Ukraine Crisis

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Ukraine Crisis

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:38 am
popeye1945 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:23 am
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:12 am

I used to possess awe and wonder. But it's difficult to keep those things alive while tranquilized on psychotropic meds. So I wish I could relate, however, very little stirs me to "awe" and "wonder" anymore. The only thing I wonder at this moment is whether God is punishing me, really.
I am sorry to hear you are so troubled, perhaps it is your past programming, tell me, were you born into a particular faith? If you want awe, go out into the country where it still gets dark and just open yourself to the cosmos, there is no grander cathedral than this.
Shortly after I was born, I became an atheist after watching Carl Sagan's Cosmos. I had a lot of awe and wonder back then. But controlling schizophrenia requires very powerful medication. So they give me very powerful medication. End of story. I've endured on medication for over 30 years.
Does medication give you control of your actions? Does lack of medication cause you to lose control of your actions?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:07 am
popeye1945 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:23 am

I am sorry to hear you are so troubled, perhaps it is your past programming, tell me, were you born into a particular faith? If you want awe, go out into the country where it still gets dark and just open yourself to the cosmos, there is no grander cathedral than this.
Shortly after I was born, I became an atheist after watching Carl Sagan's Cosmos. I had a lot of awe and wonder back then. But controlling schizophrenia requires very powerful medication. So they give me very powerful medication. End of story. I've endured on medication for over 30 years.
Does medication give you control of your actions? Does lack of medication cause you to lose control of your actions?
It prevents hallucinations and delusions. As far as actions are concerned, I am still a free agent of them.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:28 am
popeye1945 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:50 am

Shortly after I was born, I became an atheist after watching Carl Sagan's Cosmos. I had a lot of awe and wonder back then. But controlling schizophrenia requires very powerful medication. So, they give me very powerful medication. End of story. I've endured medication for over 30 years.
You do carry a heavy burden, at least acknowledge that much to yourself and take some pride in your own strength. I know enduring isn't the same as living a vital life but take what joys you can on your journey. If I were a religious person my prayers would be with you, some loving wishes will have to do. Take care Gary, my thoughts are with you!
Thank you, Popeye. I appreciate the wishes. If only wishes would make it so. As you know too well, in a world without religion, there isn't much hope of wishes becoming anything without work to make them so. But such is life. It's not all bad. I can always get back on a stable income through disability benefits, however, I've chosen to work for a living. It feels a little better at the end of the day. I just have a lot of difficulties really excelling in a "career" for the most part. My love life is pretty non-existent as well.
You seem to be taking a most intelligent approach to dealing with your burdens, it is particularly easy to fall into depression when one is not engaged with life, maintaining a working life is most important. A love life can be wonderful but it can also be a traumatic experience, personally I've never been much of a lady's man; they just don't cue up for some reason ----lol!! You have two things going for you, you're obviously intelligent with a fair amount of courage, many do not have that much buoyed them up. Take Care, Stay Strong----James [Popeye].
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

popeye1945 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:11 am
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:28 am
popeye1945 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:50 am

You do carry a heavy burden, at least acknowledge that much to yourself and take some pride in your own strength. I know enduring isn't the same as living a vital life but take what joys you can on your journey. If I were a religious person my prayers would be with you, some loving wishes will have to do. Take care Gary, my thoughts are with you!
Thank you, Popeye. I appreciate the wishes. If only wishes would make it so. As you know too well, in a world without religion, there isn't much hope of wishes becoming anything without work to make them so. But such is life. It's not all bad. I can always get back on a stable income through disability benefits, however, I've chosen to work for a living. It feels a little better at the end of the day. I just have a lot of difficulties really excelling in a "career" for the most part. My love life is pretty non-existent as well.
You seem to be taking a most intelligent approach to dealing with your burdens, it is particularly easy to fall into depression when one is not engaged with life, maintaining a working life is most important. A love life can be wonderful but it can also be a traumatic experience, personally I've never been much of a lady's man; they just don't cue up for some reason ----lol!! You have two things going for you, you're obviously intelligent with a fair amount of courage, many do not have that much buoyed them up. Take Care, Stay Strong----James [Popeye].
You as well.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:11 am
It prevents hallucinations and delusions. As far as actions are concerned, I am still a free agent of them.
Interesting. I didn't know that. I think actions are most important.

Everyone has delusions. I think the relationship of awareness to delusion is only significant when it leads to action.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:14 am

Everyone has delusions. I think the relationship of awareness to delusion is only significant when it leads to action.
Interesting. What sort of "delusions" do others have? And if so, why are they not on psychotropic meds where I am?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:17 am

Interesting. What sort of "delusions" do others have? And if so, why are they not on psychotropic meds where I am?
I think that's precisely the point.

The government's tacit approval of alcohol and pot use indicates a lot of self-medication going on.

I think the important thing, no matter the situation of mind or body, is to be attentive to what one has rather than the imaginings of what others have.

I think, based on your writings, that you stress what you've missed in life, while imagining what others have, without really knowing what they have. Everyone has their problems, their masters, their prisons, their delusions.

I think what matters most is the relationship with these externals that leads to action.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:24 am
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:17 am

I think that's precisely the point.

The government's tacit approval of alcohol and pot use indicates a lot of self-medication going on.

I think the important thing, no matter the situation of mind or body, is to be attentive to what one has rather than the imaginings of what others have.

I think, based on your writings, that you stress what you've missed in life, while imagining what others have, without really knowing what they have. Everyone has their problems, their masters, their prisons, their delusions.

I think what matters most is the relationship with these externals that leads to action.
:roll:
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary, this leads to a question. Upon careful consideration of all things I think that action is the dualistic relationship of body and mind with an external person, place, thing or creature. The meaning and purpose of duality is love, so that’s the rudder for everyone to do the right thing whether rich or poor, on meds or not, while navigating their relationship with hallucinations, delusions, or double-talk from the press concerning their political agendas in reporting the war in Ukraine.

The relevant question is, what’s the right thing regarding Ukraine?
Last edited by Walker on Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Suffice to say there's a significant difference between meds that make you high and ones that prevent delusions and a reason why people seek the former and not the latter.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Yeah.

The relevant question is, what’s the right thing regarding Ukraine?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:43 am The relevant question is, what’s the right thing regarding Ukraine?
OK. What do you believe is the right thing to do regarding Ukraine?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Suffice it to say, you've already ignored enough of what I've written here, and besides, it's your thread. Your topic.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:53 am Suffice it to say, you've already ignored enough of what I've written here, and besides, it's your thread. Your topic.
You're the one who allegedly wants to return to the topic, Walker. So by all means return to it. If you have nothing on topic to post in my thread, then maybe (according to your own prescription--which you apply to others but not yourself) you shouldn't be posting?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

"U.S. Plans to Send Abrams Tanks to Ukraine, Officials Say"
The Biden administration had resisted sending tanks, but the move is seen as likely to push Germany to approve the transfer of its own tanks.
New York Times

Month after month after month the war drags on. But of late there have been almost no references to the dreaded nuclear option.

So, it really comes down to whether Putin himself will never actually exercise that option...or if he has a line drawn in his head that once crossed by the West, prompts him to go there. Clearly if the West sends advanced weapons to Ukraine that result in Ukraine actually winning the war...?

And now Germany has agreed to send Leopard tanks.
Last edited by iambiguous on Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.