unpacking a moral realism: a companion to 'libertarianism in practice'

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

FlashDangerpants

Re: unpacking a moral realism: a companion to 'libertarianism in practice'

Post by FlashDangerpants »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:53 am As a man recognizes the other's ownness: murder, enslavement, rape, theft are recognized as the violations of the other's ownness, and as impermissible, and self-defense, defense of other, defense of property are recognized as permissible, perhaps even obligatory.

The other is his own as I am my own. His life, liberty, and property are his as mine is mine. To murder him, enslave him, rape him, steal from him is wrong in the same way it would be wrong if I were murdered, enslaved, raped, or stolen from.
I'm sorry, are these the lines that you think answer my question? They don't.

What principle moves you from "I belong to me" to "murder, enslavement, rape, theft are recognized as the violations of the other's ownness" if not reciprocity or the badness of hypocrisy?

It's not a trick question. What is the matter of reason that disallows, I belong to me, so everything I can bring under my control also belongs to me, including you.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I'm sorry, are these the lines that you think answer my question? They don't.

Yeah, they do, if you admit moral fact. You don't.

Here's the queer thing: it took me 6 pages of back & forth to get that, 6 pages to get that I'll never move you. You won't admit moral fact: you said it over and over, in a variety of ways, over the course of those 6 pages; I saw it but willfully wouldn't see it. When I say a man belongs to himself it means nuthin' to you. Man is just clever meat, Reality just a rudderless affair: this is your position. I get that: wasn't too many years ago I thought and said the same. There's a gulf between us I can't bridge. And to be fair: your position is as alien to me now as mine is to you. You can't move me either. I admit moral fact.

Anyway: I've wasted your time with this thread, I think.

But, I didn't find it a waste: as I say, you got me to thinkin', here and in the companion thread. 👍
FlashDangerpants

henry quirk wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:43 am I'm sorry, are these the lines that you think answer my question? They don't.

Yeah, they do, if you admit moral fact. You don't.

Here's the queer thing: it took me 6 pages of back & forth to get that, 6 pages to get that I'll never move you. You won't admit moral fact: you said it over and over, in a variety of ways, over the course of those 6 pages; I saw it but willfully wouldn't see it. When I say a man belongs to himself it means nuthin' to you. Man is just clever meat, Reality just a rudderless affair: this is your position. I get that: wasn't too many years ago I thought and said the same. There's a gulf between us I can't bridge. And to be fair: your position is as alien to me now as mine is to you. You can't move me either. I admit moral fact.

Anyway: I've wasted your time with this thread, I think.

But, I didn't find it a waste: as I say, you got me to thinkin', here and in the companion thread. 👍
You keep blaming me for you not being able to answer simple questions. The answer was fairness, the secret thing you aren't able to admit to yourself is that your 3 has a dependency on being fair and without that it's total bullshit.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

You keep blaming me

didn't blame you, guy
FlashDangerpants

henry quirk wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:43 am if you admit moral fact. You don't.
You are blaming me.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:20 am
henry quirk wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:43 am if you admit moral fact. You don't.
You are blaming me.
nope

'nuff said
FlashDangerpants

The 3...
A man belongs to himself.
A man's life and property are his.
A man's life, liberty, and property are only forfeit, in part or whole, when he knowingly, willingly, without just cause, deprives another, in part or whole, of life, liberty, or property.

The equally valid 3...
He must guard his property or else lose it to conquest, the strongest always wins.

Another arbitrary 3...
All lives are equally valuable and all men should therefore have equal property too.

Let's have another 3...
A man's life, liberty, and property are only forfeit if he doesn't share his property with those in need.

The third line is just the one you happen to like, it isn't a logical derivation of the first two. It's entirely contingent.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:10 pm Scott: For Each Person as a class of society, what 'property' do each of them have equally distributed other than one's mere body?

me: none

scott: So then no 'property' should be permitted beyond one's physical capacity to hold it? That was what should be inferred.

I got no clue how you arrived at no 'property' should be permitted beyond one's physical capacity to hold from me sayin' there's no equal distribution of property.
You responded 'none' without proper FULL interpretation of the question. I am both questioning and stating. I am asserting that one's own body is all that "property" can be agreed to minimally mean for all people. That is, the lowest possible "equality" of value or meaning for each person as 'proper' is the equity or value of their own physical body. So anything BEYOND that (to which I thought you were meaning by 'none') does not have an agreed ideal for what is proper to own beyond themselves and their own labor.
Scott, really, go read this thread's companion, and this thread in its entirety: some of your questions about property and ownership will be answered.
That assumes way too much. You appear to disagree with what I am saying but expect me to be motivated to seek out why I am wrong elsewhere?

"Property ownership" beyond one's personal needs is 'luxury' by contrast. And so even claims upon land as 'property' is not a necessary feature of our individual selves by any nature other than what the collection of people decide to define such privileges as. That is, there is no Natural (nor God-given) 'right' to own anything other than your own local needs but in light of a good society, WE negotiate the degrees to which limits we allow for each other's privilege to rule as 'property' in a community or we are not a community.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

where's liberty, guy? without liberty, life and property are for shit

He must guard his property or else lose it to conquest, the strongest always wins.

yes, he must...truth is, the most clever usually wins

All lives are equally valuable and all men should therefore have equal property too.

marxist manure

A man's life, liberty, and property are only forfeit if he doesn't share his property with those in need.

very catholic
FlashDangerpants

henry quirk wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:32 pm A man's life and property are his.

where's liberty, guy? without liberty, life and property are for shit

yes, he must...truth is, the most clever usually wins

marxist manure

very catholic
Yes, the third line is arbitrary, it has no very important relationship to the first two.
It doesn't derive from them, any old shit can go there to more or less the same effect.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Henry Quirk. The next Thomas Jefferson, or George Jefferson?

You decide
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I am asserting that one's own body is all that "property" can be agreed to minimally mean for all people. That is, the lowest possible "equality" of value or meaning for each person as 'proper' is the equity or value of their own physical body. So anything BEYOND that (to which I thought you were meaning by 'none') does not have an agreed ideal for what is proper to own beyond themselves and their own labor.

I said none becuz -- as I say -- there's no equal distribution of property

If joe has 6 X, as long as he arrived at them without theft, those 6 X are his...he can share them as he likes or not

stan, who only has 3 X, has no claim on any part of joe's 6 X unless joe stole from stan, in which case stan has a claim against joe for those stolen Xs

That assumes way too much. You appear to disagree with what I am saying but expect me to be motivated to seek out why I am wrong elsewhere?

and you expect me to be motivated to repeat myself: if, in one way or another, I've already answered your questions in previous posts, isn't it a time and energy saver for both of us if you just just review the relevant threads? there's only 2 and neither is long

"Property ownership" beyond one's personal needs is 'luxury' by contrast.

so what? joe has 6X, he only needs 2X, the other 4 are luxury (personally, I think that extra 4 are an albatross), but he's taken on the responsibility of that extra 4 and, if he didn't steal 'em, I can't see how it's anybody's concerni

And so even claims upon land as 'property' is not a necessary feature of our individual selves by any nature other than what the collection of people decide to define such privileges as.

I think, as the expression goes, mixing one's labor with the soil does confer a right to it. Sensibly, can you look at a farmer, on his tractor, tilling, and say that field isn't his? would you claim he has no right to it? hundreds of hours and many seasons of labor on that plot and his claim to it is mere privilege?

or my property (a small yard, a modest house): I've invested my time, energy, and money in to it. you'd say I have no real claim to it? you'd say I have no right to it?

That is, there is no Natural (nor God-given) 'right' to own anything other than your own local needs

yeah, I disagree...I'm a deist...I believe God created man with self-possession, reason, conscience, free will, and purpose...property -- that which we create, that which we make our own thru labors, that which we transact for -- is part & parcel of us as we are ourselves are our first, best properties

but in light of a good society, WE negotiate the degrees to which limits we allow for each other's privilege to rule as 'property' in a community or we are not a community.

my take...
henry quirk wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:53 am
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

promethean75 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:17 pm Henry Quirk. The next Thomas Jefferson, or George Jefferson?

You decide
that weezy had some cushion for the pushin'
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Yes, the third line is arbitrary,

only if you leave off liberty
FlashDangerpants

The 3...
A man's life, liberty, and property are his.
A man's life, liberty, and property are only forfeit, in part or whole, when he knowingly, willingly, without just cause, deprives another, in part or whole, of life, liberty, or property.

The equally valid 3...
He must guard his property and liberty or else lose them to conquest, the strongest always wins.

Another arbitrary 3...
All lives are equally valuable and all men should therefore have equal property too. And Liberty too.

Let's have another 3...

The third line is just the one you happen to like, it isn't a logical derivation of the first two. It's entirely contingent.

The addition of liberty makes no difference at all, it was a trivial typo.

MORE 3...
A man's life, liberty, and property are only forfeit, in part or whole, when he uses either irrationally.

YET MORE 3...
A man's life, liberty, and property are only forfeit, in part or whole, when he fucks a corpse or a chicken.