Ukraine Crisis

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

popeye1945

Re: Ukraine Crisis

Post by popeye1945 »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:42 pm
popeye1945 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:19 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:55 pm

What has "America" done that is so uniquely hateful, that other countries and their leaders have not also done? I don't excuse what we have done but I cannot excuse other countries for what they have done either. I just want strife and destruction to end. That's all. I'm not omniscient, and I assume neither are you but I'd rather see an end to war and a beginning of peace and cooperation in which to solve or mitigate the environmental crisis.
"Those who fight monsters, must beware of becoming one." At the end of World War two America was the last man standing, it became the monster that had been defeated."
We helped rebuild Europe and parts of Asia. We tried to assist South Vietnam but North Vietnam didn't want that. They were supplied with arms and aid from China and Russia with which to invade South Vietnam. South Vietnam did not invade North Vietnam. Were we wrong to send our own soldiers to defend South Vietnam? It seems so to me. We should just let other parts of the world work out their own problems. That is the "isolationist" attitude that has also been present in America since World War 1 (when we went to the aid of Britain, France and the other countries aligned with them).
The reason you don't hear about America's crimes against humanity is your corporate-owned news outlets. When you know longer hear the voice of the global community you know you are being programmed. Why do you think the world is uniting so? The answer is, the world has a common enemy, an enemy with the greatest war machine the world has ever seen. They thought they could subdue the world with their military might, this is the surprise they did not count on, a united front. Ukraine's people are dying as puppets to America's aggression, unfortunate but true. Compassion is one thing America is profoundly lacking, as the world knows from its past experiences.

I've read a number of Noam Chomsky's writings, therefore I know of a lot of terrible things that have been attributed to the CIA and US military as well as the corporate elite. I'm not in any position of leadership or authority to do much those things other than complain on the Internet, however, they seem little worse to me than the genocide that "Marxist" governments have allegedly inflicted on their own people. Mao and Stalin are said to have done great harm to their own populations. Should my government have fought to "save" countries near them. No. I think we should have minded our own business. Our efforts quickly translated into profit opportunities for arms manufacturers and other people seeking to profit.
You seem to think you are the only one here moved by human suffering, but obviously you have not been moved by the world at large suffering. Think for just a moment, what would unite such a scattering of nations to unite, ponder for awhile.
Not at all. I have been imploring everyone I know of to put an end to wars and strife. I have maintained a position that the war in Ukraine must end and that Putin needs to be given concessions in order to make that possible. You have completely mischaracterized my position. Why?

I can only understand what I have read and heard. I have read and heard that there are conflicts all over the world right now. Those conflicts need to end and I have stated clearly that the world needs to focus on stabilizing the ecosystem which we are a part of. That means putting down weapons and seeking solutions such as alternative energy or alternative ways of living.

Is there some need to all these wars in the world that I'm hearing about? Is there some need for the wars to happen in the streets of America? We are a relatively diverse society from most in the world. We have many people from different nations, races and ethnicities. Should we break out and fight each other in the streets? War against wars is not a solution. Peace for the sake of peace seems like a better solution to me.
I appreciate your humanity and passion for suffering, but you really do need to ponder what brings all these diverse nations together in a united front. America never has been what it proports to be. If all the mythology America has created about itself were unraveled a stark monster would be facing you. I mentioned America after the second world war being the last man standing, which is very true. America profited from both World War one and two. Their mythology tells the world that it was they who defeated the Nazi war machine, when in fact it was the Russians that crushed that monster war machine and chased it all the way back to Germany. The world sees America for what it is, a blight upon the earth, with their belief that might makes right, well today, their might has been checkmated. Again, as in Vietnam, the Americans are playing checkers with a strong military when the real game is chess, stupid with a gun, is only master for the moment.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

popeye1945 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:30 pm The world sees America for what it is, a blight upon the earth, with their belief that might makes right, well today, their might has been checkmated.
That is a powerful word to ascribe to a nation of many different people with many different visions and occupations and beliefs. Do you wish to see us eradicated, as if we are smallpox or something? Again, this sounds like scapegoating to me or else the seeking of a human sacrifice.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:35 pm
popeye1945 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:30 pm The world sees America for what it is, a blight upon the earth, with their belief that might makes right, well today, their might has been checkmated.
That is a powerful word to ascribe to a nation of many different people with many different visions and occupations and beliefs. Do you wish to see us eradicated, as if we are smallpox or something? Again, this sounds like scapegoating to me or else the seeking of a human sacrifice.
No, people need to know what is done in their name. Eisenhower warned the people of the evil military-industrial complex, and that is what America is today. One needs to ask oneself, what is the nature of the system and if it is evil, is that what I serve? It is not the intention of the people, but the people are treated like so many cattle, and when this is so, evil empires arise. The America empire is just as evil as the Nazi/German or Facist empires of the past, and like empires of past America has over extended itself.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

popeye1945 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:21 pm
No, people need to know what is done in their name. Eisenhower warned the people of the evil military-industrial complex, and that is what America is today. One needs to ask oneself, what is the nature of the system and if it is evil, is that what I serve? It is not the intention of the people, but the people are treated like so many cattle, and when this is so, evil empires arise. The America empire is just as evil as the Nazi/German or Facist empires of the past, and like empires of past America has over extended itself.
That I can agree with.

I have seen a lot of evil done in the name of those of us who vote and have voted in the past. The last time I voted in the Presidential election I voted for Hillery Clinton--thinking I was voting to prevent a "wild man" (in the words of Noam Chomsky) from getting into the White House. Later during Trump's administration, I noticed that Hillary Clinton made a suggestion for the US to bomb the Russian airfields in Syria. I am very sorry I voted for Hillary Clinton in that election as a result of that later rhetoric of hers.

I did not vote in the election between Biden and Trump. I saw no clear right answer in that election. I will say I have read a lot of the writings of Noam Chomsky and (contrary to what some people seem to think) Chomsky is also critical of the Democrats when they have used the military for their purposes or backed the further accumulation of wealth on the part of their patrons and donors.

I don't know the answer to this problem, however, I see as much evil being done by the Chinese and North Korean governments to their own people. They favor stability which is fine to a point, however, they will not tolerate people protesting to save themselves from poverty. I understand China recently cracked down on poor people who protested the loss of their life savings when some of the rich literally fled the country with the money they needed to keep the banks afloat, making it impossible for the poor to get money.

In the US, investors, on the other hand, lack appropriate direction and invest in wasteful projects that only further destroy the ecological health of the land we occupy. That is a fact as of what I am witnessing right now in my state, Florida. Developers are creating high-end housing that local workers cannot afford to live in and therefore it is getting more and more difficult to find affordable housing for those who work low-end jobs. I have lived with my parents all my life, so I have been able to work some of the basic jobs where my parents have lived and allowed me to live with them.

Florida has a large homeless population and has the most vacant homes in it, from what I hear. My area, Orlando, alone is said to have 161,000 vacant homes. And yet builders and "developers" are STILL tearing down places where thickets of trees once stood sporadically surviving between residential communities, in order to build more houses or shopping conveniences such as restaurants or "dollar stores" as they are called. It is CRIMINAL!
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"Does your mom know you're using her computer?"

i have my own computer - an IBM PC junior - and I'm quite experienced at using it, thank u. in fact i just got a new memory card so I'm fuckin flyin now bro.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

promethean75 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:27 pm "Does your mom know you're using her computer?"

i have my own computer - an IBM PC junior - and I'm quite experienced at using it, thank u. in fact i just got a new memory card so I'm fuckin flyin now bro.
promethean,

My apologies, a little misdirected hostility from another area of my life. Again, my apology.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

You're just trying to make me feel better because u pity me for having an IBM PC Jr. Well I don't want your pity. I'm happy with who I am.

there may be no atheists in foxholes, but there are naked Russians

that poor guy is so ready to go home. look at em. how did i end up sitting in a hole with my pants down trying to hide from an armed drone that's trying to kill me.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

promethean75 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 3:34 pm You're just trying to make me feel better because u pity me for having an IBM PC Jr. Well I don't want your pity. I'm happy with who I am.

there may be no atheists in foxholes, but there are naked Russians

that poor guy is so ready to go home. look at em. how did i end up sitting in a hole with my pants down trying to hide from an armed drone that's trying to kill me.
In all wars god is on both sides and enjoying the carnage.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Neologism alert

Culturequake? A magnitude 9 on the Bakhtin-Losev-Averintsev-Gachev-Lotman-Ivanov-Toporov-Markarian scale.

Deceased: 400 million
Injured: 600 million
Damage: $9 trillion

C'est la vie.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:00 pm

That I can agree with.

I have seen a lot of evil done in the name of those of us who vote and have voted in the past. The last time I voted in the Presidential election I voted for Hillery Clinton--thinking I was voting to prevent a "wild man" (in the words of Noam Chomsky) from getting into the White House. Later during Trump's administration, I noticed that Hillary Clinton made a suggestion for the US to bomb the Russian airfields in Syria. I am very sorry I voted for Hillary Clinton in that election as a result of that later rhetoric of hers.

I did not vote in the election between Biden and Trump. I saw no clear right answer in that election. I will say I have read a lot of the writings of Noam Chomsky and (contrary to what some people seem to think) Chomsky is also critical of the Democrats when they have used the military for their purposes or backed the further accumulation of wealth on the part of their patrons and donors.

I don't know the answer to this problem, however, I see as much evil being done by the Chinese and North Korean governments to their own people. They favor stability which is fine to a point, however, they will not tolerate people protesting to save themselves from poverty. I understand China recently cracked down on poor people who protested the loss of their life savings when some of the rich literally fled the country with the money they needed to keep the banks afloat, making it impossible for the poor to get money.

In the US, investors, on the other hand, lack appropriate direction and invest in wasteful projects that only further destroy the ecological health of the land we occupy. That is a fact as of what I am witnessing right now in my state, Florida. Developers are creating high-end housing that local workers cannot afford to live in and therefore it is getting more and more difficult to find affordable housing for those who work low-end jobs. I have lived with my parents all my life, so I have been able to work some of the basic jobs where my parents have lived and allowed me to live with them.

Florida has a large homeless population and has the most vacant homes in it, from what I hear. My area, Orlando, alone is said to have 161,000 vacant homes. And yet builders and "developers" are STILL tearing down places where thickets of trees once stood sporadically surviving between residential communities, in order to build more houses or shopping conveniences such as restaurants or "dollar stores" as they are called. It is CRIMINAL!
It is complex sorting out a righteous path, at least you are listening to a fine mind in Norm Chomsky. Republicans call him a radical, which to the rest of us means an intellectual. To Republicans an intellectual is someone with a fresh haircut and a new suit. Just remember that governments tend to demonize in manipulating the public. You are an intelligent chap, most people don't put nearly as much thought into political beliefs, somewhat like religious beliefs. Just don't let it stress you out, take a walk and get some fresh air Gary.
Jeembo

Post by Jeembo »

That I can agree with.

Regarding homeless - it's not only Florida problem, here in Portland homeless are pretty much everywhere and every shelter is occupied to the brim. But instead of building more of those we get some random useless stuff to entertain the crowd for 10 minutes, meanwhile so many people are stuck in the streets...
All that investors care about are profits, and margin is much higher for high-end projects, where people don't care if they overpay several times for a form over function. It's just more profit per patch of land occupied, kinda what happens when you leave 'em unchecked and let "market" rule it out...
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Jeembo wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:54 am

That I can agree with.

Regarding homeless - it's not only Florida problem, here in Portland homeless are pretty much everywhere and every shelter is occupied to the brim. But instead of building more of those we get some random useless stuff to entertain the crowd for 10 minutes, meanwhile so many people are stuck in the streets...
All that investors care about are profits, and margin is much higher for high-end projects, where people don't care if they overpay several times for a form over function. It's just more profit per patch of land occupied, kinda what happens when you leave 'em unchecked and let "market" rule it out...
A striking sign of the fall of the American empire, one the world is rejoicing in. Honest Abe, " A house divided cannot stand."
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

That I can agree with.

Well, some argue that welfare for the rich is the problem, and that "unfettered" markets and less government are the answer because then the rich wouldn't have the institutional means to artificially stack the cards in their favor under those circumstances. I don't know how sound those arguments are but countries that pursue "socialism" or "big government" or whatever one wishes to call it, seem to have problems too. So I don't know what the answer is. It's difficult for me to tell what is propaganda and what isn't anymore.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

popeye1945 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:32 pm

That I can agree with.

A striking sign of the fall of the American empire, one the world is rejoicing in. Honest Abe, " A house divided cannot stand."
I'd probably rejoice if I thought any of the stuff happening in the US doesn't also happen in other countries too. But that doesn't seem to be the case as far as I've heard. But maybe I'm just "raining on the parade", though?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:46 pm
popeye1945 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:32 pm
Regarding homelessness - it's not only Florida's problem, here in Portland homeless are pretty much everywhere and every shelter is occupied to the brim. But instead of building more of those we get some random useless stuff to entertain the crowd for 10 minutes, meanwhile so many people are stuck in the streets...
All that investors care about are profits, and the margin is much higher for high-end projects, where people don't care if they overpay several times for a form over function. It's just more profit per patch of land occupied, kind of what happens when you leave 'em unchecked and let the "market" rule it out...
I'd probably rejoice if I thought any of the stuff happening in the US doesn't also happen in other countries too. But that doesn't seem to be the case as far as I've heard. But maybe I'm just "raining on the parade", though?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
America became an egocentric brutal master, striving for world domination. This of course is and was out of the realistic realm of the rest of the world. It is human nature of course; one could say if others acquired such power and such a monster military war machine, they would have done the same. What gave birth to this monster, it is traceable. It could have been another nation that played this role, the previous such monster was the Germany Nazi war machine, so yes, this is something humanity must guard against, and this is what is happening with the rise of the BRICS and the myriad of countries joining its ranks. The American war machine represents the dark side of human nature, one that must be brought under control for the sake of the world community.