Ukraine Crisis

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Re: Ukraine Crisis

Post by Gary Childress »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:36 am Yes...
iambiguous wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:24 am8)
...you are blind.
if only you were mute too
Maybe his avatar needs to be a caveman too? Apparently, we should all have high aspirations?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:12 am
henry quirk wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:36 am Yes...
iambiguous wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:24 am8)
...you are blind.
Maybe his avatar needs to be a caveman too? Apparently, we should all have high aspirations?
Here's the perfect avatar for biggy...
7215ECED-9645-40B1-B9F7-557CB82A7E52.jpeg
7215ECED-9645-40B1-B9F7-557CB82A7E52.jpeg (110.58 KiB) Viewed 604 times
...you could use it too, Gary.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:27 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:12 am
henry quirk wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:36 am Yes......you are blind.
Here's the perfect avatar for biggy...7215ECED-9645-40B1-B9F7-557CB82A7E52.jpeg...you could use too, Gary.
What would be the point of it???
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"Yeah, but he has nukes. So before he dies..."

if P starts what could become a world wide exchange of low yield nuclear weapons between countries, i don't think this would be necessarily a bad thing. of course it might be a dystopian end for lawful society, but if you do it right you can keep the girl and get the gas anyway.

https://youtu.be/KN5FogkMpec
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Biden swaps prisoners for the 'citgo 6' days after the pipeline explodes between Russia and Germany?

This is either pure coincidence or Biden and his set in full gangsta mode. Top citgo executives indebted to you would be great assets to have during an energy crisis.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Holy mackerel I just found out that north Korea's standing and reserve troop number is as much as all NATO troops combined. Y'all better hope this don't end up a land war in Asia.

"Never get involved in a land war in Asia" - Vizzini, The Classic Blunders
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

No, really, this takes some of us way back. Back to the days of the Cuban Missile Crisis...the days when this pervasive sense of doom seemed to be popping up everywhere.

It hasn't reached that level yet this time around, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if it is just a matter of a few days around the corner before it does.

Only this time it's not Khrushchev and Kennedy, it's Putin and Biden.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/01/worl ... reats.html

In Washington, Putin’s Nuclear Threats Stir Growing Alarm

In a gathering Cold War atmosphere, American officials are gaming out responses should Russia resort to battlefield nuclear weapons.

WASHINGTON — For the first time since the Cuban Missile Crisis in October 1962, top government leaders in Moscow are making explicit nuclear threats and officials in Washington are gaming out scenarios should President Vladimir V. Putin decide to use a tactical nuclear weapon to make up for the failings of Russian troops in Ukraine.

In a speech on Friday, Mr. Putin raised the prospect anew, calling the United States and NATO enemies seeking Russia’s collapse and declaring again that he would use “all available means” to defend Russian territory — which he has now declared includes four provinces of eastern Ukraine.

Mr. Putin reminded the world of President Harry S. Truman’s decision to drop atomic weapons on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan, 77 years ago, adding, “By the way, they created a precedent.” On Saturday, the strongman leader of the southern Russian republic of Chechnya, Ramzan Kadyrov, said Mr. Putin should consider using “low-yield nuclear weapons” in Ukraine, becoming the first prominent Russian official to openly call for such a strike.

Hope...?

Senior American officials say they think the chances that Mr. Putin would employ a nuclear weapon remain low. They say they have seen no evidence that he is moving any of his nuclear assets, and a recent Pentagon analysis suggests the military benefits would be few. And the cost for Mr. Putin — in a furious international response, perhaps even from the Chinese, whose support he needs most — could be tremendous.

Definitely stay tuned for this one.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

is this the last great stand of the european male against the Zionist leftism in the west and the asian hordes in the east?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

In a speech on Friday, Mr. Putin raised the prospect anew, calling the United States and NATO enemies seeking Russia’s collapse and declaring again that he would use “all available means” to defend Russian territory — which he has now declared includes four provinces of eastern Ukraine.

Give the child what it wants. Let him have the four provinces. Good grief.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

He got Crimea and it wasn't enough.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

phyllo wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:34 pm He got Crimea and it wasn't enough.
Well, that's true. The guy is like a plague on humanity. However, IC is maybe right, he might go to nukes if he's faced with danger to himself (no matter all the deaths of others he's caused in his personal decision to invade). What do we do if the little tyrant uses nukes? What does anyone do? It would likely result in catastrophic loss of more lives, as well as a lot of radiation drifting around the planet. On the positive side, maybe the Russian people will eventually grow a conscience and toss the little shit out of office. (Although, the Germans didn't seem to do that with Hitler.) Either that or someone needs to talk the little toad off the ledge.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

He is weak now, so there is a prime opportunity for an associate to take him out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... olf_Hitler
:evil:
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:54 am Now, after all his antics, he feels "unsafe"? If we give in to his antics, do you think that'll appease the guy?
Oh, no...I'm not suggesting we "appease" him, Gary. He's got to be backed off...no question.

Appeasing's what we'd be doing if we handed him pieces of the Ukraine, or the whole country, and said, "Please stop now." That would be appeasing; and as our experience with Hitler taught us, one never does that with despots. No, we need to reclaim Ukraine for Ukraine, for sure...but not for Zelenski, who is a Putin-type himself, it seems. Putin needs to lose all the territory he stole.

But that's not what Biden's doing. Biden has committed the US to what's called "regime change," meaning that Putin has to be ousted. Biden said (and I quote) "“For God’s sake, this man cannot remain in power” and then called him a "butcher" and a "war criminal" publicly (Washington Post, et al). His aides tried to walk that comment back: but if Putin takes Biden seriously, then it's very bad news for us. It means that Biden has given Putin reason to think the US is committed to deposing him...which for him, almost certainly means at least incarceration for life, but more likely violent, nasty death at the hands of those who hate him or would replace him.

You don't back an animal into a corner. If you do, you're going to get bitten. Putin's a nasty piece of work; you don't tell him he's got no options, if you don't want him to nuke somebody. I'm pretty sure he's the kind of guy who'll do it...especially if he thinks "regime change" is in the offing.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:58 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:54 am Now, after all his antics, he feels "unsafe"? If we give in to his antics, do you think that'll appease the guy?
Oh, no...I'm not suggesting we "appease" him, Gary. He's got to be backed off...no question.

Appeasing's what we'd be doing if we handed him pieces of the Ukraine, or the whole country, and said, "Please stop now." That would be appeasing; and as our experience with Hitler taught us, one never does that with despots. No, we need to reclaim Ukraine for Ukraine, for sure...but not for Zelenski, who is a Putin-type himself, it seems. Putin needs to lose all the territory he stole.

But that's not what Biden's doing. Biden has committed the US to what's called "regime change," meaning that Putin has to be ousted. Biden said (and I quote) "“For God’s sake, this man cannot remain in power” and then called him a "butcher" and a "war criminal" publicly (Washington Post, et al). His aides tried to walk that comment back: but if Putin takes Biden seriously, then it's very bad news for us. It means that Biden has given Putin reason to think the US is committed to deposing him...which for him, almost certainly means at least incarceration for life, but more likely violent, nasty death at the hands of those who hate him or would replace him.

You don't back an animal into a corner. If you do, you're going to get bitten. Putin's a nasty piece of work; you don't tell him he's got no options, if you don't want him to nuke somebody. I'm pretty sure he's the kind of guy who'll do it...especially if he thinks "regime change" is in the offing.
Why do you say that Zelinski is a "Putin type"?

As far as calling for regime change, I agree, that's not a tactful move on Biden's part. Although, I wonder if it really makes all that much difference in the scheme of things. Putin has enough enemies and enough reason to fear for his life regardless of what Biden says. I wouldn't put it past him to be rattling the nuclear saber even if Biden had told him he was sending roses.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:26 am Why do you say that Zelinski is a "Putin type"?
He's not a nice guy, either. Google "Zelensky corruption," and read a few articles. Even the Leftist ones, like NPR, will tell you that Zelensky himself is no poster boy for democracy. He's just another petty, middle-European oligarch...but nowhere near as influential as Putin.
As far as calling for regime change, I agree, that's not a tactful move on Biden's part. Although, I wonder if it really makes all that much difference in the scheme of things. Putin has enough enemies and enough reason to fear for his life regardless of what Biden says. I wouldn't put it past him to be rattling the nuclear saber even if Biden had told him he was sending roses.
I don't think so. Nuclear weapons can't help him deal with his internal enemies, for precisely the reason that they are internal. He'll need to ferret out and eliminate his rivals on his own territories; and he'll need assassinations, purges and secret police for jobs like that. He cannot easily nuke his own people or his own territory. So how would the nuclear stockpile help him with that? It wouldn't.

But if a superpower threatens him from outside his regime, that's different. Then, his "big stick" is the nuclear arms he holds.

And Biden's doing that. He's basically forcing Putin to play hardball with the nukes.