Saigon - er Kabul has fallen.......oh well.

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Saigon - er Kabul has fallen.......oh well.

Post by gaffo »

not all the kings horses nor men could but ..........er not 1 trillion bucks nor 300,00 men make a whit worth with the lack to fight.

France in 1940, Itally in 1943. etc......

20 yrs for nothin, so be it. hope the folks there that threw down thier arms like living under oppresion.

not that i would do differenct in the shoes - just sayin, you got your life - vs maybe lossing if over a fight - but a life wiht chains - may you learn to live with those chains.

20 yrs - thousands dead/etc, tillions pisses away.....just like Nam, now live witht he consequences.

God with you folks - you'll need Him.
wtf

Re: Saigon - er Kabul has fallen.......oh well.

Post by wtf »

gaffo wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:23 am not all the kings horses nor men could but ..........er not 1 trillion bucks nor 300,00 men make a whit worth with the lack to fight.

20 yrs for nothin, so be it. hope the folks there that threw down thier arms like living under oppresion.

not that i would do differenct in the shoes - just sayin, you got your life - vs maybe lossing if over a fight - but a life wiht chains - may you learn to live with those chains.

20 yrs - thousands dead/etc, tillions pisses away.....just like Nam, now live witht he consequences.

It was inevitable the day we went in. Where is the accountability for the politicians and generals who lied to us for 20 years? It's awful that a 7th century Islamic fundamentalist regime is back in power. But then again, we don't hear much about the 7th century Islamic fundamentalist regime run by our great good friend the Saudis. You know, the ones up to their eyeballs in 9/11. Our foreign policy is so screwed up there is literally no hope. It's been that way since the end of WWII. Truman regretted creating the CIA, Ike warned us about the MIC, and JFK got in the way of the national security state. By the way the biggest losers of the war in Afghanistan are America's heroin addicts. Once the CIA leaves a country, the drugs dry up. Heroin during Vietnam, cocaine during Reagan's war in Latin America, back to heroin in Afghanistan. I could go on but you get the point.

Osama bin Laden wrote that he wanted to bankrupt the US. Let the man speak for himself:
"We are continuing this policy in bleeding America to the point of bankruptcy. Allah willing, and nothing is too great for Allah," bin Laden said in the transcript.

He said the mujahedeen fighters did the same thing to the Soviet Union in Afghanistan in the 1980s, "using guerrilla warfare and the war of attrition to fight tyrannical superpowers."

"We, alongside the mujahedeen, bled Russia for 10 years until it went bankrupt and was forced to withdraw in defeat," bin Laden said.

He also said al Qaeda has found it "easy for us to provoke and bait this administration."

"All that we have to do is to send two mujahedeen to the furthest point east to raise a piece of cloth on which is written al Qaeda, in order to make generals race there to cause America to suffer human, economic and political losses without their achieving anything of note other than some benefits for their private corporations," bin Laden said.
Wherever he is right now, he's laughing.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Stupid fucking yanks with your armchair 'opinions'. 90+ percent of you wouldn't have a clue where Afghanistan is.
Averroes

Post by Averroes »

They fought hard for 20 years with their limited means against the "strongest" and wealthiest military in the world, and they won, liberating their country from foreign occupation. Moreover, they got their enermy saying of themselves that their exit from the country was so shameful and embarrassing! Congratulations to the victors. May Palestine be the next.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

gaffo wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:23 am not all the kings horses nor men could but ..........er not 1 trillion bucks nor 300,00 men make a whit worth with the lack to fight.

France '45 & Italy '43 were liberations.

Afgahistan 2001, what was that? Saigon what was that?
They were invasions by a foreign hostile force.
America does not understand the basic dynamics of warfare. You cannot win a war without the will to mass murder.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Averroes wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:39 am They fought hard for 20 years with their limited means against the "strongest" and wealthiest military in the world, and they won, liberating their country from foreign occupation. Moreover, they got their enermy saying of themselves that their exit from the country was so shameful and embarrassing! Congratulations to the victors. May Palestine be the next.
I'll drink to that.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:32 am
Averroes wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:39 am ...liberating their country...
I'll drink to that.
I wonder how many Afghani women are "drinking to that" right now.
Averroes

Post by Averroes »

Averroes wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:39 am They fought hard for 20 years with their limited means against the "strongest" and wealthiest military in the world, and they won, liberating their country from foreign occupation. Moreover, they got their enermy saying of themselves that their exit from the country was so shameful and embarrassing! Congratulations to the victors. May Palestine be the next.
I'll drink to that.
I'll invite you for dinner then, if you would accept my invitation. And I am sure all Afghani women and children as well will then be happy for the Palestinian women and children, who are now being persecuted in their own country on a daily basis.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

They fought hard for 20 years with their limited means against the "strongest" and wealthiest military in the world, and they won, liberating their country from foreign occupation.

They won nuthin'. The US was there solely to put money in somebody's pockets. The US is leavin' solely becuz the cash cow is played out. If makin' bucks were still an option, the US would sit in Afghanistan installing democracy for another 20 years and the Islamists would be out in the cold.

Moreover, they got their enermy saying of themselves that their exit from the country was so shameful and embarrassing!

This is true. A whole whack of public figures are kvetchin' about the pull out. Instead, they should be relieved we're leavin' a place we shoulda never been encamped in in the first place. This, of course, is quite apart from criticizing the shoddy way we're withdrawing. We coulda walked out and instead are buggin' out.
Averroes

Post by Averroes »

They won nuthin'.

Surely doesn't seem like it, however.

The US is leavin' solely becuz the cash cow is played out.

If by the "cash cow" is meant US taxpayers money, sounds true to me.

This is true. A whole whack of public figures are kvetchin' about the pull out. Instead, they should be relieved we're leavin' a place we shoulda never been encamped in in the first place.

Yep
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Surely doesn't seem like it, however.

Well, they won millions of dollars of equipment we should be bringin' home, and they won control of Afghanistan, and they won counting coup. But they won nuthin' thru actual ouster. They won only cuz consultants and contractors weren't makin' dough as they used to.

In the end, it doesn't really matter though. The US (the State) has shown itself to be incompetent and unreliable, and America (the free men and women) are on the hook for it.

If by the "cash cow" is meant US taxpayers money, sounds true to me.

Absolutely. American dollars and lives pissed away to play savior to a people who didn't ask for help, didn't want help, and -- news reports to the contrary -- are probably glad we're gone.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:29 pm
Averroes wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:39 am ...liberating their country...
I'll drink to that.
More than you would think.
The Taliban will mean an end to crime.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

The fisaco of Vietnam and Afghanistan demonstrate clearly that you cannot impose democracy by bombing and torture.
What the US did in both places made the prospect of living a better life far more difficult than it was before.

Ho Chi Minh was educated in the USA an was inspired by the AMerican revolution, as his own country Vietnam was under the yoke of the French occupation.
He continually made pleas with the US for aid to liberated Vietnam.
How different would the outcome have been had they helped.
Instead the US supported the Catholic dictatorship, and the "north" vietnamese had a bigger fight, this lead to a more and more arrgessive policy and the moderate wing of Ho CHi Minh's faction lost control the the extremists.

Time will tell just how poorly Afghanistan has been treated.
Averroes

Post by Averroes »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:27 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:29 pm
I'll drink to that.
More than you would think.
The Taliban will mean an end to crime.
You should read this: https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-wor ... ort-says/
It says, among others:
  • A former Special Forces officer, Capt. Dan Quinn, who beat up an Afghan commander for keeping a boy chained to his bed as a sex slave, said at the time that he had been relieved of his command as a result. “We were putting people into power who would do things that were worse than the Taliban did,” said Quinn, who has left the military.

Sgt. 1st Class Charles Martland, a highly decorated Green Beret, was forced out of the military after beating up an Afghan local police commander in Kunduz who was a child rapist. Martland became incensed after the Afghan commander abducted the boy, raped him, then beat up the boy’s mother when she tried to rescue him. Congressional inquiries apparently led to Martland’s reinstatement.

The Times article also cited the suspicious death of Lance Cpl. Gregory Buckley Jr., a U.S. Marine who was killed at a checkpoint where he was stationed with a notorious commander who had a retinue of bacha bazi boys. Buckley had complained about that commander and was killed, along with two other Marines, by one of the commander’s boys.

The SIGAR report made no mention of the cases of Buckley, Quinn or Martland, and it appeared to have interviewed only three unnamed U.S. soldiers who reported being aware of the practice, which many soldiers and Afghan officials have told journalists they know to be widespread.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:46 am Stupid fucking yanks with your armchair 'opinions'. 90+ percent of you wouldn't have a clue where Afghanistan is.
:lol:

So true, most if not all corn-fed yanks are so brain dead, they are not even the slightest bit aware there is another world outside of their own American field of dreams.

Turns out the richest country in the world treats it's own citizens like they are 3rd world. They do not even know, the other 3rd world countries are laughing their heads off at the hypocrisy.