No War Has Ever Been A War For Freedom

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: No War Has Ever Been A War For Freedom

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:12 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:52 am
RCSaunders wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:35 am
Sadly true. I personally know some immigrants who are still running successful businesses--Cambodian, Mexican, and Vietnamese, who are still doing pretty well, because they really appreciate that freedom means extreme hard work one has to achieve themselves. But such are becoming very rare.
How does that mean 'freedom'? Please explain. And as an annoying old fart, how do YOU exist? Govt pension? How does that make you 'free'? Do you think you should be 'free' to drive around with dementia as you please, putting everyone else at risk?
[To make amends, maybe, for my previous post.]

First I have to say I never answer questions of a personal nature, especially about finances in any public place (for privacy reasons) and avoid asking such questions of anyone else. It's why I would never be a part of Fartbook, Twatter, or any other so-called social media.

Freedom means freedom to do, not freedom to have provided by anything or anyone else. It is freedom when someone is able to choose to do what they believe is in their own interest, to their survival, their life, and however they choose to pursue it. There is no one way for anyone to live, but to be free one must be the sole determiner of how they live their life and all they are and all the have, good or bad, must be the result of their own choices and effort. There are no guarantees, and freedom does not mean automatic success. It only means if one chooses to succeed and is willing make the effort and pay the price, success is possible.

What freedom will be for any individual will be different for every one, because every individual will have their own unique aspirations and goals and what they choose to do with their life. In the same society, some will find freedom that others will regard as oppression because one only wants to do things they are free to do in that society, while the other has ambitions prohibited in that society. To be free, the second individual will have to find a different society.

Those immigrant entrepreneurs I described earlier as being free, are examples of those who are able to live their lives by their own choice and effort, not looking for or desiring anything from anyone else except what others find of value in their services and products. Earning one's own way without either dependence on others or restrictions imposed by others is freedom.

There was an ironic truth in my earlier response. Most people really do not want to be free. It terrifies them. They need the comfort of believing they belong to something, some group (their heard or hive perhaps), that will keep them safe and provide whatever they are not certain they can provide themselves. They have so little confidence in themselves, they are terrified of making all their decisions on their own, longing for some leader or expert or authority to tell them what to do. It is very difficult to explain to those who really don't want freedom exactly what freedom is. They don't really want to know.
Why don't you go and live in a country that genuinely has no 'freedom' and you might learn the difference and stop whining about your own lack of it (which invariably involves something to do with money)? How do you know what those immigrants get up to in their private lives? They might be all drug dealers for all you know. Or people traffickers.
No one tells me what to do or how to live, and I'm a person who doesn't take kindly to being told what to do. I don't think any of the laws here are unreasonable. All they do is make life possible for a lot of humans who are forced to live together and to try and make that work.
Better still, go and live in the jungle (if you can find one). Unfortunately that will encroach on the 'freedom' of genuine jungle dwellers to carry on their lives unhindered by a wanky human intruder.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"Better still, go and live in the jungle (if you can find one)."

They don't have 'jungles' anymore. Capitalists have deforested the entire planet.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Okay but they will eventually. Mark my words.
vegetariantaxidermy

promethean75 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:44 pm "Better still, go and live in the jungle (if you can find one)."

They don't have 'jungles' anymore. Capitalists have deforested the entire planet.
Exercising their 'freedoms'...
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:07 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:52 am

How does that mean 'freedom'? Please explain. And as an annoying old fart, how do YOU exist? Govt pension? How does that make you 'free'? Do you think you should be 'free' to drive around with dementia as you please, putting everyone else at risk?

First I have to say I never answer questions of a personal nature, especially about finances in any public place (for privacy reasons) and avoid asking such questions of anyone else. It's why I would never be a part of Fartbook, Twatter, or any other so-called social media.

Freedom means freedom to do, not freedom to have provided by anything or anyone else. It is freedom when someone is able to choose to do what they believe is in their own interest, to their survival, their life, and however they choose to pursue it. There is no one way for anyone to live, but to be free one must be the sole determiner of how they live their life and all they are and all the have, good or bad, must be the result of their own choices and effort. There are no guarantees, and freedom does not mean automatic success. It only means if one chooses to succeed and is willing make the effort and pay the price, success is possible.

What freedom will be for any individual will be different for every one, because every individual will have their own unique aspirations and goals and what they choose to do with their life. In the same society, some will find freedom that others will regard as oppression because one only wants to do things they are free to do in that society, while the other has ambitions prohibited in that society. To be free, the second individual will have to find a different society.

Those immigrant entrepreneurs I described earlier as being free, are examples of those who are able to live their lives by their own choice and effort, not looking for or desiring anything from anyone else except what others find of value in their services and products. Earning one's own way without either dependence on others or restrictions imposed by others is freedom.

There was an ironic truth in my earlier response. Most people really do not want to be free. It terrifies them. They need the comfort of believing they belong to something, some group (their heard or hive perhaps), that will keep them safe and provide whatever they are not certain they can provide themselves. They have so little confidence in themselves, they are terrified of making all their decisions on their own, longing for some leader or expert or authority to tell them what to do. It is very difficult to explain to those who really don't want freedom exactly what freedom is. They don't really want to know.
Why don't you go and live in a country that genuinely has no 'freedom' and you might learn the difference and stop whining about your own lack of it (which invariably involves something to do with money)? How do you know what those immigrants get up to in their private lives? They might be all drug dealers for all you know. Or people traffickers.
I think you posted this to the wrong individual. I have never complained about not being free (or anything else, really). I have no use for complainers and gripers. I happen to know those immigrants personally. In one case, it's a very large family: grandparents, parents, children, cousins, aunts, and uncles. They are just decent, hard working, fun loving, intelligent, sociable people who work (I'm guessing 50-60 hours a week, minimum) running a very successful business that is highly respected in the community.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:07 pm No one tells me what to do or how to live, and I'm a person who doesn't take kindly to being told what to do. I don't think any of the laws here are unreasonable. All they do is make life possible for a lot of humans who are forced to live together and to try and make that work.
Good for you. That's what I said, freedom is different for everyone and it depends on what any individual's ambitions and aspirations are. So long as one does not want to pursue something in life the, "state," or, "society," has not decided to pass a laws against, they can be free. But in most cases it doesn't matter, because most people, like you, are sure they could never manage to get along with others in a community without some agency of force (mommy and daddy government) passing laws telling everyone what they can and can't do. I have no interest in changing that. Attempting to change others and engineering a society is a fools errand.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:07 pm Better still, go and live in the jungle (if you can find one). Unfortunately that will encroach on the 'freedom' of genuine jungle dwellers to carry on their lives unhindered by a wanky human intruder.
What are you so worked up about? For someone who says, "No one tells me what to do or how to live, and I'm a person who doesn't take kindly to being told what to do," you don't hesitate to tell others what to do, and never notice the contradiction: "I don't think any of the laws here are unreasonable." so, unless you are lying, you obey those laws which are just, "the government telling you what to do."

By the way. There are very few truly free in the world, because very few really want to be free. In any community or society the truly free never interfere in others lives and are the least intrusive of all individuals, never a threat or danger to anyone else, and always the most benevolent. If they are noticed at all (which most take measures to avoid) they are often the most hated and least understood or appreciated, their success and happiness despised--but about that not one of them gives a damn.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Some governments are more oppressive than others. I wouldn't want to live in North Korea for instance, and neither would you, I'm guessing.
vegetariantaxidermy

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:10 pm

I think you posted this to the wrong individual. I have never complained about not being free (or anything else, really). I have no use for complainers and gripers. I happen to know those immigrants personally. In one case, it's a very large family: grandparents, parents, children, cousins, aunts, and uncles. They are just decent, hard working, fun loving, intelligent, sociable people who work (I'm guessing 50-60 hours a week, minimum) running a very successful business that is highly respected in the community.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:07 pm No one tells me what to do or how to live, and I'm a person who doesn't take kindly to being told what to do. I don't think any of the laws here are unreasonable. All they do is make life possible for a lot of humans who are forced to live together and to try and make that work.
Good for you. That's what I said, freedom is different for everyone and it depends on what any individual's ambitions and aspirations are. So long as one does not want to pursue something in life the, "state," or, "society," has not decided to pass a laws against, they can be free. But in most cases it doesn't matter, because most people, like you, are sure they could never manage to get along with others in a community without some agency of force (mommy and daddy government) passing laws telling everyone what they can and can't do. I have no interest in changing that. Attempting to change others and engineering a society is a fools errand.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:07 pm Better still, go and live in the jungle (if you can find one). Unfortunately that will encroach on the 'freedom' of genuine jungle dwellers to carry on their lives unhindered by a wanky human intruder.
What are you so worked up about? For someone who says, "No one tells me what to do or how to live, and I'm a person who doesn't take kindly to being told what to do," you don't hesitate to tell others what to do, and never notice the contradiction: "I don't think any of the laws here are unreasonable." so, unless you are lying, you obey those laws which are just, "the government telling you what to do."

By the way. There are very few truly free in the world, because very few really want to be free. In any community or society the truly free never interfere in others lives and are the least intrusive of all individuals, never a threat or danger to anyone else, and always the most benevolent. If they are noticed at all (which most take measures to avoid) they are often the most hated and least understood or appreciated, their success and happiness despised--but about that not one of them gives a damn.
Probably because yanks and their generic crap get on my nerves. Ranting on about 'freedoms' (which shouldn't even be pluralised) and poisoining the rest of the planet with their bullshit about a word they don't even have a clue what the meaning of is. They are just spewing what they've been brainwashed to spew. If your country is so 'free', then how was McCarthyism even a 'thing'? How is forcing children to worship a piece of cloth every morning, 'freedom'?
Now, thanks to the internet, we have hoards of society's morons and losers gathering in unwashed clusters to wail about their lost 'freedoms' and throw their shit (literally) around, encroaching on the 'freedom' of others to run their businesses and get to work. Idiots, like everyone else who whines about their 'freedoms' while living in a modern democracy with one of the highest ratings in the world on the 'freedom index'. Not to mention the fact that these 'protests' were funded by self-serving conspiracyturd interests in the US and Canada, preying on the nuisance moron faction that every country is cursed with. The only good thing about it was the comedy factor on the news every night, when the so-called 'freedom fighters' were interviewed and started ranting about 9/11, fluoride, autism (from vaccines), 'indigenous' sovereignty blah blah blah, It was hilarious.
This govt. could have ended their fun in a heartbeat by simply threatening to take away their welfare if they didn't fuck off. Oh the irony :lol:
Other countries used tear gas, fire hoses, and rubber bullets. This govt. played Barry Manilow music over the loudspeakers to try to get rid of them. Oh, whose poor, oppressed 'victims' :roll:
Walker

Post by Walker »

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:05 am ...
To be understood, the Constitution must be interpreted through the eyes of the Declaration of Independence.
That is the measure of interpretation.
Not some whim of some woman, who will not say what a woman is, because for some political reason she can't.

Leftists don’t do this.
They say that the Constitution is relative.
It’s relative to whatever the hell they want.

Ali was a philanderer. To women, this made him immoral.

Ali was his own man. To men, this made him moral, and gave him character.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Why don't you go and live in a country ...
Ever live in the USA?
vegetariantaxidermy

It's not the 'govt. telling me what to do'. It's called co-operation. Making an effort to live in harmony with others. This benefits everyone, including me, making life as pleasant as it can be for all. No govt. can enforce laws if a population chooses not to follow them. It's a bit like a marriage. There's no point in only one party making an effort. Think of traffic lights. What could anyone do if everyone chose to ignore them? What you crave is anarchy, which is extremely UNpleasant for everyone except a few opportunistic kunts (and there are always plenty of those in any population).
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:51 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:07 pm Probably because yanks and their generic crap get on my nerves. Ranting on about 'freedoms' (which shouldn't even be pluralised) and poisoining the rest of the planet with their bullshit about a word they don't even have a clue what the meaning of is. They are just spewing what they've been brainwashed to spew. If your country is so 'free', then how was McCarthyism even a 'thing'? How is forcing children to worship a piece of cloth every morning, 'freedom'?

Now, thanks to the internet, we have hoards of society's morons and losers gathering in unwashed clusters to wail about their lost 'freedoms' and throw their shit (literally) around, encroaching on the 'freedom' of others to run their businesses and get to work. Idiots, like everyone else who whines about their 'freedoms' while living in a modern democracy with one of the highest ratings in the world on the 'freedom index'. Not to mention the fact that these 'protests' were funded by self-serving conspiracyturd interests in the US and Canada, preying on the nuisance moron faction that every country is cursed with. The only good thing about it was the comedy factor on the news every night, when the so-called 'freedom fighters' were interviewed and started ranting about 9/11, fluoride, autism (from vaccines), 'indigenous' sovereignty blah blah blah, It was hilarious.
This govt. could have ended their fun in a heartbeat by simply threatening to take away their welfare if they didn't fuck off. Oh the irony :lol:
Other countries used tear gas, fire hoses, and rubber bullets. This govt. played Barry Manilow music over the loudspeakers to try to get rid of them. Oh, whose poor, oppressed 'victims' :roll:
You do a lot of baseless assuming about others, then attempt to criticize what you just made up.
This much of what you said I totally agree with and have said and written myself:
Ranting on about 'freedoms' (which shouldn't even be pluralised) and poisoining the rest of the planet with their bullshit about a word they don't even have a clue what the meaning of is. They are just spewing what they've been brainwashed to spew. If ... [America} is so 'free', then how was McCarthyism even a 'thing'? How is forcing children to worship a piece of cloth every morning, 'freedom'?
Now, thanks to the internet, we have hoards of society's morons and losers gathering in unwashed clusters to wail about their lost 'freedoms' and throw their shit (literally) around, ... Idiots, like everyone else who whines about their 'freedoms' while living in a modern democracy with one of the highest ratings in the world on the 'freedom index'. Not to mention the fact that these 'protests' were funded by self-serving conspiracyturd interests in the US and Canada, preying on the nuisance moron faction that every country is cursed with. The only good thing about it was the comedy factor on the news every night, when the so-called 'freedom fighters' were interviewed and started ranting about 9/11, fluoride, autism (from vaccines), 'indigenous' sovereignty blah blah blah, It was hilarious.
Only three things I do not totally agree with.

1. I have no idea what you mean by, "yanks." It sounds like you hold people responsible for the accident of their birth, as though anyone had a choice about what country they would be born in (or that where one is born determines what they are which is pure ethnic prejudice). I'm not accusing of that at all, only pointing out what it seems like.

2. You wrote, "If your country is so 'free', then how was McCarthyism even a 'thing'?" I do not have country. The fact that I was born in some country (one has no choice about it) and have lived a lot of my life there (but not only there) in no way determines who or what I am. Where one is born, what their, "race," or, "ethnic background," are, who their ancestors were, or what genetic characteristics one is born with are all things one has no choice about, and none of them determine who or what any individual is.

Only what any individual chooses to do and make of oneself determines who and what they are. All those things available to an individual through the accident of birth, the culture one is born in and whatever genetic characteristics one is born with are only resources from which one must choose to use, adopt, or not. Most people do choose to adopt the culture, views, practices, and values of the society in which they are born because it is much easier then actually thinking and choosing for oneself, less dangerous, and more comforting to know what one does and believes is accepted and approved by all those around them. Most people do choose to identify themselves, not by what they have made of themselves, but by the culture they grow up in, their race, their ethnic background, their genetic characteristics, or the country they were born in and become good little statists and patriots willing to, "die for their country," and kill anyone of any other country.

3. I have no idea what you mean by, " encroaching on the 'freedom' of others to run their businesses and get to work." How is someone who actually produces a product or service others benefit from and minds their own business and seeks nothing from anyone except what other's choose to their own benefit, "encroaching on the freedom of others? Why do you denigrate those who earn their own living and do not live at other's expense as welfare parasites or government subsidized predators?
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:04 am

It's not the 'govt. telling me what to do'. It's called co-operation. Making an effort to live in harmony with others. This benefits everyone, including me, making life as pleasant as it can be for all. No govt. can enforce laws if a population chooses not to follow them. It's a bit like a marriage. There's no point in only one party making an effort. Think of traffic lights. What could anyone do if everyone chose to ignore them? What you crave is anarchy, which is extremely UNpleasant for everyone except a few opportunistic kunts (and there are always plenty of those in any population).
Cooperation is two or more individuals each voluntarily agreeing to participate in something to their mutual benefit. When one or more of those individuals holds a gun to force participation of others in anything they would not otherwise have chosen to be part of, it is not cooperation, it is oppression. Cooperation does not require obedience or the use or threat of force to back it up. Laws do.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Walker wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:23 am
RCSaunders wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:05 am ...
To be understood, the Constitution must be interpreted through the eyes of the Declaration of Independence.
That is the measure of interpretation.
Says who?

Both documents were written by men with political agendas. Both documents were signed by a very few but forced on many who never even had an opportunity to read them, much less an opportunity to reject them.

The cost of those two document is every war the state they gave birth to has ever been involved in and the huge oppressive government that exists today. There are some good ideas in those documents (like those expressed in parts of the Bill of Rights), but they are, unfortunately, swamped by those ideas that justify political oppression.

Faith in pieces of paper is always dangerous.
vegetariantaxidermy

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:24 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:51 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:07 pm Probably because yanks and their generic crap get on my nerves. Ranting on about 'freedoms' (which shouldn't even be pluralised) and poisoining the rest of the planet with their bullshit about a word they don't even have a clue what the meaning of is. They are just spewing what they've been brainwashed to spew. If your country is so 'free', then how was McCarthyism even a 'thing'? How is forcing children to worship a piece of cloth every morning, 'freedom'?

You do a lot of baseless assuming about others, then attempt to criticize what you just made up.
This much of what you said I totally agree with and have said and written myself:
Ranting on about 'freedoms' (which shouldn't even be pluralised) and poisoining the rest of the planet with their bullshit about a word they don't even have a clue what the meaning of is. They are just spewing what they've been brainwashed to spew. If ... [America} is so 'free', then how was McCarthyism even a 'thing'? How is forcing children to worship a piece of cloth every morning, 'freedom'?
Now, thanks to the internet, we have hoards of society's morons and losers gathering in unwashed clusters to wail about their lost 'freedoms' and throw their shit (literally) around, ... Idiots, like everyone else who whines about their 'freedoms' while living in a modern democracy with one of the highest ratings in the world on the 'freedom index'. Not to mention the fact that these 'protests' were funded by self-serving conspiracyturd interests in the US and Canada, preying on the nuisance moron faction that every country is cursed with. The only good thing about it was the comedy factor on the news every night, when the so-called 'freedom fighters' were interviewed and started ranting about 9/11, fluoride, autism (from vaccines), 'indigenous' sovereignty blah blah blah, It was hilarious.
Only three things I do not totally agree with.

1. I have no idea what you mean by, "yanks." It sounds like you hold people responsible for the accident of their birth, as though anyone had a choice about what country they would be born in (or that where one is born determines what they are which is pure ethnic prejudice). I'm not accusing of that at all, only pointing out what it seems like.

2. You wrote, "If your country is so 'free', then how was McCarthyism even a 'thing'?" I do not have country. The fact that I was born in some country (one has no choice about it) and have lived a lot of my life there (but not only there) in no way determines who or what I am. Where one is born, what their, "race," or, "ethnic background," are, who their ancestors were, or what genetic characteristics one is born with are all things one has no choice about, and none of them determine who or what any individual is.

Only what any individual chooses to do and make of oneself determines who and what they are. All those things available to an individual through the accident of birth, the culture one is born in and whatever genetic characteristics one is born with are only resources from which one must choose to use, adopt, or not. Most people do choose to adopt the culture, views, practices, and values of the society in which they are born because it is much easier then actually thinking and choosing for oneself, less dangerous, and more comforting to know what one does and believes is accepted and approved by all those around them. Most people do choose to identify themselves, not by what they have made of themselves, but by the culture they grow up in, their race, their ethnic background, their genetic characteristics, or the country they were born in and become good little statists and patriots willing to, "die for their country," and kill anyone of any other country.

3. I have no idea what you mean by, " encroaching on the 'freedom' of others to run their businesses and get to work." How is someone who actually produces a product or service others benefit from and minds their own business and seeks nothing from anyone except what other's choose to their own benefit, "encroaching on the freedom of others? Why do you denigrate those who earn their own living and do not live at other's expense as welfare parasites or government subsidized predators?
Perhaps if you actually knew what goes on in countries other than your own piece of rock then you wouldn't have to ask most of this. Americans really do need to learn the meaning of the word 'irony' because it makes discussions with them tedious and draining. And I noticed how you made a big thing of your 'hard working 'ethnic friends'. Odd, for someone who claims that there is no such thing as nationality. What the fuck does their nationality have to do with the price of fish? Showing your 'ethnic prejudice'?

You need to learn how to 'quote' correctly, or at least look at your comment after posting it.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vegetariantaxidermy

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:32 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:04 am

Cooperation is two or more individuals each voluntarily agreeing to participate in something to their mutual benefit. When one or more of those individuals holds a gun to force participation of others in anything they would not otherwise have chosen to be part of, it is not cooperation, it is oppression. Cooperation does not require obedience or the use or threat of force to back it up. Laws do.
No one has ever pointed a gun at me. I also go about my daily life without ever agonising over whether or not I'm breaking some absurd law.
Your position is absurd. I'm over trying to discuss 'freedom' with idiot Americans.

ps. American is an ethnicity?

pps. If you don't want to be stereotyped then don't behave like a stereotype...