Marriage and Family

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: Marriage and Family

Post by Age »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:37 pm
Age wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:30 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:17 pm

Which countries are you referring to?
EVERY country.

If people from other countries went to mess with ANY country, then the 'on' button for religious fanaticism is pressed.
You mean like Poland, England, Korea, Vietnam, France....? Indeed, they all reverted to religious extremism...
Yes, the words 'EVERY country' means and refers to EVERY country.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:58 am
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:06 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:01 pm

Yes they did fuck up the world, although I never did work out why the fuck the twin towers were attacked in the first place. The US had been relatively benevolent before that (I'm not saying it was exactly perfect, but it was an angel compared to what it's done to the world since 11/9).
I'd like to know who attacked the Twin Towers and why. I know Bin Laden claimed credit but I suspect it was probably wealthy people somewhere who funded and supported the attack. God knows the people who hijacked the planes were Saudi. Perhaps the Russians or Chinese had a hand in it. I don't know. But it's too late now to determine who is at fault. We need to put 9/11 behind us. It's over and done and hopefully, we've all learned lessons from it. And America needs to stop interfering in other countries. Let other countries do their thing and we have to do ours. Colonialism has ALWAYS been a bad thing. Let countries rule their own lands democratically.
I'm part way through the Netflix documentary series on 9/11 'Turning Point' and it's even more baffling why the US was attacked and not Russia. Russia started the trouble by invading Afghanistan in 1979, while the US provided the Afghan rebels with weapons to fight the Russians (for self-serving reasons, of course, but still, why attack them for it?). Bin Ladin had a privileged upbringing and wasn't even Afghan. It's all very strange and none of it makes much sense. The one certain thing is, that when you mess with a muslim country, you press the 'on' button for religious fanaticism.
It's difficult for me to understand as well. I just hope there is peace in the world and governments can get past the "eye for an eye" syndrome for at least a while. At some point, someone needs to refrain from retaliating to a retaliation attack to break the chain and let things simmer down I think. It would be nice if my leaders would be adults about this and NOT go on an invasion rampage again. I think America and we Americans should accept responsibility for the current dumpster fire the world is in and just let things settle as best we can. If a Muslim extremist next decides to do something stupid in retaliation, then we'll just have to endure it and pick up the pieces afterward instead of retaliating. The world cannot afford any more stupidity. I think my leaders have to be adults about this and try to keep the peace.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:57 pm The world cannot afford any more stupidity. I think my leaders have to be adults about this and try to keep the peace.
Amazing! You put your finger right on the problem, then totally miss it. The problem is a world filled with stupid adults who have never grown up. Perpetual children who never learn to think for themselves, believing, fearing, and doing whatever their teachers and authorities tell them, waiting for their paternal Gods and governments to lead them to peace and happiness.

Grow up, learn, think for yourself, and go to work. Why does everyone hate those ideas so much!
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Age wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:45 pm
Age wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:30 pm

EVERY country.

If people from other countries went to mess with ANY country, then the 'on' button for religious fanaticism is pressed.
You mean like Poland, England, Korea, Vietnam, France....? Indeed, they all reverted to religious extremism...
Yet you won't give a single example. Is it really so hard to simply make a point without hiding behind childrish riddles and capitals?
vegetariantaxidermy

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:57 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:06 pm

I'd like to know who attacked the Twin Towers and why. I know Bin Laden claimed credit but I suspect it was probably wealthy people somewhere who funded and supported the attack. God knows the people who hijacked the planes were Saudi. Perhaps the Russians or Chinese had a hand in it. I don't know. But it's too late now to determine who is at fault. We need to put 9/11 behind us. It's over and done and hopefully, we've all learned lessons from it. And America needs to stop interfering in other countries. Let other countries do their thing and we have to do ours. Colonialism has ALWAYS been a bad thing. Let countries rule their own lands democratically.
I'm part way through the Netflix documentary series on 9/11 'Turning Point' and it's even more baffling why the US was attacked and not Russia. Russia started the trouble by invading Afghanistan in 1979, while the US provided the Afghan rebels with weapons to fight the Russians (for self-serving reasons, of course, but still, why attack them for it?). Bin Ladin had a privileged upbringing and wasn't even Afghan. It's all very strange and none of it makes much sense. The one certain thing is, that when you mess with a muslim country, you press the 'on' button for religious fanaticism.
It's difficult for me to understand as well. I just hope there is peace in the world and governments can get past the "eye for an eye" syndrome for at least a while. At some point, someone needs to refrain from retaliating to a retaliation attack to break the chain and let things simmer down I think. It would be nice if my leaders would be adults about this and NOT go on an invasion rampage again. I think America and we Americans should accept responsibility for the current dumpster fire the world is in and just let things settle as best we can. If a Muslim extremist next decides to do something stupid in retaliation, then we'll just have to endure it and pick up the pieces afterward instead of retaliating. The world cannot afford any more stupidity. I think my leaders have to be adults about this and try to keep the peace.
The documentary made the point that Bin Laden had a hard time convincing Afghans to attack the US after it had helped them fight the Russians (perhaps that's why none of the hijackers were Afghan). He must have found some extra gullible muslims and promised them more than their quota of virgins. 'Motive' is still problematic though. Perhaps it was nothing more than a power trip and to give Bin Laden something to occupy his time after the Russians left Afghanistan.
The documentary also made the obvious point that America's evil and unjust attacks on the people of the Middle East have made the world a far 'less' safe place in regard to terrorist attacks.

Post by Age »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:49 pm

Yet you won't give a single example. Is it really so hard to simply make a point without hiding behind childrish riddles and capitals?
What part of EVERY country do you NOT understand?

Or, do you REALLY want me to name EVERY country out for you?

How can saying, 'EVERY country', be ANY type of riddle?

Capitalizing the 'every' word emphasizes that I mean and refer to absolutely every country.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Vegetarian Taxidermy wrote:
Russia started the trouble by invading Afghanistan in 1979,
What I heard is that Britain and Russia started the trouble in Afghanistan by Britain's commercial and military imperialism in India , plus Russian expansionism in the 19th century. Afghanistan was a buffer territory that neither power took seriously as a distinctive and rich cultural entity, ***
but both contended for in the interest of defending their expansionist gains.

*** Throughout all its troubled history Afghanistan remains a distinctive, richly Muslim cultural entity up to the time of the Taliban take- over. It remains to be seen whether or not the Afghan culture can survive the legacy of stupid US brutality that fed the cause of the Taliban extremists.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Well, regarding family, I've heard that a good Taliban beating will straighten out most women and cure those rich, high-fallutin notions of higher education and human rights.
vegetariantaxidermy

Age wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:06 am

Capitalizing the 'every' word emphasizes that I mean and refer to absolutely every country.
You could start with A COUPLE. That WOULD be HeLpfUL.

Post by Age »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:00 pm
Age wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:06 am

You could start with A COUPLE. That WOULD be HeLpfUL.
Here are the 'A's to start with.
Afghanistan
Albania
Algeria
Andorra
Angola
Antigua and Barbuda
Argentina
Armenia
Australia
Austria
Azerbaijan

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:50 am Well, regarding family, I've heard that a good Taliban beating will straighten out most women and cure those rich, high-fallutin notions of higher education and human rights.
Will a, so called, "good beating", from ANY human being "straighten out" ANY thing?

Or, do you think or believe that parents have a right to give a "good beating" to "their" children, especially when they "deserve it"?

If yes, then REALLY?

Or, that some people "deserve" a "good beating"?

If yes, then which people?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Age wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:36 pm
Walker wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:50 am Well, regarding family, I've heard that a good Taliban beating will straighten out most women and cure those rich, high-fallutin notions of higher education and human rights.
Will a, so called, "good beating", from ANY human being "straighten out" ANY thing?

Or, do you think or believe that parents have a right to give a "good beating" to "their" children, especially when they "deserve it"?

If yes, then REALLY?

Or, that some people "deserve" a "good beating"?

If yes, then which people?
Ask the Taliban. They beat women, and they don't discriminate.

You could also ask their victims, but you're likely to get a one-sided story, and there are so many ways to look at every phenomenon, and all opinions are equal*, as the relativists will tell you. :roll:

* no, that's just used as a Feminist escape hatch.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-58500579

Now, lest we lose focus, on to the important part.

How can we blame this on Trump?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Like you give a fuck? :lol: :lol:
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:54 pm

The documentary made the point that Bin Laden had a hard time convincing Afghans to attack the US after it had helped them fight the Russians (perhaps that's why none of the hijackers were Afghan). He must have found some extra gullible muslims and promised them more than their quota of virgins. 'Motive' is still problematic though. Perhaps it was nothing more than a power trip and to give Bin Laden something to occupy his time after the Russians left Afghanistan.
The documentary also made the obvious point that America's evil and unjust attacks on the people of the Middle East have made the world a far 'less' safe place in regard to terrorist attacks.
Well, I'm not a psychologist but my guess is that Bin Laden, being privileged and living among a lot of angry and resentful, poor Afghanis after the Russian withdrawal, needed to prove himself worthy of his Afghani followers by proving he was a savior from those that would seek to take advantage of Afghanistan's poverty and vulnerability. Perhaps the Russians initiated propaganda during their occupation saying that he was just a 'pawn' of the CIA or something and in order to prove he wasn't, maybe he decided to wage war against the US, the ultimate proof that he wasn't anyone's 'pawn'. I could actually see that as being a motive. I seem to remember Bin Laden also being opposed to US influence in his home country of Saudi Arabia after we set up bases there in the first Gulf War.

Overall the last 30 years should serve as clear evidence that military interference in the political processes of other countries in the ostensible name of "civilizing" them is as destructive to everyone as colonialism became evident after the dismantling of the British Empire. Just let other countries be on their own and if there are things that need to be resolved such as human rights abuses and whatnot, then other countries should use diplomatic means. No more military incursions. It should be left up to the citizens of countries to fix their own political machines through protest or civil disobedience.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:42 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:54 pm

Well, I'm not a psychologist but my guess is that Bin Laden, being privileged and living among a lot of angry and resentful, poor Afghanis after the Russian withdrawal, needed to prove himself worthy of his Afghani followers by proving he was a savior from those that would seek to take advantage of Afghanistan's poverty and vulnerability. Perhaps the Russians initiated propaganda during their occupation saying that he was just a 'pawn' of the CIA or something and in order to prove he wasn't, maybe he decided to wage war against the US, the ultimate proof that he wasn't anyone's 'pawn'. I could actually see that as being a motive. I seem to remember Bin Laden also being opposed to US influence in his home country of Saudi Arabia after we set up bases there in the first Gulf War.

Overall the last 30 years should serve as clear evidence that military interference in the political processes of other countries in the ostensible name of "civilizing" them is as destructive to everyone as colonialism became evident after the dismantling of the British Empire. Just let other countries be on their own and if there are things that need to be resolved such as human rights abuses and whatnot, then other countries should use diplomatic means. No more military incursions. It should be left up to the citizens of countries to fix their own political machines through protest or civil disobedience.
I agree, Gary!