Should NATO dismantle?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Should NATO dismantle?

Post by Dontaskme »

I personally think it should. I think every single country and it's unique culture should be responsible for keeping it's own house in order and not interfere with other countries right to run their country as they wish according to their own original culture. I think each country should just respect, accept and embrace other countries cultures for what they are and leave them alone to live their lives how they collectively agree to live..

There does not have to be warring nations. Nations do not need to feel threatened by other nations.
DPMartin

Re: Should NATO dismantle?

Post by DPMartin »

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:59 pm I personally think it should. I think every single country and it's unique culture should be responsible for keeping it's own house in order and not interfere with other countries right to run their country as they wish according to their own original culture. I think each country should just respect, accept and embrace other countries cultures for what they are and leave them alone to live their lives how they collectively agree to live..

There does not have to be warring nations. Nations do not need to feel threatened by other nations.
no, absolutely not, a military alliance can deter guys like Putin from considering attacking. if the Ukraine agreed to be a part of NATO long ago this probably wouldn't have happened.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:59 pm
I think each country should just respect, accept and embrace other countries cultures for what they are and leave them alone to live their lives how they collectively agree to live..

If only this were how things were in the real world, what a wonderful world it would be.

Treaties like the NATO agreement afford the signees greater military strength, which in turn increases diplomatic gravitas.
wtf

Post by wtf »

commonsense wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:00 pm Treaties like the NATO agreement afford the signees greater military strength, which in turn increases diplomatic gravitas.
Both points are certainly arguable. When the US is obligated by treaty to go to war in case somebody attacks Lithuania, it could be argued that this makes the US weaker, not stronger. Any of these piddly countries -- apologies to any Lithuanian readers -- can drag the US into war. That's arguably a weakness for the US, not a strength.

As far as increasing "military gravitas," I'm not sure what that means, except that whatever it is, I'm sure it's the opposite of woke general Milley lecturing Congress on white rage.

And it's perfectly clear that the endless eastward expansion of NATO after the fall of the USSR in 1991, despite the US's assurance to Russia that NATO would not expand "a single inch" east of Germany, has forced Russia into a corner to the extent that Putin felt (rightly or wrongly) that he had no choice but to invade Ukraine before they joined NATO and the US put nukes within a few minutes flight of Moscow. Provoking your opponent into rash action is not diplomacy, it's not gravitas, and it's clearly unwise. Unless, like some in the US, one longs for a nuclear confrontation. Some in the US's foreign policy elite do.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Thanks for your interesting views on the topic guys.

I personally think NATO is a gang mentality, and while gang mentality is a thing, there will never be peace.

When we reduce this reasoning down to our local town and village communities...where we have learnt that it is easier to just get-a-long and tolerate each others differences, rather than just rip up each others towns, villages, and houses just because we do not like they way the people living there choose to live their lives.

If we can live peacefully as a town or village, then we should extend that collective co-operation to include all neigbouring countries.

I do not think war is about killing people, because why would we harm other people when we would not dream of harming our own self.

I think it's about basic resources, like food and building materials needed to support our human need to survive. And if that be the case, then humanity needs to think more carefully about not overloading the demand for such vital and essential commodities, by just reducing the population to a more sustainable level. In other words, maybe we should just hold back on the procreation process, at least until we can provide a decent and hospitable place for them to live their lives in, instead of just mindlessly laying our eggs in a pre-prepared minefield of our own making. If we are not going to put any effort into thinking things through properly before we have our future generation, then we'll just keep repeating the same old sufferings over and over again by submitting our authority on the unborn so that they would have to repeat the same experience that is the mess we have made..not them.

Another thought comes to mind...I really do not think there will be another WORLD WAR ..simply because we have already shot ourselves in the foot by building weapons of mass destruction where we destroy our own planet/home.

We would not dream of destroying our own personal living space, namely, our house...so why would we even attempt at polluting the planet that sustains us with radiation...that's just not an intelligent thing to do.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

If we do start lobbing nukes at each other. It would most likely be a nuclear weapon detonated in the air, called an air burst, which produces less fallout than a comparable explosion near the ground.

IDK ..but whatever, the warring mentality just so pointlessly points to the pointlessness of life for humanity.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

What does the Bible have to say in Revelation 8

____

The Seventh Seal and the Golden Censer
8 When he opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour.

2 And I saw the seven angels who stand before God, and seven trumpets were given to them.

3 Another angel, who had a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense to offer, with the prayers of all God’s people, on the golden altar in front of the throne. 4 The smoke of the incense, together with the prayers of God’s people, went up before God from the angel’s hand. 5 Then the angel took the censer, filled it with fire from the altar, and hurled it on the earth; and there came peals of thunder, rumblings, flashes of lightning and an earthquake.

The Trumpets
6 Then the seven angels who had the seven trumpets prepared to sound them.

7 The first angel sounded his trumpet, and there came hail and fire mixed with blood, and it was hurled down on the earth. A third of the earth was burned up, a third of the trees were burned up, and all the green grass was burned up.

8 The second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned into blood, 9 a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.

10 The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water— 11 the name of the star is Wormwood.[a] A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter.

12 The fourth angel sounded his trumpet, and a third of the sun was struck, a third of the moon, and a third of the stars, so that a third of them turned dark. A third of the day was without light, and also a third of the night.

13 As I watched, I heard an eagle that was flying in midair call out in a loud voice: “Woe! Woe! Woe to the inhabitants of the earth, because of the trumpet blasts about to be sounded by the other three angels!”

_____

Spooky or what?
MagsJ

Post by MagsJ »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:16 am If we do start lobbing nukes at each other. It would most likely be a nuclear weapon detonated in the air, called an air burst, which produces less fallout than a comparable explosion near the ground.

IDK ..but whatever, the warring mentality just so pointlessly points to the pointlessness of life for humanity.
Warring is so passé, and so never to be trending again, and so becoming perpetually off-trend and eventually obsolete.. like it never existed at all.
MagsJ

Post by MagsJ »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:23 am What does the Bible have to say in Revelation 8
____

_____

Spooky or what?
Ancient mythology mentions (what sounds like) nuclear weapons, being used for mass destruction.

Religious canonical texts of Olde bear witness to that, seen in the writings contained in their pages.. that could make one think that they are nothing new.

..then perhaps instruments are replications of those weapons, created for ritual, to recreate the actions of the past.. like all ritual does.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

MagsJ wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:47 am
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:23 am What does the Bible have to say in Revelation 8
____

_____

Spooky or what?
Ancient mythology mentions (what sounds like) nuclear weapons, being used for mass destruction.

Religious canonical texts of Olde bear witness to that, seen in the writings contained in their pages.. that could make one think that they are nothing new.

..then perhaps instruments are replications of those weapons, created for ritual, to recreate the actions of the past.. like all ritual does.
Appreciate your views MagsJ

When I think of the ''RE'' word....it points to the memory, in that we know the future as a recreated prediction in the here and now based on the memory of past. So yes, we are ritualistic creatures.
MagsJ

Post by MagsJ »

MagsJ wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:30 am Warring is so passé, and so never to be trending again, and so becoming perpetually off-trend and eventually obsolete.. like it never existed at all.
But then again.. the mullet, flares, platforms, and double denim, made a comeback, and nobody thought they would. :lol:
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"Spooky or what?"

No not spooky. Not at all. All the phenomena named is perfectly natural; thunder, earth quakes, fire, lightening, blazing stars falling from the sky or whatever. Somebody saw a meteor one time and without having any scientific knowledge about such a thing, reported it as alien and divine... sent by God or angels or something. How else are they to understand it?

And the Ezekiel thing about the spaceship lookin structure with the pillars that look like jet engines... that's just the fictitious product of the writer. He knows, we know, and this Ezekiel guy knows, that no such thing literally happened, and the purpose of the writing there was metaphorical, symbolic and mythological. The image of this thing was probably the mental reproduction of some kind of war machine or chariot or whatever they had back then.

But, BUT, if it is true, why it's an alien space craft obviously.

Still no literal 'god' is needed to explain anything here.

Interstellar travelling intelligent life coming to the erf is half as unheard of as the belief in a literal 'god' (of the anthropomorphic variety) ordering an army of angels to wage war on the erf, is.

You can call your aliens 'gods' if you want, but you can't call any of this stuff 'divine' in a metaphysical sense. The alien guys are just another animal product of a locally eco-ordered but ultimately non-onto-teleogical process of biologo-material evolution.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

On the NATO dismantling thing.

Countries are alliances, just like NATO is. A federation of self governing towns, cities and states that collectively form the country they are in.

Imagine what the thirteen colonies thought of the idea of forming a union of states. Probably a very strange idea about which many thinkers troubled themselves as we do about the question of NATO.

Just think of organizations - from a small village to a yuge global cabal of governments - as neither rational or irrational, good or bad, right or wrong - but as unions made by smaller groups who benefit somehow from entering the union with the others.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:59 pm I personally think it should. I think every single country and it's unique culture should be responsible for keeping it's own house in order and not interfere with other countries right to run their country as they wish according to their own original culture. I think each country should just respect, accept and embrace other countries cultures for what they are and leave them alone to live their lives how they collectively agree to live..

It's certainly a sword that can cut both ways. In some ways it can be a deterent. In others it can make escalation of war easier.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Govts. don't make wars; idiot populations do, depending on how gullible they are at any given time. As long as idiots keep joining the military then we will have wars. As long as idiots keep buying into the 'hero soldier' garbage then we will have wars. Perhaps people have got a 'little' bit more sophisticated over time? I wouldn't bet on it though. There seem to be more and more morons wearing red poppies every year.
Putin is just one little man. Russia has 144 million people.