The Ahmaud Arbery affair

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: The Ahmaud Arbery affair

Post by Walker »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:32 pm
Walker wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:27 pm How's it working out?
Very very well.
:thumbsup:
Walker

Post by Walker »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:46 pm Those who keep weapons, and know how to use them (the man who shot Arbery had some police training and served in the police force at one time, in addition to the Coast Guard) keep their weapons more or less at the ready -- loaded, but not necessarily with a chambered round, though those who carried concealed handguns are advised to keep a round chambered but obviously uncocked and with the safety on.
In the movies, an unchambered shotgun is often used to detain adversaries. Then there’s a lot of chitchat by the hero and villain about their dramas, then the guy or gal, or guy/gal, or gal/guy … the person with the shotgun then racks the slide, loading up the shell. This means that the person was either pointing an unloaded weapon, or de person was ejecting a load and perhaps racking up another shell.

What it really means in terms of the situation, which in the movies is a situation of either drama or comedy, is the sound. The sound of a shell racking means it’s business time, which means, escalation.

I once saw a movie, or maybe it was a TV show, where the guy with the gun racked it twice, while detaining another guy rather than filling him full of lead. In that situation of movie drama, racking twice means that now he really really means business.

In real life the detained one fights for his life, and in the commotion of pushing and pulling, twisting and yanking of the big muscle groups grabbing for the gun, the crucial finger twitches.

Those fellas who killed Aubrey probably have an idea of what movie-prison is like.
Walker

Post by Walker »

My view is that one needs to find a way to *keep one's wits about one* ...
Yes.
Be mindful of trespass.
It is possible for a human lion to live, when mindful of the situation.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

commonsense wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:22 pm
Skepdick wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:46 pm
commonsense wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:53 pm Since the shooter brought a shotgun, wouldn’t he be planning to execute Arbery? I don’t know. It’s a stretch anyway.
You can't make such jumps in conclusion towards establishing mens rea.

Carrying a gun is no more indication of intent to kill; than wearing a seatbelt is an intent to have a car accident.
As I said, it’s a stretch.
Carrying a gun is as much an intention to use it as sitting in a car with the keys is an intention to drive a car.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:31 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:44 pmThere is no such word as 'gotten' (the only noteworthy part of your disingenuous pompous drivel).
Light up everyting gwarn be iree . . .
Don't try to gaslight me you phony fuckwit.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:59 pmDon't try to gaslight me you phony fuckwit.
You seem a very very grumpy person.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:34 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:59 pmDon't try to gaslight me you phony fuckwit.
You seem a very very grumpy person.
:lol: