Worse than Watergate

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Re: Worse than Watergate

Post by henry quirk »

Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

RCSaunders wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:08 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:26 pm It is truly amazing how unininterested in truth this generation is.
Well that's true. They'll believe any lies that promise them unearned, "rights," or undeserved virtue--Republican lies, Democrat lies, Libertarian lies, religious lies, or anything else they believe will fulfill their desire for the easy , safe, and guaranteed.
Hey, we finally agree.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:02 pm I think that some law would have to have been broken for this to be compared with Watergate.

Can anyone tell me what laws are supposed to have been broken here, please?
I'm sure some judge can just make one up, but you are making a mistake if you take any of this seriously. It's just political show full of noise and excitement with absolutely no substance or importance.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

RCSaunders wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:13 pm
Sculptor wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:02 pm I think that some law would have to have been broken for this to be compared with Watergate.

I'm sure some judge can just make one up, but you are making a mistake if you take any of this seriously. It's just political show full of noise and excitement with absolutely no substance or importance.
Did you bother to click Henry's link? You should, before you decide there's nothing to it.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:36 pm

Did you bother to click Henry's link? You should, before you decide there's nothing to it.
Yes, I read the entire thing. None of it matters. People get all excited about one bunch of corrupt politicians doing something to another bunch of corrupt politicians, especially when it's the band of scoundrels they happen to be sycophants and supporters of. The price of chicken and rice will be the same tomorrow and you'll still have to go to work in the morning and none of this fear mongering and guilt-promoting nonsense will matter.

Anyone who has a real life to live and is doing anything that really matters will not have time or interest for this political nonsense.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

RCSaunders wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:42 pm
Yes, I read the entire thing. None of it matters.
Well, then you have to admit there's "substance" there. You may say, "It's not important to me," or "I don't want to hear about it"; but you can't say, "It's not happening."
Walker

Post by Walker »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:07 pm
Walker wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:13 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:39 pm They don't really know what you're talking about, W. The news is too new, and far too shocking for them to imagine.
History is being written right before our eyes, and everyone has access to the same information.
Not really. I mean, in theory, yes; but in actuality, no.
Everyone has the same information to source and assess, but not everyone will source, and not everyone can assess. Those who can’t assess will never-the-less, assess the other assessments they themselves could not assess. This is likely how folks get the notion that all opinions are equal on the basis that they are all opinions.

(Lead a horse to water ... assess, jackasses ... there's a joke in there somewhere to be discovered.)

However, you’re spot on with the gist of it.

Without a will to prosecute, and there currently is none, it will all fade away into a fog of obscuration. If the will to prosecute is to ever appear, it will be next year, after the elections.

That is a highly problematic proposition.

This is because whereas the Right plays by the rules, the Left is a street-fighting machine.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:44 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:42 pm
Yes, I read the entire thing. None of it matters.
Well, then you have to admit there's "substance" there. You may say, "It's not important to me," or "I don't want to hear about it"; but you can't say, "It's not happening."
I didn't say (or imply) it wasn't happening, only that it's significance is not what it's being put over as. The fact that politicians are doing something dishonest or crooked being presented as news is hilarious. If they did something right or honest, that would be news. Anyone shocked or impressed by any of this is simply naive. It is a shame that time and energy will be wasted investigating and processing this nonsense, wasting money confiscated from productive citizens on a boondoggle that cannot possibly benefit them.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

RCSaunders wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:47 pm The fact that politicians are doing something dishonest or crooked being presented as news is hilarious. If they did something right or honest, that would be news.
The problem with that theory is that people vote; and the joker they vote for gets to rule. And people vote based on what they think is true.

The "Russia collusion" got to be news on all the major networks; and that was apparently now completely false. This new scandal is evidently true, and it can't make even one major network? That should alarm us all.

It's clear that not just the politicians are corrupt, but that the media are helping them. So the voter's on his or her own, so far as the truth is concerned. From now on, there will be no good information offered upon which to premise a vote.

It was not always this way: the press used to regard itself as morally bound to be as impartial as possible. Being partisan was considered evidence of unprofessional, untrustworthy and unethical reportage. Even now, they rely totally on people believing that they still are ethical. But it's clear they're not.

And that has pretty serious consequences for democracy. So your cynicism may be warranted, but it doesn't make the problem go away.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

I'm not taking any of this seriously.
It makes me laugh that the usual suspects crawl out from under thier rocks and start flag waving for Trump.
It's quite shameful.
:lol:
Walker

Post by Walker »

Some on the Right are beginning to figure out that being bound to the rules, when the destroyers are determined to destroy the rules, is only handicapping the Right’s effectiveness, what with the weight of the white horse and shining armour.

Can you image fabricating and passing off a story about Trump in a Russian hotel room hiring hookers to pee on the bed because Obama had slept there. That little tid-bit of lying smear right there has the flavour of a projecting, drunken Hillary publically shamed by Slick Willy.

Trump did delight in purposely not knowing the role he was expected to fulfill as a Republican President. He was just so crass and embarrassing, so gauchely enthusiastic in his determination to do the Right thing for the people who gave him their trust.

Brandon only knows enough of trust to break it and then lie. 9000+ American citizens abandoned in Afghanistan, amongst other causes for impeachment that no one cares to source.

On the other hand, who actually thinks that Brandon is calling the shots. After all, he’s a race-car driver.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:11 pm
I'm not taking any of this seriously.
That's because you're a maroon, i.e., a cross between a moron and an idiot.

You can neither source, nor assess.

De Nile be big but time be bigger, and will drink it up.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:09 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:47 pm The fact that politicians are doing something dishonest or crooked being presented as news is hilarious. If they did something right or honest, that would be news.
The problem with that theory is that people vote; and the joker they vote for gets to rule. And people vote based on what they think is true.
The problem with that theory is that it is never right that what some number of people favor can be forced down other people's throats by a government.

The whole of democracy can be explained as the belief that any majority of people may rightly force anything they like on others.

"An election is nothing more than an advance auction of stolen goods." ---Ambrose Bierce

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the Public Treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits from the Public Treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy always followed by dictatorship." ---Alexander Fraser Tyler
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

RCSaunders wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:44 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:09 pm
The problem with that theory is that it is never right that what some number of people favor can be forced down other people's throats by a government.
Well, democracy is still far better than all the alternatives. So for now, we have to live with what we've got.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Background:

Hillary Clinton was the mastermind behind the Trump-Russia collusion hoax and may never face justice
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/hillary ... gg-jarrett

“The stunning revelation that lawyers for the Hillary Clinton campaign paid a computer technology company to surveil a sitting president, Donald Trump, shows that more than half a dozen crimes may have been committed to advance the false accusation that he colluded with Russia.

“Some background is in order. After a 22-month probe, Special Counsel Robert Mueller found no evidence of a criminal collusion conspiracy because none ever existed. U.S. Attorney John Durham was then tasked to investigate how the odious lie arose and whether crimes were perpetrated to accomplish it.”