meat, and small amounts of opportunistic vegetation.
For most of our evolution fruits and roots were tiny. strawberries the size of your little finger nail, apples the size of a golf ball, carrots the size of your little finger.
Fruit is seasonal and the body is adapted to use sweet things only in autumn and to immediately store everything sweet for winter storage. When we eat fructose it immediately supressed Leptin (a satiety hormone), which switches off fat burning and mobilises fat deposition and storage.
Sugar is half fructose half glucose. Sugar also stimulates cortisol just like heroin. So if you eat anything sweet it makes you hungry and fat. Not only does the fat you have eaten get stored but the liver actively turns the sugar into fat. The Fructose then causes Fatty Liver Disease.
In the modern world fruits are huge, containing massively more sugar than ever, and winter never comes, the availability of sweet things means autumn all year. This means the potential to get fat and stay fat is part of the diet.
Wheat is pulverised to a powder so fine that it is also capable of having a similar destructive power as icing sugar, because the starch turns quickly to raise blood sugar.
Carbs , rare in nature, are pushed on us by modern factory food makers. The encourages a cycle of high blood sugar, insulin spikes, drops in blood sugar followed by hunger, followed by insulin resistance which leads to inflammation and metabolic syndrome, The result of which is obesity, and T2Diabetes. If your A1C is slightly higher than normal then you are already on the road to T2D.

The route out of this cycle is to return your body to a pre modern diet adaptation.
If you want to understand to metabolic science, read "Metabolical" by Robert Lustig, and "Why we get Fat" by Gary Taubes.

Well, I think that was the most interesting post I have read from you (no offence). I will certainly do more investigation into this and have a look at J Fung book. What you state really makes sense re basically, understanding our true "symbiotic" nature as opposed to having a shop full of shit!

Diabetes is rampant through my fathers side of the family, thus far I have been ok but will look into more thorough testing, such as A1C, it's been ages since I had any sugar level test.

Thanks.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:28 am
Sculptor wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:58 am

It works like this:

Well, I think that was the most interesting post I have read from you (no offence). I will certainly do more investigation into this and have a look at J Fung book. What you state really makes sense re basically, understanding our true "symbiotic" nature as opposed to having a shop full of shit!

Diabetes is rampant through my fathers side of the family, thus far I have been ok but will look into more thorough testing, such as A1C, it's been ages since I had any sugar level test.

Thanks.
Knowledge is power as they say. I wish I had known about this stuff years ago.

Type2 is a scourge of modern life, and if you have it in the family your eating habits and genes are going to work against you.
The problem with most doctoring these days is that it tends to be crisis management. They do not act to prevent, and tend to wait for the problem to get critical before they act.
T2D is though treated badly. It is nothing like Type 1, which is an inability to make enough insulin. Type2 is because of chronic excess of insulin which has led to insulin resistance. So ironically most people get treated for too mush insulin with MORE insulin. But T2D is now being treated my more enlightened doctors with diet alone. And that simply means cutting out the carbs!
You really need to read Robert Lustig's book "Fat Chance". You can get a 2nd hand copy for £3 from Abe books.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceFyF9px20Y

Check this out too, Her voice is really annoying but what she says is spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ