Can the New York Times do reviews, of individual supermarket employees in England?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

trokanmariel

Can the New York Times do reviews, of individual supermarket employees in England?

Post by trokanmariel »

Is it a sound political philosophy, for the New York Times to do reviews, or commentaries, of people who work as employees at supermarkets in the UK, in the context that the reviews are criticisms, like how movie journalists do reviews of movies?
commonsense

Re: Can the New York Times do reviews, of individual supermarket employees in England?

Post by commonsense »

trokanmariel wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:08 pm Is it a sound political philosophy, for the New York Times to do reviews, or commentaries, of people who work as employees at supermarkets in the UK, in the context that the reviews are criticisms, like how movie journalists do reviews of movies?
It sounds a little like spying on private citizens who have not been newsworthy.

It may be legal to do so according to British law (I don’t know) but the motivation behind publishing editorials and op-eds about private citizens without noteworthy events seems unkind.
trokanmariel

Re: Can the New York Times do reviews, of individual supermarket employees in England?

Post by trokanmariel »

commonsense wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:52 pm
trokanmariel wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:08 pm Is it a sound political philosophy, for the New York Times to do reviews, or commentaries, of people who work as employees at supermarkets in the UK, in the context that the reviews are criticisms, like how movie journalists do reviews of movies?
It sounds a little like spying on private citizens who have not been newsworthy.

It may be legal to do so according to British law (I don’t know) but the motivation behind publishing editorials and op-eds about private citizens without noteworthy events seems unkind.
I find it very fascinating, how you ended the reply; "seems unkind" - would you mind elaborating a bit on it?
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

Can they? Sure.

Would they? No.
trokanmariel

Post by trokanmariel »

Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:03 pm Can they? Sure.

Would they? No.
Why do you think they wouldn't?
Terrapin Station

trokanmariel wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:12 pm

Would they? No.
The same reason that they're not going to start a daily feature about arbitrary shells they find on the Jersey Shore. What would be the motivation for it? Who is asking for it? How would it help increase their readership or revenue?

They don't publish just any random thing that someone thinks of.
trokanmariel

Post by trokanmariel »

Terrapin Station wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:27 am

Would they? No.
The same reason that they're not going to start a daily feature about arbitrary shells they find on the Jersey Shore. What would be the motivation for it? Who is asking for it? How would it help increase their readership or revenue?

How do you make the comparison, between the question and arbitrary shells on Jersey shore, if you don't mind me asking?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

trokanmariel wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:59 pm

How do you make the comparison, between the question and arbitrary shells on Jersey shore, if you don't mind me asking?
The comparison is rather easy to decipher. One interpretation is that arbitrary shells on the Jersey shore are like individual employees at the supermarket in that both are of little interest to the news-reading public. Neither is in any way newsworthy. Neither will increase circulation or profits.
trokanmariel

Post by trokanmariel »

commonsense wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:38 pm

The comparison is rather easy to decipher. One interpretation is that arbitrary shells on the Jersey shore are like individual employees at the supermarket in that both are of little interest to the news-reading public. Neither is in any way newsworthy. Neither will increase circulation or profits.

Why are they not newsworthy?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

no self respecting artilleryman believes in arbitrary shells...

to say nothing of tacos...

-Imp
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

trokanmariel wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:00 pm

I find it very fascinating, how you ended the reply; "seems unkind" - would you mind elaborating a bit on it?
You do know, don’t you, that if you’re a bot you have to say so?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

commonsense wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:48 pm
trokanmariel wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:00 pm

You do know, don’t you, that if you’re a bot you have to say so?
People are responding to a bot as if it has some kind of deep insight :lol: Reminds me of the film 'Being there' with Peter Sellers.
Terrapin Station

It's just another example, off the top of my head, of something that there would be zero motivation for them to write about.
trokanmariel

Post by trokanmariel »

Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:59 pm

It's just another example, off the top of my head, of something that there would be zero motivation for them to write about.

Could you perhaps explain what you mean by that?
Terrapin Station

trokanmariel wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:30 am
Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:59 pm

Could you perhaps explain what you mean by that?
What don't you understand about it?